Godzuki26 thinks there needs to be a Weightweenie Scott Scale 900 SL build in the USA. With my Covid 19 paincave [pg 44]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

One Berd spoke weighs 2.54 grams. If you paint it black it will weigh 2.59 grams. So for 56 spokes you are looking at a 2.25 gram increase if you choose to paint them. The white is winning me over right now because if I paint them black they will just look like standard black aluminum spokes.

:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Poynt's recently built wheelset using Carbonfan rims, Extralite Hubs with ceramic bearings, titanium spokes, and aluminum nipples. The lightest 27.5 mountain bike wheelset in the world? If anyone can beat this 27.5 wheelset, please post it. This has to be the lightest in the world!!!!!!! Carbonfan rims are so damn light. Lighter than Lightbicycle rims as well as the insanely expensive Grigiocarbonio rims. The customer service of Carbonfan was top notch. I will be a repeat customer for sure.

ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slammed

by Slammed

I saw Poynt's wheels on instagram Those are insane. How are they so light? Is he using either a 24/24 or a 24/28 spoke count + even lighter rims? Really impressive.

poynt

by poynt

@slammed: Yes I tried a 24/24 setup, ceramic upgrade, sanded rims ala Godzuki, but as they're 650b they are lighter by 20g per rim. (234/235g) the Pillar spokes are similar weight to the Berds by the time you add in the little extra pieces like the metal collar and bar.
I have a Boost build on the way and may go 28/24 but even if I went 28/28 I recon the build would still be around 850+g. Also the whole whelset build was under £1k.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Plan is to go tubeless and run a wider tire but just going for the lightest options right now. Tubolito S-Tube is the lightest tube in the world. They are lighter than the Eclipse tubes that I have and are known to be more durable. I was able to save a couple grams by using a shorter valve stem.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Fri May 10, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Veloplugs are lighter than using tape. Obviously they cannot be used once I go tubeless with sealant, but for now this will do. Check out the weight to cover all 56 spoke holes.

ImageFelt AR FRD

themidge

by themidge

So.. what happens when you go riding in the mud with those nice white spokes?

Or is this bike not going to get muddy? :wink:

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Well, Dyneema is completely non-absorbent, so it won’t do anything other sit on the surface of the spokes, in the unlikely event this bike gets taken out on an actual MTB trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

:) It's not exactly the same as the nylon/lycra mix your race jersey is made of.....

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The spokes getting dirty was a concern of mine too. However, they are not what they look like when you touch them. They are actually super smooth with a wax type of feel to them. When I tried to spray the one spoke with the Tamiya PS-46 neochrome can, the paint just repelled off. After attempting 3 coats, the color stayed completely white with no paint binding to the spoke. I was able to use a black paint marker to make them black as shown in the previous post. Maybe this is why the spokes are only available in one color at the moment. I am interested to see how the black Dyneema rope feels on the Darimo seatpost. I should be getting my Darimo clamp, seatpost, and handlebar real soon as they were shipped to me a few days ago.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Don't hate :oops: I know these are just show tires that are not practical. They feel as thin as the Furious Freds I ditched on my 26er years ago. I am just going for weight right now. Like I mentioned earlier, I am going tubless 2.35 with Stans sealant after I am done building this bike. We have a lot of thorns in my area and I will flat if I don't use the Stans sealant.

The weights on the Maxxlite 29s are annoying me. One of them is 345 grams and the other is 358 grams. 13 grams may not seem like a lot but to me it is a shit load. Poynt had this problem too with his Maxxlites weighing more than other peoples.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I actually pulled these rotors out of my parts bin. They are generation 1 Scrub rotors in 160mm. Sadly, Scrub is no longer producing rotors. Their latest was a magnesium caged RaceDay Rotor that was 45 grams for a 160mm. Nothing is even close to that weight right now and I wish I bought some back in 2010. Does anybody remember Innolite? They made a 47 gram 160mm rotor that was ceramic. What about the gold Stans rotors? Anyone remember those? Anyways, the only way to get this stuff now is out of your old parts bin or on Ebay. KCNC makes a 160mm rotor that is 53 grams but they are made out of titanium. They probably suck but I would like to hear of any user experience with titanium rotors.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I need a crankset with a Boost chainline. I have read so much about the failure of Raceface Next cranks and I am somewhat turned off. They are also not the lightest available. The new Eagle Dub SL crank is also not the lightest. They are around 420 grams with the same configuration. There is a new E.Thirteen XCXR crankset coming out this July that is claimed to be 392 grams with a 32T chainring. Their 32T chainring is claimed at 54 grams so that would make the arms 338 grams.

The THM M3 has a Boost Garbaruk chainring that is 61 grams at 32T. The arms weigh 336 grams on R2Bike scale. So total with 32T is 397 grams at double the price.

Still the lightest configuration is what Moyo did with a Clavicula Classic MTB crank using an Extralite Octaone chainring. I am not sure how the Boost chainline is achieved using this setup but it is about 50 grams lighter than the E.13 and M3 set ups. I want to do this but the THM DP crankset has been discontinued for a few years. They are unavailable and quite rare in the used for sale market.

I plan to wait for the XCXR cranks. Hopefully their production models come in at the claimed weight.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/11/ethirt ... -and-more/

ImageFelt AR FRD

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Hey, my Berds did not have hub-side metal collars, is that something new? I did not consider full ceramic bearings for weight saving before, thanks for the advice, but the site you mentioned recommends "track use only", which is discouraging.
Last edited by Klaster_1 on Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

themidge wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:09 pm
So.. what happens when you go riding in the mud with those nice white spokes?
The mud still clings to spokes and there's some slight residue between spoke strands, but no too much. Here's a photo after a muddy ride (the bike has been collecting dust ever since).
Attachments
IMG_20190512_220915.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com