Godzuki26 thinks there needs to be a Weightweenie Scott Scale 900 SL build in the USA. With my Covid 19 paincave [pg 44]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Orbital

by Orbital

Wow! Live and learn I guess. High five for no injuries!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

I'm surprised the mech hanger didn't fail first, they are supposed to be sacrificial so the frame doesn't get killed!

If you've got a good composites guy nearby it could probably be fixed.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

godzuki26

by godzuki26

My experience has always been the hanger breaking off and not taking the carbon fiber with it. I haven't really gotten into much about the wife's build and will post more information and details on it (weight pics, ect) when I get a minute from my work schedule. The catastrophic failure happened a couple months ago and I have since already replaced the frame with another identical one. The version 2, which my wife took out this weekend for the first time was excellent and I made ver 2.0 about 400 grams lighter than the previous attempt.

Anyways, the reasons I think this happened are:

1. Mixing a Boost spaced crank and chainring with a non-Boost 142mm rear drop out frame.

2. Inexperienced rider.

3. Me not recognizing the excessive cross chaining when in the 50 tooth rear cog.

4. Power of Electronic vs Mechanical shifting where someone can shift to the wrong gear under heavy loads with zero effort.

5. Possibly a faulty frame but unlikely in my opinion.

6. Rear derailleur limit screws not set properly.

7. Chain too short.

What do you guys think?
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

Chain too short plus inexperienced rider can certainly do the job!
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

grover

by grover

bent hanger/limit screw problem or
chain too long or too short combined with incorrect b-tension

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@grover - the chain being too long would cause the chain to possibly fall off the pulleys and get caught in the spokes? Surprisingly there was zero damage to the spokes and the derailleur cage never touched the spokes. I wish I had better picture of the horrible chain line in the 50t. It was very obvious and visible especially when the chain was coming off narrow wide teeth on the chainring. When the AXS Derailleur ripped off the carbon, my wife was in a 32t x 50t gear spinning up a 12% to 15% grade hill on pavement while seated. Nice smooth and easy cadence for maybe about 150 feet and then right before she crested the hill there was a big "SNAP" sound and the derailleur was hanging on the bike only by the chain.

I ended up realigning the chain line with a nonBoost chainring. I also set the limit screws so that she cannot use the 50 tooth on ver 2.0 of the bike. I limit her to 46 tooth max. So far no damage but only 2 rides so far.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

To complete the paincave set up, I just purchased a Technogym Myrun. I have wanted this treadmill for over 3 years and look forward to having it. I have not been able to try it out or physically seen one because nobody has one near me. What I like about it is the seamless integration with Zwift without the need for external belt speed readers or foot pods. I first saw this treadmill when Zwift used them to introduce Zwift Run a few years ago. The video showing Lucy Charles running on it. My wife wanted the Assault Air Runner curved treadmill but I hated it because it makes you slower in Zwift Run compared to all the other Zwifters putting out the same effort. The Air Runner was still nice because it also integrated with Zwift through a Bluetooth connection through the head unit. So, it was still the "smartest" curve treadmill out there if you compared it to something like a Trueform curve treadmill. But, the Air Runner made my Zwift Avatar far too slow with the amount of effort I was putting in.Yes, I am fully aware that running outside on trail or pavement is much better but I needed a treadmill so I can get some work in when it is dark and cold outside. The Air Runner does simulate real world running better I will still have to say but if you are moving slower than everyone else in Zwift, it makes the whole virtual running simulation dreadful....at least for me. If "most" Zwift runners are running on a motorized treadmill that propels you forward then that's what I want to use too :)

I should post a question like this on Reddit but I find more knowledgeable folks on this forum. My garage only has GFCI outlets. I believe all outlets in here are GFCI for building code compliance. I have read in many places that treadmills don't play nice with GFCI outlets and should be plugged into standard grounded outlets. I read, after I already ordered the Myrun, that treadmills may trip the breaker when starting up or on heavy efforts when plugged into a GFCI outlet. Am I out of luck here and will this treadmill turn into a laundry clothing hanger? Should I cancel my order? Or should I be ok with a GFCI wall outlet since this is a newer tech treadmill? Unfortunately, the sales rep at Technogym did not know and I could not find anything in the Technogym Myrun owners manual saying that GFCI outlets are incompatible. I would hate to learn this incompatibility after the item is already delivered to my home. What was great about the Assault Air Runner was it didn't need any power input because it was not motorized. The Myrun is 120 VAC-60 HZ-15A and my breaker for the GFCI outlet is 20A.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Looks like I am getting the treadmill this Friday. Upon research online, it seems like most people with my issue have used the Tripp-Lite Isobar solution. I went through all the Amazon reviews as well and there are many positive reviews where this surge protector was plugged into a GFCI outlet and it worked fine by not tripping the breakers. I hope this works out because if it doesn't, this treadmill will turn into a laundry hangar for my wife. I got the Isobar with the longest 25ft cable just to have more options and room to move the treadmill around in the garage.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Received the Technogym Myrun as scheduled at 7am on Friday. They were punctual and it was delivered via freight. A crew of 3 people unloaded it and promptly put it together in less than 5 mins. Technogym also sent a fourth tech guy who arrived in his own separate car to help answer any questions, talk about the apps, and help install and configure all the apps. It was great service from Technogym. There really isn't a lot of information about this treadmill but it is definitely high tech. It instantly integrated with Zwift and all the run metrics are included out of the box without having to add any of my own sensors. So, it is indeed a true smart treadmill. It is also designed very well with a smaller footprint and has a beautiful head unit rather than those typical star craft warp speed control center looking head units found on other treadmills.

My concerns with having GFCI outlets was indeed correct and as soon as I go past 4mph on the treadmill the GFCI triggers and shuts the power off. Adding a buffer between the treadmill and the GFCI outlet with an IsoTripp surge suppressor to filter out the energy spikes did not work despite many people who have said it worked for them.

I'm not sure if installing a non GFCI outlet in the garage is an option as I will violate building code and will have problems when I try to sell the house. This just means I have to move the treadmill now to my other house.

ImageFelt AR FRD

mcfarton

by mcfarton

That looks way nicer than my old treadmill. Zwift running is mehh. It’s better than not running. I would just switch the outlet and then whenever you want to sell switch it back. Or just leave it and see if anyone complains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I would have to agree Zwift run is mehhhhh too. What would make it much better would be if Zwift Run recognized gradient shifts and the treadmill incline worked automatically like the Kickr climb. Also, you set the speed on the Zwift Run and there is no resistance changes as well. So, I can run up Alp D Zwift as fast as I would be running on the Watopia 400m flat surface. So from that stand point, Zwift Run isn't quite where it needs to be yet in terms of matching or even coming close to imitating running outdoors. I was much slower on it with a non motor curve treadmill (Assault Airrunner) but this motorized treadmill makes me faster because the belt propels me forward. Zwift Run is more about the social aspect. Running with others, joining events, ect. But treadmill work can also help train foot speed and foot strike as well as focusing on form while watching yourself in a mirror. If there is a treadmill in the near future to accept some firmware updates to sense gradient changes, then this is the treadmill. It's very fancy for a home treadmill and actually looks nice. The treadmill is instantly picked up by Zwift during the pairing step along with cadence. The only sensor I add to this set up is my Wahoo Tickr and that is also picked up immediately in Zwift when turning it on. Very effortless and no fiddling with blue tooth pairing and multiple external sensors.

The Technogym MyRun is also attempting to compete with the Peloton Run by having personal trainers to follow through the app. So, that is what the Technogym Live app is for. This app is for an iPad and it also acts as a head unit for the treadmill. So now instead of using the levers and physical buttons on the treadmill you can now use the IPad which mounts perfectly on this treadmill. Inside this app there are multiple training sessions and live instructors. I haven't messed around with the classes yet but so far it doesn't look like a paid subscription service like the Peloton. This is nice because unlike the Peloton, I can use my screen to do whatever I want like watch Netflix, stream Spotify, run Zwift, run Rouvy. Peloton locks you completely out of everything except for their app.....unless you jailbreak it which is not that hard to do but you will immediately void the warranty on your $4300 treadmill. The one issue I see is the Myrun treadmill can only connect to one blue tooth connection. What this means is I cannot run Zwift and the Technogym Live app simultaneously. It is one or the other. This is similar to not being able to run Trainer Road and Zwift at the same time on the Wahoo Kickr. Not a big deal and I don't see myself really following aerobic instructor dudes sweating and trying to motivate me through the Technogym app.

ImageFelt AR FRD

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Well I will point out what your paincave is missing. If you actually enjoy using the equipment you have I know what you need. I made the same progression as you (way pass fancy). You need a concept2 erg rower. It’s fantastic suffering. I would give up my treadmill before my erg. I am going to bet that it is only a matter of time till you get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimmS

by TimmS

You need a Tacx Magnum!

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Mcfarton - I already have a Concept 2 SkiErg which can be brutal. Pairing it with the Concept 2 Rower and super setting between the two would be a killer workout!

@TimmS - that Tacx Magnum would cause a fire in my garage. The power consumption on that thing must be crazy! I don't know anyone who actually owns that piece of equipment but man I wish I had one ☝️

Here are some of the screen shots of the Technogym Live app. Like I said earlier, it reminds me of Peloton. The IPad basically takes over as the head unit and you can change speed and incline settings through the tablet. I tried one of the HIT workouts and liked it. I'll probably use it mainly with Zwift but I'm sure my wife will like the Technogym Live workouts on this treadmill.

ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mice20

by mice20

godzuki26 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:40 am
When putting together a Weightweenie build, it is important to spend the most effort on the frame, fork, and the wheelset. The biggest chunks of weight are saved in those 3 main areas. After everything possible is done with those three, you can start spending tons of $$$ on the little things to save the final grams. Atleast from my experience, it is after the frame, fork, and wheelset where I always go over my budget and spend too much money. For me, the last part is where tuning and Dremel work becomes necessary at least from my experience. So, I am now on the last big part of this build which is the wheelset.

The obvious choice for hubset is Extralite. The front fork will need the Extralite HyperBoost front with the 110mm spacing. The rear will require the Extralite HyperBoost with 148mm spacing. The front hub is 74 grams and the rear hub is 163 grams which is very light. I already ordered the Extralite Hubs. But one can save another 33 grams from the hubset by getting full ceramic bearings. Check out what Poynt did. I need to go to full ceramic too.

Hi,
ceramic bearings work?