Argon18 Dark matter: Retirement Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

prebsy

by prebsy

After many years of racing of mixing it up as a cat 1 I decided to say goodbye to that crit life. Consider this the retirement bike, the quiver killer, this is me going all Kerouac or whatever other expression is necessary.

A ton of reasons why I really liked this bike as a do it all solution. I was between this and the exploro but couldn't swallow the price tag for a complete build with a bunch of components I didn't actually want.

Current setup is with 38 gravel grinders but in the future I'll have 700c wheels with road tires (28-32) and 650b wheels with 2.XX for the fun stuff. Residing in a city makes owning a dedicated MTB a bit foolish but an extra wheelset is all you need to have a blast.

I really wanted a 2x so I could do plenty of road riding along with single track and some light duty touring.

Many upgrades and modifications are on the way, so stay tuned.

(First ride: Clopper lake Gaithersburg MD)Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orbital

by Orbital

Love this bike. It’s one I’m hoping to add by the end of summer.

prebsy

by prebsy

A couple weeks on loving it so far but damn portly at 9.1kg

Changes so far:
Easton ec70ax 40cm handlebars
Kalloy Uno 120 -17
Tesa cloth tape
Specialized power saddle

It's currently in road mode but I'll be using it for a light tour at the end of April. I want to swap out the compact for a subcompact. I can't decide between a set of absolute black rings and an ec90sl with the 1 piece 46/30 rings ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

fa63

by fa63

Looks great; is that size M or L? I have one on order, but I was told they are not available until the end of the month. I am in between sizes; 183 cm tall with 85 cm inseam. Curious to hear what size you went with and how tall you are.

Also, how does it ride in roadie mode? I plan to have this as my only bike, but haven't seen too many real life reviews.

prebsy

by prebsy

This is the medium. I'm 183cm, saddle height just under 75cm. Honestly it feels great as a road bike. I'm still trying to line up the correct 650 wheels to do the off road stuff.

fa63

by fa63

Great, thanks. My saddle height is closer to 77 cm, but I think the M frame with the +15mm headset cover and a 120 mm stem will work well for me.

Keep us posted on the 650b wheels; I am also curious if the frame/fork will take a 50mm tire in 650b configuration.

prebsy

by prebsy

Finally got the 650b wheels. 2.0 inch tire fits well but I wouldn't go bigger in the rear.Image

fa63

by fa63

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

I actually just got mine in as well; I went with the size L in the end. Based on my short rides so far it feels like it will be a fun bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com