Kazyole's Cervelo RCA: 5.3kg (New pics on page 3)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SQUICCHI

by SQUICCHI

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:50 am
How does those Corima wheels feel?
They are amazing and super light, very stiff as well, a little bit less than a kg for the pair.
But at the same time I suggest to use them only if you have a lightweight body, I'm 53kg, so no problems at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

SQUICCHI wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:12 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
They are amazing and super light, very stiff as well, a little bit less than a kg for the pair.
But at the same time I suggest to use them only if you have a lightweight body, I'm 53kg, so no problems at all.
Why only if you're light weight?
I'm + 30Kg from you :mrgreen:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:10 pm
SQUICCHI wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
Not Squicchi, but Corima puts a weight limit on their wheels of 100kg for the rider + the bike. So if you're ~83kg and are riding a ~6-7kg bike, you're at 9/10 of the limit. Often times a rider at close to the limit for a pair of wheels will find them to be insufficiently stiff. I don't know if that's specifically true for Corima, but I'd guess that's what he's referring to.

SQUICCHI

by SQUICCHI

Kazyole wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:02 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
SQUICCHI wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
Not Squicchi, but Corima puts a weight limit on their wheels of 100kg for the rider + the bike. So if you're ~83kg and are riding a ~6-7kg bike, you're at 9/10 of the limit. Often times a rider at close to the limit for a pair of wheels will find them to be insufficiently stiff. I don't know if that's specifically true for Corima, but I'd guess that's what he's referring to.
Kazyole what you say it's correct.......but if you imagine being 83kg + 7 the bike, using these wheels and while riding you get a road pothole......so....by bye Corima wheels.
I say this because it happened, fortunately I was light and the whole structure responded very well, both frame and wheels........so you can but be careful!

SQUICCHI

by SQUICCHI

Kazyole wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:02 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
SQUICCHI wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
Kazyole what you say it's correct.......but if you imagine being 83kg + 7 the bike, using these wheels and while riding you get a road pothole......so....by bye Corima wheels.
I say this because it happened, fortunately I was light and the whole structure responded very well, both frame and wheels........so you can but be careful!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If you are seated and run into a pothole, curb or anything like that, you'd probably damage every carbon rim.
That's why you bunny hop over these things.
On one of my routes there's cut out sections in the tarmac (about 7 of them). It's a fairly aggressive cut about 3cm with a sharp edge.
I never stop for these, i always jump over them. Usually same for curbs.
I think this all began when i started to ride gravel. Alot of shit to jump over...
I doubt Corima wheels would impose any problems for me.

I have read that some guys find the carbon spoked Corima wheels stiff to a point it affect the ride feel negatively, that's why i asked.
I remember my former CCU, they felt extremely responsive and stiff. To a point it was too much.
But back then i was 63Kgs and also rode Scott Foil gen 1.
The MCC certainly look very good, it would be interesting to try them.
I had in mind buying them, but i backed out and ordered the alu spoked version.
When the dealer got them, they proved to be rather heavy, about 1530-1550g (clincher), so i pulled out and ordered a custom made set instead.
Schmolke TLO 45, CX ray and Carbon Ti hubs. 1253g with rim tape.
That's the clincher version. Otherwise i also have a set of Ax wheels at 1010 grams.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Kazyole

by Kazyole

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:43 pm
If you are seated and run into a pothole, curb or anything like that, you'd probably damage every carbon rim.
On one of my routes there's cut out sections in the tarmac (about 7 of them). It's a fairly aggressive cut about 3cm with a sharp edge.
I think this all began when i started to ride gravel. Alot of shit to jump over...

I have read that some guys find the carbon spoked Corima wheels stiff to a point it affect the ride feel negatively, that's why i asked.
I remember my former CCU, they felt extremely responsive and stiff. To a point it was too much.
When the dealer got them, they proved to be rather heavy, about 1530-1550g (clincher), so i pulled out and ordered a custom made set instead.
That's the clincher version. Otherwise i also have a set of Ax wheels at 1010 grams.
How do you like the Schmolke rims? I'm half considering eventually trying to build up a set of stupid tubs with AX Lightness 25Ts, berd spokes, and Extralite hubs. Would come out under 700g. I've never really ridden tubs but considering it as a project/experiment for next year. At which point I might lose the AX clinchers I currently have for TLO 45s. Assuming I decide i can justify two sets of wheels.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I just mounted Turbo cotton on these. I've been riding Pirelli p zero 4s previously.
These Pirelli tires works well in shitty conditions, but they don't feel very fast.
So i kind of "hold" on giving any deeper opinion until i've been riding with Turbo cotton.
What i do note, stopping power is very good with Reynolds blue pads. Otherwise i think they are nice wheels.
But i'm not sure i would say they're special like Lightweight, Corima MCC, Mavic CCU and Bike Ahead.

Another thing, these are clinchers and i'm used to tubulars.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Kazyole wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:43 pm

How do you like the Schmolke rims? I'm half considering eventually trying to build up a set of stupid tubs with AX Lightness 25Ts, berd spokes, and Extralite hubs. Would come out under 700g. I've never really ridden tubs but considering it as a project/experiment for next year.
If you decide to build that pair of dream wheels, do use the extralite HyperRear mtb hubs for the rear wheel, the road version has a big difference between drive/NDS distance to centre which is not ideal. But using Berd spokes is the way to go for light builds imo, ti spokes fatigue and broke on me after merely 2.5k km.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mep

by Mep

Why do you feel that living in an apartment rules out tubulars? I live in a one bedroom and have 3 bikes on tubulars. It's just additional set up time, but with 3 bikes I always have one ready to go. Sealant has always worked for me when I run into flats, and if that fails there's always Uber.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Mep wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:01 pm
Why do you feel that living in an apartment rules out tubulars? I live in a one bedroom and have 3 bikes on tubulars. It's just additional set up time, but with 3 bikes I always have one ready to go. Sealant has always worked for me when I run into flats, and if that fails there's always Uber.
A couple things:

1. Mostly just I've always run clinchers. I'm used to them. Swapping out a tube in the event of a flat is easy and gets me back on the road at 100%. With tubs I at least had a concern about flatting and then being stranded. However in reading up in the past few days, I've found a number of people (yourself included now) saying that sealant is a reliable way of addressing that issue.

2. Lack of space. My apt isn't huge. I only have the one bike, and I don't have space for a bunch of spare wheels. So in general I'd prefer to have one wheelset and use it every time I ride.

I'm considering alternatively having Berd rebuild my current wheelset with their spokes, but it would require a different front hub and apparently with the straight pull rear hub causes an issue that makes the non-driveside bearings impossible to service without removing the spokes. So working through what I want to do there.

Mep

by Mep

Makes sense, the first reason isn't really a strong one but it sounds like you already came round to that. Lack of space is trickier, what I do is have a corner for the trainer and that's where my wheels/bike stuff go. Carbon wheelsets make good art pieces on a blank wall! Best of luck with your decision. Can't go too wrong with this bike.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Mep wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:08 am
Makes sense, the first reason isn't really a strong one but it sounds like you already came round to that. Lack of space is trickier, what I do is have a corner for the trainer and that's where my wheels/bike stuff go. Carbon wheelsets make good art pieces on a blank wall! Best of luck with your decision. Can't go too wrong with this bike.
Yeah, "I've always done it this way" is hardly the strongest of reasons. And it seems to me that my concerns about tubs for daily riding are largely overblown. Now I'm in a pickle though, because I already have a set of very nice clinchers at around where I'd like to be in terms of rim depth. If I'm going to have a pair of tubs, it would stand to reason that I'd want them to be as light as possible. If I'm going to have a pair of each, it would make sense to have some variation in rim depth. Deeper clinchers for lower rolling resistance/greater overall speed, and lightweight tubs for climbing.

So I'm thinking if I were to buy some tubs, I'd probably do them in a similar general depth (~30mm), and then sell my clinchers and buy a pair with deeper rims in maybe the 50mm range.

I'm weighing options now. I like the idea of giving Berd spokes a try. The weight savings are super tempting but I can't rebuild my existing wheels with them, as they don't work well with the straight pull extralite stuff.

So I could go budget and get BTLOS rims at 285g per rim at 30mm depth, lace them with berd spokes to extralite j bend hubs, and have a pretty reasonably priced wheelset at ~870g. Which seems like a pretty respectable option for what I'd pay.

Or I could spend significantly more money to get Schmolke rims at 270g/30mm, saving 30g. Or go all out and try to get a pair of AX lightness rims in either 25T (195g) or a more reasonable all around depth of 38T (285g). All the above options with decently lightweight tubs would get me under 5kg which is a bonus. But the AX Lightness 25T option at 690g for the wheelset is just absurd, and very attractive. That would be around 520g or more saved over my current setup depending on tire choice, which would get me under 4.8kg total incl cages, pedals, & wahoo + mount. Which I like the sound of a lot...

I just kind of hate the idea of leaving weight on the table. But also having never really ridden tubs before, am hesitant to drop 3k on a wheelset from the beginning. If there are good options I'm missing anyone please feel free to let me know. I'm only in the early phases of my research. Admittedly I don't know as much about tubs as I'd like.

Tough decisions.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

At the risk of turning this into a tub education thread, I hope to assure you that there's nothing much to using tubulars. Find nice tubs, glue it on, and enjoy. If it punctures, I pour liquid sealant in, inflate and move on. My ww choice is vittoria corsa speed 23mm glued with vittoria mastik pro. Get the best rims you can, you'll enjoy the experience much more and know that you didn't leave any weight savings off them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

If you don't want to go tub, I got some 30mm deep 26mm wide tubeless/clincher rims from carbonfan and they weighed 333.2g and 335.4g. So that would be ~970g with your Berd/Extralite build.