Kazyole's Cervelo RCA: 5.3kg (New pics on page 3)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jbaillie

by jbaillie

*chef's kiss*

That carbon-ti chainring / SRM combo is apparently the unofficial crank of WW.

exctasy

by exctasy

Kazyole wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm
exctasy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:44 am
This looks AWESOME!
"It’s noticeably better than my R5. By a considerable margin. For its weight it feels solid and planted. It’s lively without being twitchy."
so the trickle down to R5, wasnt that much eh :)
Thanks!

To be fair, the R5 that I had ridden prior to this was the same generation as the RCA. It was a ~2015 (the one with the red toptube), so there hadn't really been any time to trickle anything down. It's possible that the newer R5 has some of that additional compliance. Though at least according to the owner of the bike shop I stop at most often when I'm out riding, "there isn't anything out there that rides like the RCA."
I just totalled the same red toptube r5...and ive also got an rca on the way :D
after seeing your build, i'm so excited for mine!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kazyole

by Kazyole

jbaillie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:59 pm
*chef's kiss*

That carbon-ti chainring / SRM combo is apparently the unofficial crank of WW.
The crankset is one of my favorite parts of the bike for sure. The trilobes are a cool idea and I'm sure simplify their manufacturing, but not sucha a useful feature for the end-user. Ultimately I ended up going for the origin mostly for the low weight and rechargeable battery. It's one of those things that now looking back I wonder why we haven't had rechargeable batteries this whole time. I almost can't imagine I ever did it a different way.

The Carbon Ti rings are probably one of the most frivolousl/vain upgrades I've bought. They were only ~23g lighter than Dura Ace, but I just think they look damn cool.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

exctasy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:11 am
Kazyole wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm
exctasy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:44 am
This looks AWESOME!
"It’s noticeably better than my R5. By a considerable margin. For its weight it feels solid and planted. It’s lively without being twitchy."
so the trickle down to R5, wasnt that much eh :)
Thanks!

To be fair, the R5 that I had ridden prior to this was the same generation as the RCA. It was a ~2015 (the one with the red toptube), so there hadn't really been any time to trickle anything down. It's possible that the newer R5 has some of that additional compliance. Though at least according to the owner of the bike shop I stop at most often when I'm out riding, "there isn't anything out there that rides like the RCA."
This post is a rollercoaster of emotions. Sucks that you totalled your R5, but I'm super excited for your RCA. Planned out the build yet?

exctasy

by exctasy

Kazyole wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:19 am
exctasy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:11 am

This post is a rollercoaster of emotions. Sucks that you totalled your R5, but I'm super excited for your RCA. Planned out the build yet?
I'll be transferring the usable parts from the R5 over.
No WW cranks like yours though :D

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Still haven't gotten around to doing a proper photoshoot yet.

But I have ordered a new bottom bracket that should drop around 50g, and inspired by a post on reddit I've ordered some techflex sleeving to tidy up my wiring/brake cable as it enters the frame. I'll probably wait until I'm able to order the Darimo handlebar to install though, and do it all at once.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Techflex-1-8-E ... 2749.l2649

Added a chaincatcher from omni-racer. So, add 7g.

Also realized as I was out riding that something didn't feel right. And as it turns out my saddle height was too low. Either must have slipped or I gave my shop the wrong number. Either way, fixed it now and it looks far better imo.

Cell phone shot from my ride today.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I happen to love your bling pulley and chain! Need to go all out with an exclusive frame like this. Small frame with long stem. Loving this.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

Kazyole

by Kazyole

godzuki26 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:22 am
I happen to love your bling pulley and chain! Need to go all out with an exclusive frame like this. Small frame with long stem. Loving this.
Thanks! Bike needed a little bit of color I think. And if a gold chain automatically makes you faster, I figured gold pulley wheels couldn't hurt. Really wish that recon gold cassette wasn't so much heavier than the omni racer one and I could do a gold cassette as well.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Long time/no update. Coming into 2020 with some plans for weight reduction.

Through some updates I didn't post, my current weight is down to 5453 (THM Fibulas, THM Ulna bars, and a lighter bottom bracket)

Here are my plans for this year:

• Darimo ellipse handlebars in 38cm with Di2 holes, 120mm -6° stem, and loop upgrade for my seatpost are on order and should shave 52g over my current setup

• Carbonworks Darimo/wahoo mount should save 8g

• Carbonworks cages should save 12g

• Using an extralite ultrastar at 6g vs the cervelo aluminum fork sleeve and star nut will save 19g (Still torn on this one)

• Extralite streeters saved 10g over my old unbranded Ti skewers

• AICAN brake cables according to fairwheel will save me around 15g over the i-links, which seems crazy but I'll take it

• And then finally the big one. The wheel upgrade. I bought a set of AX lightness 28mm clinchers laced to extralite hubs. They weighed 1128g without rim strips, +4g for Rox Ultra lite rim strips takes me to 1132g vs the rovals which were 1266 with the same ultralite rim strips. So a whopping 134g saved.

All this together should have me at around 5203g ready to ride, including pedals, wahoo, bottle cages, etc. Running out of low-hanging fruit. Or fruit in general. But if any of you spot ways I can drop weight without making compromises to everyday rideability, I'm all ears.

Otherwise since my bike is quickly running out of upgrades to make, I'm also upping my footwear game, trading my fizik infinito R1s (~232g each) for a pair of Giro Prolight techlaces (~150g each). And will put my cleats together with titanium bolts off ebay to save a bit more.

I'll update this thread as parts come in and I start having real weights. Or as I'm able to photograph some of the parts that have already arrived.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Those are great plans for upgrades! Perhaps you can try Corima brake pads (8.7g for 4), powercordz swift (read reviews of creaking aican links), lighter spacers and a Schmolke ahead plug (5g) in place of the top cap and expander - I'm pretty sure it can afford adequate protection against the 3.5nm torque of the extralite stem. Looking forward to the upgrade pics!

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Thanks! Good looking out. I don't know how I missed brake pads, that should be an easy 10-12 grams.

Also, I've realized I never uploaded any photos of my trip last year. So, here are some of the highlights:

Day 1: Alpe d'Huez: I was having some severe back problems up the climb and just couldn't get my power down. I chalk it up to bad sleep at the hotel in Nice on the first night and maybe lack of sleep. Anyway, significantly missed my target and ended up taking 1:09 to the top.

Little view down into the valley:

Day 2: The Lauteret up to the summit of Galibier

View from the top, down the Lauteret side. Crazy.

Doing some climbing.

Day 3: Alpe d'Huez again, and then a lesser known climb in the area called Le Collet. Felt better and did Alpe d'Huez in 1:02. Not what I wanted, but I was happy with the effort. Still feel that I can do more and will go back at some point to try again.

View from the top of le Collet:

Obligatory bike shot:

Le Collet was actually one of my favorite climbs on the trip. It's difficult and the road surface is poor especially towards the end, but it's also deserted and has one of the most stunning views down the valley of any of the climbs I did.

Day 4: Telegraphe, and then Galibier from the other side,

And descending. Near the top I actually got passed in the other direction by Julian Alaphillippe obviously reconning it for the tour. He was absolutely drilling it on the descent. Here I am going not nearly as fast:

Day 5: Col de la Machine
: This was a relatively short ride on our way over towards the Mt Ventoux area. Gorgeous though.

Little video of the crazy tunnels on the climb.
https://i.imgur.com/xdLBHTo.mp4

Day 6: The Club des Cingles du Mont Ventoux ride: The challenge is to ride up the three ascents of Mt Ventoux in one ride. From Bedoin, from Malaucene, and from Sault. ~15,000ft of climbing in around 87 miles starting from Bedoin

Starting really early

All in all, was a great trip. And I have a great excuse to go back again now to shave those extra two minutes off my Alpe d'Huez time. The Cingles ride was an amazing experience. If anyone here is considering doing it, I'd highly recommend it. And also recommend not to go on a day that broke all the heat records for the area like my dad and I did.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Awesome pics! It's a dream to ride your dream machine up the fabled roads of the sport...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

liketoride

by liketoride

really great job with the pics on that trip. what a time you guys must have had. that is great that your dad was with you. wish my dad enjoyed riding

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Great Pics! Its been almost 20 years since I got to ride those roads. Gotta get there again.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Seems you and I have the same proportions. Looked hard for a while for the same frame and never found one, so gave up on it. Hit me up if you ever decide to sell it!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com