Kazyole's Cervelo RCA: 5.3kg (New pics on page 3)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mep

by Mep

Having two wheelsets of different depths makes sense, although you don't have to do it all at once. Selling your current set for a deeper one then building a new wheelset to replace it sounds like a lot to commit to. You can always try out tubulars first, then decide how to proceed once you figure out what you want your daily wheelset to be. I chose to stay with tubulars and run Bora Ultra 35s as my daily along with a 50mm set on my aero bike.

If you're looking for lightweight, tubulars are lightest. That's just how it's always been. The question is whether you can manage the additional set up time. If you're handy with your bike, you most probably can. If you value the drop in weight and increased ride quality that comes with tubulars, you would be more than happy with that trade-off.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Mep wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:13 pm
Having two wheelsets of different depths makes sense, although you don't have to do it all at once. Selling your current set for a deeper one then building a new wheelset to replace it sounds like a lot to commit to. You can always try out tubulars first, then decide how to proceed once you figure out what you want your daily wheelset to be. I chose to stay with tubulars and run Bora Ultra 35s as my daily along with a 50mm set on my aero bike.

If you're looking for lightweight, tubulars are lightest. That's just how it's always been. The question is whether you can manage the additional set up time. If you're handy with your bike, you most probably can. If you value the drop in weight and increased ride quality that comes with tubulars, you would be more than happy with that trade-off.
I think that's my plan at the moment. It'll probably take some time to build the new set anyway with extralite being shut down due to Covid. I'm going to continue to ride the AX clinchers for now. My plan is to take some time to research, and then build a set of really nice tubs. Ride them for a bit, and then decide what to do about my clinchers. If I don't fall in love with the tubs, I'll sell them and keep what I have. If I really like them, I'll get rid of my current set and either buy or build something in the 50mm range.

I have a lot of reading to to do anyway. It seems like the biggest decision I need to make in regards to my rim choice is going to be about rim width. The lightest option, those AX 25Ts, are only 20.5mm wide. The Schmolke TLO 30s are 25.4. The AX 38Ts are 26. The BTLOS rims are 26. I know about the trends with clinchers getting wider and mostly ride 25c tires, but am less familiar with tubs. And in my brief readings so far, it seems like the rim width counts for a bit less.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypuh

by Ypuh

SQUICCHI wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:44 pm
I increased the weight because I installed the Hambini Bottom bracket which is 125 gr, quite heavy but very stiff and not creaking at all.
Hey Squicchi,

I've got an Hambini one piece for BBRight as well, and trying to make a parts + weight overview on my bike. Since I don't have the BB removal tool, I can't really weigh my BB anymore.

The 125g you posted, is that for the Racing Edition and without the 2x 6806 bearings?
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Was it difficult setting up the THM brakes? Do they stay centered?

da123

by da123

Hey, fabulous build, love it.

Had a question on the Darimo stem - how does it compare to the Extralite stem you had in terms of stiffness? Any noticeable difference in that or in the ride quality?

Cheers, Dave

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Updating after a long time, and answering a couple questions I missed
mnmasotto wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:49 am
Was it difficult setting up the THM brakes? Do they stay centered?
I had my shop set them up so I can't speak to that, but they've stayed centered no problem.

da123 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:50 pm
Hey, fabulous build, love it.

Had a question on the Darimo stem - how does it compare to the Extralite stem you had in terms of stiffness? Any noticeable difference in that or in the ride quality?

Cheers, Dave
I would say stiffness wise to me they're comparable. But I'm very lightweight and don't typically run into stiffness issues with any of my parts so I may not be the best to ask. In terms of ride quality I definitely do notice a vibration dampening benefit, but the bars and stem were swapped at the same time and I'd think the barss have more to do with it.

Update:

New wheelset is in the works. After a long time debating back and forth I've decided to go tubeless and a deeper rim, so sadly my bike will be gaining weight the next update I have. I'm going with the same filament wound rims as the Winspace Hyper/Hunt 50 UD, but laced with Pillar Megalites to Extralite hubs. For a 50mm deep tubeless wheelset, all said and done it should come out to ~1250g for the pair which I'm more than happy with. Heavier than my AX wheels by about 120g, but at about twice the rim depth and with the rolling resistance benefit that tubeless offers. It kills me a little to go further away from 5kg rather than closer, but they'll be faster in basically every situation and I suppose that's the actual goal.

I had considered building them with berd spokes and saving a bit more weight, but it seemed kind of counterproductive to build a set of 50mm rims with round profiled spokes so I decided against it. There was also an option to go with a carbon spoked version of the wheel, but while the actual spokes are lighter, they apparently need a specific hub due to the shape/size of the spokes. And that hubset is heavier than hubs from extralite by greater than the spread of the carbon spokes vs a lightweight steel option.

Anyway, everything is ordered so should hopefully have some photo updates shortly.

cpac54

by cpac54

Given the lower clearance vs. modern bikes, I'm curious what size tires you're able to run on the RCA or if you find there's a limit to rim width you can use. Would you be able to run rims with internal widths >20mm? (say, something like a 25mm conti gp5000 and a rim like the new gen. roval alpinist clx 32 (internal 21)

Aesch

by Aesch

cpac54 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:04 am
Given the lower clearance vs. modern bikes, I'm curious what size tires you're able to run on the RCA or if you find there's a limit to rim width you can use. Would you be able to run rims with internal widths >20mm? (say, something like a 25mm conti gp5000 and a rim like the new gen. roval alpinist clx 32 (internal 21)
Interested too!

ken872997

by ken872997

Hello, I'm looking for the same frame, size 48 or 51, old version as well. Any suggestion where may I get it from......thank you,