Gurk's S-Works Tarmac SL6 Ultralight (5.69kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

northwestern

by northwestern

Have you had any issues with the powermeter?

gurk700

by gurk700

tabl10s wrote: Stock wheels for this frame are the 32's.
Oops. Correct.
siim wrote: Does Schmolke's Expander feel safer to you? https://www.schmolke-carbon.com/product/expander-tlo/
It seems to have more contact with the steerer than Ultrastar but is still much lighter than your stock plug. I'm using it (SL version though, not TLO) and so far so good.
They might be a little safer indeed. I really don't feel the need to shave more weight anymore but that purchase might be just a late night bored internet browsing away :lol:
bruno2000 wrote: What's the story behind the wheels.
They seem very light for a 60mm rim, even if it's tubular.
I randomly found Caden Wheels youtube channel while searching for something else. The guy seems very knowledgeable, I agree with a lot of his insights. I emailed back and forth a few times. He was super insightful, helpful and had great customer service. I bought this pair and was shocked that the advertised weight was spot on (unlike so many other brands) only a few grams more because of the balance weight opposite to the valve hole. The weight I posted is indeed from my kitchen scale, actual weight.
They ride as good as anything I've owned if not better than some. (Zipps, Enves, Reynolds, HEDs, Mavics)

His newer generation ones seem to add a few more grams. Maybe they're wider now? I was gonna email and ask him about it but forgot.

But yeah. I highly recommend them.
dgasmd wrote: Not a fan of Specialized, but will admit this one is hot for sure. And the weight impresses too!!
:beerchug:
northwestern wrote:Have you had any issues with the powermeter?
None so far! (Knock on wood)
Has been very reliable. No drops. Numbers I get have been very consistent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wfcarrot

by wfcarrot

Nice build!
Hows the wheels? I found they are offering the light wheels for a reasonable price.
2018 Sworks Tarmac SL6 - 7.2kg
2017 Colnago C60 - 6.29kg

gurk700

by gurk700

wfcarrot wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:11 pm
Nice build!
Hows the wheels? I found they are offering the light wheels for a reasonable price.
I raved about them a lot on this forum so I'll give you the cliff's notes.

Fast and stiff like any other good carbon aero wheel.
Sh!t braking in wet & decent in dry (I weigh 70kg and have no problem going down 15% hills. Technique and anticipation probably goes a long way before brake performance). So like any other carbon wheel (slightly worse than textured enve's and zipps. on par with any other brand)

But way cheaper brand new.
Way lighter too.

So I love them :)

wfcarrot

by wfcarrot

gurk700 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:46 pm
wfcarrot wrote:
Nice build!

Sh!t braking in wet & decent in dry (I weigh 70kg and have no problem going down 15% hills. Technique and anticipation probably goes a long way before brake performance). So like any other carbon wheel (slightly worse than textured enve's and zipps. on par with any other brand)

Way lighter too.

Thanks for the review. I will consider ordering disc wheels, so there would be no braking problem.

gurk700

by gurk700

wfcarrot wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:21 pm
gurk700 wrote:
wfcarrot wrote:
Nice build!

Way lighter too.

Thanks for the review. I will consider ordering disc wheels, so there would be no braking problem.
Perfect!

Btw I have to also recommend MCFK clincher discs from Fairwheel Bikes. They were gonna build me a set with Extralite hubs for $2k including shipping. I believe they build up to around 1280 grams Clincher.
I had to cancel cause I decided discs aren't for me. See if they'll give you the same deal!

I do love tubulars though so personally I'd go Caden but thought I'd mention another alternative light weight set!

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

How has your shifting been? I couldn't get those to shift worth a damn on my tarmac with Etap. Ended up giving up on them. I had my bike shop make adjustment after adjustment on that FD to work with the rings, I know how to shift and light pedal to get a smooth transition, but nothing worked well.

Bike looks great!

gurk700

by gurk700

Bianchi10 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:59 am
How has your shifting been? I couldn't get those to shift worth a damn on my tarmac with Etap. Ended up giving up on them. I had my bike shop make adjustment after adjustment on that FD to work with the rings, I know how to shift and light pedal to get a smooth transition, but nothing worked well.

Bike looks great!
Hey dude! Drooled over your bike's photos a few days while I had my stuff on order! :mrgreen:

Actually posted this earlier on this very thread!
gurk700 wrote: Yes I saw his thread on another forum and was surprised! I had another set of Extralites on my Cervelo R5 bolted on a Sram / Quarq Red crankset and then these exact rings on my BMC Roadmachine bolted on another Sram / Quarq Red with no issues. I’d say they work same if not a little better on this bike and this crankset :noidea:
I've used Extralites on 2 separate bikes now with success. I really don't know why it's not the same for everyone. I know manufacturing is never perfect and there's a few mm's there and few mm's here that's different between what's supposed to be exact products so maybe that's it? My shifts have been butter smooth on the front. If anything I have one tiny problem at the back where shifting from 11t to 12t while 100+ rpm is not as quick. Otherwise both rear and front have been with no issue. My heart sunk too after reading the problems you were having so I was totally ready to order a Praxis set.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

gurk700 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:11 am
Bianchi10 wrote:

Bike looks great!
Hey dude! Drooled over your bike's photos a few days while I had my stuff on order! :mrgreen:

gurk700 wrote: Yes I saw his thread on another forum and was surprised! I had another set of Extralites on my Cervelo R5 bolted on a Sram / Quarq Red crankset and then these exact rings on my BMC Roadmachine bolted on another Sram / Quarq Red with no issues. I’d say they work same if not a little better on this bike and this crankset :noidea:
I've used Extralites on 2 separate bikes now with success. I really don't know why it's not the same for everyone. I know manufacturing is never perfect and there's a few mm's there and few mm's here that's different between what's supposed to be exact products so maybe that's it? My shifts have been butter smooth on the front. If anything I have one tiny problem at the back where shifting from 11t to 12t while 100+ rpm is not as quick. Otherwise both rear and front have been with no issue. My heart sunk too after reading the problems you were having so I was totally ready to order a Praxis set.
Well that's a bummer for me, but awesome to hear you have had success with them. They look amazing on your bike. Well done on the build :beerchug:

gurk700

by gurk700

Bianchi10 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:53 pm
gurk700 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:11 am
Bianchi10 wrote:

Bike looks great!

Well that's a bummer for me, but awesome to hear you have had success with them. They look amazing on your bike. Well done on the build :beerchug:
Thanks man! I think Praxis rings look great too! I would've totally switched to those if I had the problems. Function always comes first! Hard to enjoy a crappy shifting bike no matter how good it looks.

wfcarrot

by wfcarrot

gurk700 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 pm
wfcarrot wrote:
gurk700 wrote:
wfcarrot wrote:
Nice build!

Way lighter too.

Perfect!

Btw I have to also recommend MCFK clincher discs from Fairwheel Bikes. They were gonna build me a set with Extralite hubs for $2k including shipping. I believe they build up to around 1280 grams Clincher.
I had to cancel cause I decided discs aren't for me. See if they'll give you the same deal!

I do love tubulars though so personally I'd go Caden but thought I'd mention another alternative light weight set!
Appreciate it for letting me know it. Mcfk with Extralite would be a great combo.
Did you buy hand-build wheels from Fairwheels before? Hows the building quality?

gurk700

by gurk700

wfcarrot wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:20 pm
gurk700 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 pm
wfcarrot wrote:
gurk700 wrote:

Way lighter too.

Perfect!

Appreciate it for letting me know it. Mcfk with Extralite would be a great combo.
Did you buy hand-build wheels from Fairwheels before? Hows the building quality?
I haven't before so I really can't comment on it but their customer service has been great so far and I've shopped with them A LOT. I doubt they'd let you walk away unhappy. They also post on this forum AFAIK.

gurk700

by gurk700

Added a photo with Rovals which just arrived. Love these wheels! Can't believe how much difference there is between 50mm and 60mm wheels in the wind.

Will probably get all black tires next. These and Vittoria 28mm ones have been sitting around so I wanna use them up before I buy new ones though.

I really gotta take good photos soon. So lazy :D

oldturd

by oldturd

After you get more seat time, can you let us know how both sets compare please? :)

I have a set of CLX32s and I find the braking decent at best (it was more evident once I hopped on a bike immediately after running Reynolds..) I wonder if it's similar to your feedback on the Caden wheels.

and it's probably been mentioned more than a few times now but your build is awesome! :beerchug: :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

oldturd wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:21 am
After you get more seat time, can you let us know how both sets compare please? :)

I have a set of CLX32s and I find the braking decent at best (it was more evident once I hopped on a bike immediately after running Reynolds..) I wonder if it's simlar to your feedback on the Caden wheels.

and it's probably been mentioned more than a few times now but your build is awesome! :beerchug: :beerchug:
Thank you! Loving the bike!

As for comparison, I find all carbon brake tracks to be CRAP with little difference between them Cadens and Rovals included. Enve's newer textured ones and Zipps are marginally better, not by much IMO.
In the rain, meh. They are all pretty bad. Had a chance to ride Rovals in downpour (first day I rode them) and as expected, they have a very hard time stopping.
In the dry, they are all fine. Not great, but fine.

If you don't want disc bikes like me and braking performance is VERY important to you and looking for a good looking all black wheel, I can't recommend HED Jet Black wheels enough. I love those things. They STOP. They stop really good. They roll amazing. They are super wide. They look badass IMO.

But my priorities are in weight, aero and looks :) They stop fine if you don't bomb down hills in the rain. In dry, they just work.