Gurk's S-Works Tarmac SL6 Ultralight (5.69kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gurk700

by gurk700

Have been putting a lot of miles on the bike already. I LOVE this thing.

Goals:

- Achieve sub 5.8kg without sacrificing from my personal taste in aesthetics, ride quality/preferences comfort and durability. I don't baby my stuff. I wanna be able to ride the crap out of my bike in every condition and train hard, not just go on cafe rides (I don't think I've ever done one of those anyway :lol: ) I also don't want a "B bike" or a "winter bike."
- Keep the price sensible. Used parts for the most part. Try to go for most bang for buck.
- Sell all remaining bikes and parts and don't look back :P

Last edited by gurk700 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 18 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Very nice :beerchug: !!
Love the tubulars choice.

Louis :)

gurk700

by gurk700

LouisN wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:39 am
Very nice :beerchug: !!
Love the tubulars choice.

Louis :)
Thank you! I honestly think besides the frameset, the wheelset is the star of the show :) They are so light and ride so well.

sychen

by sychen

Damn nice build..

You in aus? Guessing from the caden wheelset?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nozes

by Nozes

Very nice.

I've got a aluminum sleeve on my Cervélo fork, you can take that heavy compression plug and use a KCNC lightweight aluminum star nut, 9 grams.

Jbass

by Jbass

Very nice bike! How do you like the chainrings? I Kobe an other member had them replaced as they were not working properly.

gurk700

by gurk700

kgt wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 am
Great taste in everything!
:beerchug:
Nozes wrote: Very nice.

I've got a aluminum sleeve on my Cervélo fork, you can take that heavy compression plug and use a KCNC lightweight aluminum star nut, 9 grams.
Cervelo bonds the sleeves to the fork. on the Tarmac you can take the sleeve completely off as it’s not bonded. I don’t know if I wanna epoxy that sleeve to the fork to be honest (I would have to, If I was to install a star nut)
sychen wrote: Damn nice build..

You in aus? Guessing from the caden wheelset?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Oh no I’m in the US. Caden ships to the US for free!
Jbass wrote: Very nice bike! How do you like the chainrings? I Kobe an other member had them replaced as they were not working properly.
Yes I saw his thread on another forum and was surprised! I had another set of Extralites on my Cervelo R5 bolted on a Sram / Quarq Red crankset and then these exact rings on my BMC Roadmachine bolted on another Sram / Quarq Red with no issues. I’d say they work same if not a little better on this bike and this crankset :noidea:

RyanH

by RyanH

How's the braking on those wheels? What wheels have you used for reference?

Also, man, I need to step up my build sheet game. I'm slacking.

gurk700

by gurk700

RyanH wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:43 pm
How's the braking on those wheels? What wheels have you used for reference?

Also, man, I need to step up my build sheet game. I'm slacking.
To me the difference between Zipps and ENVE’s and other brakes aren’t that big. They are all ok in the dry and suck in the rain. I owned them all and while the textured tracks are better the difference is VERY marginal.

If you don’t mind the weight, HED Jet Blacks are the best braking and looking wheels on the planet IMO for rim brakes.

kode54

by kode54

Great build. I had no idea a 54 weighs that little. Looks nice!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

tabl10s

by tabl10s

gurk700 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:04 am
Have been putting a lot of miles on the bike already. I LOVE this thing.

Goals:

- Achieve ~5.8kg without sacrificing from my personal taste in aesthetics, ride quality/preferences comfort and durability. I don't baby my stuff. I wanna be able to ride the crap out of my bike in every condition and train hard, not just go on cafe rides (I don't think I've ever done one of those anyway :lol: ) I also don't want a "B bike" or a "winter bike."
- Keep the price sensible. Used parts for the most part. Try to go for most bang for buck.
- Sell all remaining bikes and parts and don't look back :P

What's next: I have Extralite Streeters (-26g) on order. Also J&L Titanium parts from China for the Speedplays (already have a Ti spindle) (-15g)

Note: The weight of the compression plug is ridiculous (42g) and I have an Extralite Ultrastar 3 that weighs 6 grams. However after installing I decided not to go with it for security reasons. Installing the Ultrastar requires taking off the aluminum sleeve off of the steering tube which leaves the bare carbon. With the crazy bumpy roads I take every day, I'm gonna go with safe than sorry and not clamp the stem onto the bare carbon. Almost 40 grams for a compression plug is crazy but that's one part of the bike I don't wanna f with, especially cause I already hit my goal weight.

Wheel alternative: Alternative wheels are the stock CLX 50 clinchers. Depending on the ride and day I might use them but I've had great luck with tubulars for the last couple years. I don't carry spare tire but have used vittoria pitstop and had success with patch+superglue trick in the past.

Stock wheels for this frame are the 32's.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

siim

by siim

gurk700 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:04 am
Note: The weight of the compression plug is ridiculous (42g) and I have an Extralite Ultrastar 3 that weighs 6 grams. However after installing I decided not to go with it for security reasons.
Does Schmolke's Expander feel safer to you? https://www.schmolke-carbon.com/product/expander-tlo/
It seems to have more contact with the steerer than Ultrastar but is still much lighter than your stock plug. I'm using it (SL version though, not TLO) and so far so good.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

What's the story behind the wheels.
They seem very light for a 60mm rim, even if it's tubular.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Not a fan of Specialized, but will admit this one is hot for sure. And the weight impresses too!!