by Luften

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:20 am
reedplayer wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 am
very nice bike!
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:36 pm
Easton SL90 stem, 120mm, -10 degree 138 g (Ex stem =Extralite Hyperstem, 110mm, +/-12 degree, 82 g)
may i ask: Why the change from Extralite to Easton?

regards,
Absolutely!
Extralite is not stiff. S/W might be good, but that works on paper. If you'd ride a light bar like THM or Haero, you would notice a huge difference when switching from Extralite to Easton. The Easton stem is much stiffer. If you would judge THM and Haero bars using Extralite stem, and then have another ride with something like Eastons stem, you would have another opinion. Simply put, to me, Extralite is a stem that has low weight, but the outcome when i ride is not positive.
Have you tried any of the other ultra-light stems like MCFK and THM, and how do they compare to the Easton or Extralite?

Also how do like the Haero bars? How do they compare to any of the other bars you've ridden?

Thanks!

by Weenie

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Luften wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:49 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:20 am
reedplayer wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 am
very nice bike!
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:36 pm
Easton SL90 stem, 120mm, -10 degree 138 g (Ex stem =Extralite Hyperstem, 110mm, +/-12 degree, 82 g)
may i ask: Why the change from Extralite to Easton?

regards,
Absolutely!
Extralite is not stiff. S/W might be good, but that works on paper. If you'd ride a light bar like THM or Haero, you would notice a huge difference when switching from Extralite to Easton. The Easton stem is much stiffer. If you would judge THM and Haero bars using Extralite stem, and then have another ride with something like Eastons stem, you would have another opinion. Simply put, to me, Extralite is a stem that has low weight, but the outcome when i ride is not positive.
Have you tried any of the other ultra-light stems like MCFK and THM, and how do they compare to the Easton or Extralite?

Also how do like the Haero bars? How do they compare to any of the other bars you've ridden?

Thanks!
I have an MCFK stem. I prefer it over Extralite. Don't have THM (too expensive aka not worth it).
I have a few 110-120 g alu stems here. Rotor S3X (110,120 and 130) and Duke (105 and 115).
The forged light weight stems are stiffer than the CNC versions.
I have about 20 stems at the moment.

What is it that you think of when you want a comparison?
Is it shape or stiffness?
Hearo feels good in stiffness. I'm also pretty heavy these days (+80 Kgs)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

Luften

by Luften

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:12 pm
I have an MCFK stem. I prefer it over Extralite. Don't have THM (too expensive aka not worth it).
I have a few 110-120 g alu stems here. Rotor S3X (110,120 and 130) and Duke (105 and 115).
The forged light weight stems are stiffer than the CNC versions.
I have about 20 stems at the moment.

What is it that you think of when you want a comparison?
Is it shape or stiffness?
Hearo feels good in stiffness. I'm also pretty heavy these days (+80 Kgs)
That's a lot of stems!

Stiffness. I'm on the heavier side as well, also 80+ kg, but in decent shape and looking for light but also stiff and reliable - something that can withstand max efforts and sprints. This is for a 2018 SS Evo HM build. The safe option would be a Deda Superleggera or Deda 35 setup, but the lighter weight options are tempting. It seems like THM (not available in my size) is stiffer than MCFK which is stiffer than Extralite and Darimo, but I can't find any comparisons between those and the Deda cockpits (or the S-Works SL -12 stem which is also in the running as a "safe and light-ish" option). Same on handlebars - it seems THM and Schmolke are regarded as stiff, but no reference point vs the Deda bars which are not too bad weight-wise at 180g.

I think at the cockpit I'm more concerned about stiffness and reliability in 1st place, and lightweight 2nd. I'm going to go more WW on the brakes (THM), seatpost (Darimo), etc. to keep the weight down.

Any comparisons would be great. Thanks.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I was using Extralite for a while and found it to be quite flexible, really quite unnerving at times
Then using a 120mm Wren stem for a while, weight 101g and it was more stable, heaps cheaper bought via eBay

https://wrensports.com/product/crazy-li ... inum-stem/
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Luften

by Luften

Squashednuts wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:45 am
I was using Extralite for a while and found it to be quite flexible, really quite unnerving at times
Then using a 120mm Wren stem for a while, weight 101g and it was more stable, heaps cheaper bought via eBay

https://wrensports.com/product/crazy-li ... inum-stem/
Thanks, good find. I wish they did -12. I'll keep it in the running. Cheers