Falling in love with my Focus Izalco Max

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cjnl

by cjnl

Less than half a year ago I could not be bothered looking at any non-aero bike. I even found them kind of ugly, old fashioned and low-tech. So my main rides were P3/Shiv/Aeroad (2011/2018). After my first Gran Fondo, I became interested in lighter bikes. And started to really appreciate the looks. :shock:

Having a CAAD10 for winter commuting, I started by searching for a SuperSix Hi-mod. After some issues buying and returning an obese Supersix frameset, the attention from quite some people on this site for Focus really made me curious. Early this year I managed to buy one, not new but one in a pretty decent state. When I returned home with it, the first thing I did was hang it on the scale: 7.8 kilos.
IMG_0169.jpg
I put on some other wheels for a test ride and was surprised how nice it rode even in that configuration.
IMG_0175.JPG
My experience with disappointing actual weights made me not particularly optimistic. But pretty soon after I took the bike apart, I could not suppress a big smile when I weighed the fork: 302 grams. The frame weight was good but not outstanding: 773 grams, including the derailleur hanger. I finally decided on going for the ultimate solution: having it sanded and have it painted with a matte clear coating. Even let the guys paint the logo back on in black. Best choice ever! The result was so much better than expected in both looks and weight loss. Frame weight dropped to 659 grams and the fork to 290. Not the best pictures, but to get some clues on how it turned out:
LND_F1F11983-F388-4E4D-96A6-BA241E345E60.JPG
IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0296.jpg
The build list is work in progress. The goal is to get under 5.5 kilos, but it should be race worthy. So I made some choices in favor of performance and reliability over the weight. For example the bottom bracket, I know from friction facts is excellent. And I really like the looks and possible aero advantages of the eeBrakes, but euro per gained gram is ridiculous.
buildlist.png
I am really interested in any remarks that could help in weight reduction for a fair price. (Or how to get a readable build list on this site :wink: )
Last edited by cjnl on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

Looking forward to this!

Sizzler

by Sizzler

Wow, you removed a lot of paint weight! My same size Izalco has minimal paint, just some highlight lines and weighs 744g with hanger and guides. How'd you get almost 100g less?!

hannawald

by hannawald

You have all the components very light except for seatpost clamp and seatpost. With Darimo you will finish your lightweight built.

cjnl

by cjnl

Sizzler wrote:How'd you get almost 100g less?!
I didn’t do it myself. The company doing the removal and painting expected this much weight reduction for red paint. Matte clear coat was also about 50 grams lighter than glossy coat, they said.

They do this for many, many customers also paintjobs for some pro teams like Sunweb.

I was surprised by the final 659 grams too. But I am confident it will not be unsafe and they did not remove any layers of carbon.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Wow, the frame looks superb.

cjnl

by cjnl

hannawald wrote:You have all the components very light except for seatpost clamp and seatpost. With Darimo you will finish your lightweight built.
I did look at Darimo, but I am not sure about the part clamping the saddle rails. The reduction is about 100 grams for 330 euro. So if it is strong enough, it could be an option.

KCookie

by KCookie

Frame looks awesome. Amazing weight lose.
You could lose some weight by using KCNC Ti cables, tyres by changing to Veloflex Extremes. Your claimed weight on glue and grease is unfortunately to low. Using Mastic Pro which is a very light glue was 10g per wheel.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

hannawald

by hannawald

Many people here use Darimo seatpost incl. me. Go for it:) you don't have many more options where to fine tune your built, almost perfect.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

cjnl wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 pm
hannawald wrote:You have all the components very light except for seatpost clamp and seatpost. With Darimo you will finish your lightweight built.
I did look at Darimo, but I am not sure about the part clamping the saddle rails. The reduction is about 100 grams for 330 euro. So if it is strong enough, it could be an option.

I have the Darimo post in my Izalco Max but with the carbon yokes. I would probably prefer the rope type clamp as it seems to free up the amount of adjustment available. I'm 72KG have had zero issues so far.
BB

Coffee & carbon

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Wow, looks amazing and incredible weight drop with the paint removal.

How did they remove the paint - what process did they use?

cjnl

by cjnl

KCookie wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:05 pm
Frame looks awesome. Amazing weight lose.
You could lose some weight by using KCNC Ti cables, tyres by changing to Veloflex Extremes. Your claimed weight on glue and grease is unfortunately to low. Using Mastic Pro which is a very light glue was 10g per wheel.
Thanks for the suggestions! TI cables are pretty expensive. Tyres could make a real difference. The Conti's I received with the wheels, so probably I am going to wear them down before getting new ones. I did some quick searching on the Veloflex Extremes and seem like a great option. I am also really interested in the Vittoria Corsa Speed for the weight and more importantly the crazy low rolling resistance. But people are saying it will puncture by looking at them.

Somewhere in the editing the list I must have made a mistake. My original estimate was 40g for the glue and grease. Will change it back!

cjnl

by cjnl

hannawald wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:17 pm
Many people here use Darimo seatpost incl. me. Go for it:) you don't have many more options where to fine tune your built, almost perfect.
beanbiken wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:52 am
I have the Darimo post in my Izalco Max but with the carbon yokes. I would probably prefer the rope type clamp as it seems to free up the amount of adjustment available. I'm 72KG have had zero issues so far.
Reconsidering :D

cjnl

by cjnl

Gearjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:21 am
Wow, looks amazing and incredible weight drop with the paint removal.

How did they remove the paint - what process did they use?
I asked if they would sand them by hand and the guy at the desk said they were. But somehow I got the feeling they are doing something else.
I brought the bike on a Monday and it was completely finished on Saturday. Pretty fast including all the manual labor.

cjnl

by cjnl

Funny stuff. Actually pretty sad how an excellent frame can be imo ruined with average parts.
The headset parts that were originally on the bike:
old.jpg
Compared to FSA bearings and a 'Slam that stem' cover, 3mm spacer, Extralite cap and expander (which weigh exactly as claimed : 9g :thumbup: ). :
bearings.jpg
new_slammed_and_spacer.jpg
For an almost invisible easy win of 101 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com