Cervelo S3 Disc - New DA R9200 Rebuild + Pics + Build List (Page 7+8) - New Alps/Seatpost Weight 6.62 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Very well done!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scottydonald

by scottydonald

I have been searching around all day today for a replacement handleabar for my 2021 Series S.

I originally was all set on the Enve Aero Bar then realised it wont fit.

I have been chatting to Rhino @ryanw on instagram regarding it and he has been tring to help me. I have been chatting to Enve. I have been chatting to Cervelo.

I currently have mechanical Ultegra and patiently waiting for the new DuraAce before i replace it. I wanted to change the hadlebar for a wide aero bar. Seems the key is the hole in the back centre of the bar. Enve told me the AR Road bar has the hole and recomended it but i am not a fan.

Has anyone else found any other options? the Prime bar mentioned before looks promising but is it any good?

I think i have found a new favourite - Vision Metron Aero Handlebar - expensive but really good reviews and a big central hole.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I would ask, apart from weight, what is the problem with the Cervelo bar?, it is aero/teardrop shaped and is super comfortable, the maximum weight you can save by swapping out is around 30g, probably not worth a minimum $200 outlay.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

stevec1975 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:53 am
I would ask, apart from weight, what is the problem with the Cervelo bar?, it is aero/teardrop shaped and is super comfortable, the maximum weight you can save by swapping out is around 30g, probably not worth a minimum $200 outlay.
I have ordered the Vision Aero Bar, suggested by Cervelo but they couldnt recomend it as they have not tested it in house.

I wont be able to install it until i get back to Scotland in 3 weeks or so; its my quarantine project!

It was something i didnt like about it since i got the bike, to me it was not full aero but a slight aero bar; the feel of it along with the cervelo tape.

I weigh 98kg and lean so i will not be loosing much weight so the 50g reduction of the new bar wont really make a huge difference. Going to order some Most Superlight Tape to give it a try; annoying there are no real reviews out there on it.

The only bike weight reduction i will get is when i can get the DA 12 speed, that should make a big difference.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

So.. I got 'car doored' recently, which resulted in some damage to the bars

Delamination from 2 impact marks

The wahoo mount and saddle also got broken

However, flip side, is I can try out the Prime Primavera Aero 38cm bars with this setup, should save around 35g, I am imagining that this may be a p.i.t.a to thread all the cables through however, wish me luck!

scottydonald

by scottydonald

Thats really annoying, i have gotten two huge stone chips in the last couple of weeks on my frame.

So i got my Vision Metron Aero handle bar installed in mine - the guy who intstalled it said it was sooo frustrating but got it done in under 2 hours. To me the ride has been so much better since i got it, much prefer the handlebar over the standard Cervelo one.

I just ordered the JL thru axles and now trying to get a lighter cradle.

Once Rhino can get me the New DuraAce in my spec next year then i will go that and some Cermaic Speed goodies for the bike.
Attachments
IMG_0522.jpeg

stevec1975

by stevec1975

The new bars look great scottyd

Finally got around to rebuilding my bike after the car-dooring

The internal cabling was an absolute nightmare to do with such limited space, a few swear words were said!

With Alligator iLinks and the new bars, new weight is 7.08kg

Just need to find somewhere to save 0.8kg

TourmaletteduFromage

by TourmaletteduFromage

How is the handlebar? Is the text on the top printed/a sticker?

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Handlebar is OK, different from the Cervelo one in the drops (it has an ovalised section running for approx 4 inches, which the hands fit into, it's different but I am getting used to it.

The decals are printed on there, the only way to get them off that I can see is to lightly sand them (they are fairly unobtrusive so will just leave them on)

stevec1975

by stevec1975

oh and in other news. I have Dura Ace 12 Speed to fit.

This will help resolve the spaghetti junction of cables routed through the stem and bars (and be much nicer too)

scottydonald

by scottydonald

very very jealous.

what setup did you go for your new stuff?

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

stevec1975 wrote:The new bars look great scottyd

Finally got around to rebuilding my bike after the car-dooring

The internal cabling was an absolute nightmare to do with such limited space, a few swear words were said!

With Alligator iLinks and the new bars, new weight is 7.08kg

Just need to find somewhere to save 0.8kg

Did you run the ilinks also inside the bars?

kppolich

by kppolich

Really nice build and photos.
By chance can you provide more details on the crankset sanding/polishing steps?
If you have any additional pics of that process as well that would be great.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

@Scottydonald:

Went for 52/36 - 11:30, selling the cranks and keeping the powermeter with 9100 rings, from what I have seen, they work just as well as the new rings, I think it will be pretty much bang on 7kg with the new bits.

@Pabloldv:

Yes, iLinks inside the bars, unless you have a lot of patience, I would not recommend it, was the hardest cabling job I have ever done, in part, it was the reason why I went Dura Ace 9200, so I could have just the brake hose only in the bars/stem.

@kppolich:

For the sanding, I don't think I have other photos, it literally took 15 mins. Process was: 1, Gaffer Tape the Quarq Spider and Rings. 2, Start with 400, then 600, 800 and a finish with 1000 grit sandpaper, with lots of water, The water should still be mainly white when you are using the final grades. I then use a small amount of T Cut (Car polishing liquid), I haven't touched the cranks since and they are still mirror finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Finally got round to putting the DA R9200 stuff on, plus a number of other tweaks and changes.

Super happy with the new weight, finally sub 7 Kg (6.92kg)

Build List: - Lighter blue shaded cells are the changes

Ideally I would like to get this bike UCI illegal (Sub 6.8Kg), so welcome some thoughts on where else to go, things that I have got or I have explored:

• Maxxis High Road SL (saves 118g over the Conti 5000), taking it down to 6.8 on the dot.
• Darimo S3 Seatpost, despite being on the coming soon list, recent convo with them has confirmed this is not coming anytime soon (potential 80g saving)
• THM Clavicula + Speedplay Powrlnk pedals, when available (potential saving 195g)