Trek Checkpoint build *Now 7.22kg* new wheels page 2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

Ti spindles have arrived for the Pave pedals. 44g saved.

Wheels were ordered from farsports this past Monday. Below is the build. Should be 1400g or so. I'll post pictures and weights once they arrive.

FSC35-CM-28TSL
700C full carbon tubelss(with Holes) rim 35mmx28mm, UD
Matte, 24H/24H, External nipple holes, NO brake surface

Novatec D411 D412 SP Disc hub, Straight pull, 6-bolt,
Shimano 11S, 12*100 front, 12*142 rear

Sapim CX-ray spokes, black
Sapim sils nipples, black

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Farsports wheels arrived today. Dropped a total of .68kg. 7.22kg as it sits fully built. I think this just about finishes up this build. I'm sure I could lose some more weight but all the parts I have on it are tried and true, durable, and comfortable. Weight is with 25c tires mounted. the 40c Bontrager GR1 tires add about a pound more. Farsports was great to deal with, Sandy was excellent to work with. Wheels came packaged very well with no damage what so ever. Shipping was also faster then I thought it would be. Wheel specs are in the above post. Weights came in at Front 607g- Rear 756g. Stans tape added 12g per wheel, Ti rotor bolts 16g. Just in the neighborhood shakedown, the bike feels so much more responsive. Wheels are stiff and came completely tru out of the box. Will be getting some real miles in on them tomorrow and for a few weeks up in North Carolina.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Cool build. I’m building a Giant Revolt Advanced 0 with the new XXX integrated bar too. Saddle will be the new Bontrager Aeolus Pro once it arrives in June. Should be complete by this weekend. My stock wheels are Giant carbon that come in at a chunky 1620 grams. I expect my bike to be in the 18-lbs range with 43mm SK Gravelking tires.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Nice to hear good reviews on the wheels. Let us know when you get some good gravel miles on them, as I'm definitely interested in getting a set to build up.

Also, I read your brief comment on the GR1 tires. What don't you like about them (especially your comments about the road feel).

TonyM

by TonyM

I am also interested in the Farsports wheels for my next gravel bike built with 700x38C tires ;-)

https://www.wheelsfar.com/gravel-carbon ... t-dsl.html

nickf

by nickf

FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:59 pm
Nice to hear good reviews on the wheels. Let us know when you get some good gravel miles on them, as I'm definitely interested in getting a set to build up.

Also, I read your brief comment on the GR1 tires. What don't you like about them (especially your comments about the road feel).
Thursday night group ride was successful. These wheels changed the bike. The weight and stiffness of these wheels improved acceleration dramatically. Last lap break was successful. Hope to get proper gravel miles in the next couple weeks. Hubs also performed well, good bang for the buck. We will see how they hold up long term.

The GR1 tires while great off road, but they are sluggish on road. Also, the claimed 50psi max pressure is way to low for multi-surface. I pumped them up to 65 psi to help with rolling resistance. This helped but still not a tire I would run especially if there are lots of road miles mixed in. Maybe just the thread pattern? Our dirt rides here in Florida always turn into a sufferfest and these are not the tires I would want to be dragging around at 25mph+ for a sustained period of time. I was previously running Bontrager 38c CX0 tires and they would fly on the road. Might order up a set of the 29x2.0, CX0s to see if they fit on the checkpoint.

Hex

by Hex

How are the TRPs holding up?

pinkertonpunk

by pinkertonpunk

To switch to 140mm rear rotors did you just need to bolt the caliper directly to the frame itself? I assume you needed shorter bolts for this. Do you remember what length you needed?