Trek Checkpoint build *Now 7.22kg* new wheels page 2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

Well after the last dirt/gravel ride I'm forced to go to disc, out of necessity only...... Need room for 42c+ tires. Was getting bogged down in sugar sand in a bad way on 38s, then having to claw my way back up to the group over and over after each section. So a Trek Checkpoint SL5 is on the way. Shimano 105 will be stripped off immediately. Crockett will be stripped of its SRAM red 10 speed mechanical. I'll strip the frame and post some weights. Hopefully between 16-17lbs, might be wishful thinking.

Frame- Trek Checkpoint SL5 54cm
Stem/bar- One Piece Bontrager XXX 40cm
Saddle - Williams SLC+
Wheelset - Bontrager boat anchors for now, But Farsports 30x28mm Tubeless in the near future
Chainset - KMC X10SL
Derailleur Cables- Sram
Brake Cables- Full run Jagwire Pro Compressionless
Rotors- 140mm Ashima Ai2 F&R
Seatpost- Carbon Bontrager Mast Cap
Front Mech - Red 10
Rear Mech - Red 10
Cassette- XG1090 11-26
Crank- Red GXP 50-34
Calipers - TRP Spyre mechanical
Shifters - Red 10
Pedals - Speedplay Pave
Bottom Bracket - Bontrager SRAM BB90
Bar tape - Double Wrap Bontrager Super Tacky
Tires- Bontrager 40c GR1 Tubeless for now
Last edited by nickf on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lars K. P.

by Lars K. P.

Looking forward following this build (with pictures) :-)
Lars K. P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Few things showed up today. Bike and other bits have shipped and should be in next week.

Ashima 140mm rotors

TRP Spyre-C Calipers. Factory takeoffs, got them cheap. Was going to pop for the SLC but only an 8g savings and +$100 more. Ti hardware will be used.

Centerlock adapters. Just temporary the new wheels will be 6 bolt.

prebsy

by prebsy

Should be a nice build. I went spyre C on my cayo disc build as well. It seems like you can get them as new take offs for peanuts and they are better looking than the non-oem version. What is the price and weight on the farsports?

nickf

by nickf

prebsy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:20 pm
Should be a nice build. I went spyre C on my cayo disc build as well. It seems like you can get them as new take offs for peanuts and they are better looking than the non-oem version. What is the price and weight on the farsports?
1360g +-40g is the claimed weight for the 30x28 wheels with no spoke holes drilled in rim bed. $689 shipped.

Caadnme

by Caadnme

11-26 is sufficient for gravel in your area? I need 11-32 around here. Particularly on soft ground. Interesting project to use wider tires on doft ground . On steep descents and difficult terrain, I also prefer 160 mm front rotor with a bit more friction area than a weight wennie rotor. I have used Spyre caliper with good success with SRAM levers. I like the way these stay perfectly centered in any conditions. Hydraulics often drag when pads are new and clearance is tight.

nickf

by nickf

I'm in Florida so it's flat, plenty of range for me. The rides around here always turn into a pretty high tempo suffer fest so I like to have a tighter cassette. Also something light and responsive. 140s should be fine, again no decents to worry about in Florida. I have had great success with the ashima 160 rotors on my mtb.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

What part of Florida? I would agree with respect to S. Florida, since I lived there for 30+ years (in Miami, the triathletes refer to one of the bridges as "Goliath", because of the 4% pitch). I've got a friend who leads a pretty high-paced gravel ride near WPB. He rides most days.

nickf

by nickf

I'm in central Florida. But a compact with a 26 is more then enough to climb anything I encounter even in the so called Florida "hills" in Clermont. Also travel to the Carolinas with this gearing, gets crap around 9+ percent. I do have a 12-32 i can throw on of the ride calls for it.

nickf

by nickf

Ok bike arrived. Frame weight is bare with no BB or cables.

Fork 463g no expander. Will be using ultrastar.

This is the current weight. The only thing that is missing is the bar tape and BB. This is with GR1 40c tires and tubes mounted on the stock wheels 2000g :!: . With new wheels, it will dump around 1.3lbs.

Incoming parts- Ti spindles for my speedplay pave pedals, bolt on thru axles for the wheels.

Rodigan

by Rodigan

Looking forward to seeing this built up :D I realise your using parts you've already got but are you tempted to upgrade to hydraulic brakes at some point?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I would recommend against using the ultrastar. The difference is only 19g, but the functional difference is night and day better for the stock expander!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nickf

by nickf

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:18 pm
I would recommend against using the ultrastar. The difference is only 19g, but the functional difference is night and day better for the stock expander!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been using the ultrastar on all my bikes for years. Used it on my Crockett for 3 years with no issues and plenty of gravel rides/races. Simple effective design.

I guess the stock one would provide some international structure when clamping the stem.
Rodigan wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:22 pm
Looking forward to seeing this built up :D I realise your using parts you've already got but are you tempted to upgrade to hydraulic brakes at some point?
Believe me I'm tempted! Budget will only allow so much. But it is in the plans to go hydro 11 speed. I am curious to see how well the trp calipers will work out in the world. On the bike stand the one positive thing I like is how I can adjust the lever pull with pad and cable adjustment. With hydraulic you are kinda stuck when it comes to lever pull.

nickf

by nickf

Shakedown ride complete. The position is spot on. With the tall bearing cap, it has a saddle to bar drop 1cm taller than my usual road setup. The only thing I had to do is shorten the rear brake cable at the downtube junction. Did I mention that the downtube cable entry is terrible? Would have been nice to just have the cable entry on the side of the downtube and not the center of the tube. Terrible. The Iso speed definitely is nice, really smooths things out. The wheels are still terrible. Wheels will be on order sooner than later. The Bontrager GR1 tires are great offroad, on road not so much. Need to burn them down a bit to speed them up. I'll update once the wheels show up.

nickf

by nickf

Skewers arrived. 83g savings, plus a cleaner look.

Bontrager bolt on thru axles W565811 Front, W565791 Rear

Stock QR

Bolt on

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com