2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod - Tribute to a former love

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

octave

by octave

after my beautiful blue hi-mod frame was broken by delta baggage handlers, i built up a 1st gen scott foil with the surviving parts and have been riding that, along with a BMC roadmachine 02 for the last couple years... but i always missed the hi-mod.

so, here is a new hi-mod project. build list below. items with an * are estimated, as i have yet had a chance to weigh those items. anything else is confirmed weights. pictures to follow.

check out the build list. am i forgetting anything?

a couple questions / observations:

is the hylix seatpost cradle safe for S-works carbon saddle rails? it gouged the carbon rails on my SQ Labs saddle...
are there lighter PF30 bottom brackets out there? that cannondale one is a pig...
are there saddles similar in shape to the S-works power arc? i love the power and power arc, but it is a place to save a few grams...
are there any cheap weight savings i am overlooking? i don't want to spend much more, but would be willing to go for a different saddle if the shape was right... otherwise, small things that might add up, make suggestions!

tires: i planned to use a set of lightly used 23mm Conti GP 4000s II, but i was surprised by how heavy they were. even with latex tubes, each tire/tube setup would be about 290 grams.... in that case, i was thinking i should just use Schwalbe Pro One tubeless with sealant...

best,

o

edit: i am bad at math. planned tire/tube setup would be 272~ and ~281
edit 2: add 31 grams for carbon ti x lock special skewers. total current weight is thus 5939.2
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 10.02.55 AM.png
Last edited by octave on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

octave

by octave

pictures to come...Image

Last edited by octave on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

290g? Wow, that's heavy! My new set of 25's w/ 55mm latex tubes on my Emonda build are lighter than that by about 20g (the rear is 7g heavier than the front).

octave

by octave

FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:12 pm
290g? Wow, that's heavy! My new set of 25's w/ 55mm latex tubes on my Emonda build are lighter than that by about 20g (the rear is 7g heavier than the front).
turns out my maths weren't so good.

one 23mm conti go 4000s came in at 213.3, the other at 221.3
plus 59 to each for a latex tube

so, for now, i think i will go with the 23mm contis with latex tubes, at least until they wear out. my schwalbe pro one tubeless came in at:

260 and 269.

then add sealant and it is kind of a wash. probably 15 grams lighter for the continentals. but, given the difficulty of mounting and unmounting the schwalbes from reynolds rims... i actually might never use the schwalbe with the reynolds rims (terrible experience getting schwalbes on a set of assault rims...)

edit: also, i forgot to add the extra weight of tubeless valves... so, the 23mm contis with latex are even further ahead in the weight savings game

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Love this frame colourway!

Watching with anticipation.
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Re: bb. Get a sram pf30. Cut out centre sleeve. 69g. That is what i am running on my evo.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

octave

by octave

NiFTY wrote:Re: bb. Get a sram pf30. Cut out centre sleeve. 69g. That is what i am running on my evo.
wonderful, thanks for the tip. that is 18g right there!

o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

octave

by octave

jagwire elite link brake kit just arrived. blue in memory of the dearly departed beautiful blue ssehm. shift set should arrive soon.

octave

by octave

quick update:

cut the fork, saved 21g, down to 270 from 291

decided to install an eeNut i had kicking around to replace the cannondale expander plug and top cap. saved about 6g (9.6 for eenut, compared to 15.7)

going with FSA pf30 bb instead of Cannondale. saved about 17g

also, installed an FSA SL upper bearing... needed about 4mm of headset shims to compensate for lower stack... saved about 6g overall

here is where i am... slowly but surely

stripped the SRAM red 22 off my other bike... just gotta clean everything up.

sorry for bad photos... the final ones will be better!

garjo

by garjo

strange, the common problem with FSA SL upper bearing installation on most of Supersix was it has too stack and goes out of the frame, may on Supersix 2016 and later is different..
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

octave

by octave

garjo wrote:strange, the common problem with FSA SL upper bearing installation on most of Supersix was it has too stack and goes out of the frame, may on Supersix 2016 and later is different..

yeah i had read that, too. but it doesn't seem to stick up any further than the original bearing. what seems to be going on is the inner race is lower than the oute race so the compression ring sits lower and the dust shield contacts the bearing and not the compression ring which causes it to bind. so a few millimeters of shims is necessary.

C36

by C36

octave wrote:

Std pf30 should not be that heavy. 78 for mine.

For the expander. Aren’t you afraid to remove the internal support the original SSe2 system has?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

octave

by octave

C36 wrote:
octave wrote:

Std pf30 should not be that heavy. 78 for mine.

For the expander. Aren’t you afraid to remove the internal support the original SSe2 system has?

yeah i weighed my cannondale pf30 bb with the dust covers and spacers, so that would add a bit of weight. but yeah i was surprised by the 87 grams as well.

as for the eenut... not too worried, but it is ib the back of my mind. cannondale's proprietary expander plug is already much smaller than traditional ones, so the eenut would just be reducing that to the minimum.

you got me curious, though, so i googled and found the below article. now i am less sure about the eenut!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cyclingtip ... eview/amp/

C36

by C36

The cannondale has 2 parts that to me fully support the stress coming from the upper and lower screw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

m66

by m66

I can help you save 100g....

Fix the rear wheel weight in your spreadsheet lol.....you have the reynolds attack rw listwd as 854.9g, but the pic shows 754.9g. I did the maths and you did add it as the higher weight.

I thought it was going to be offset by the fact that you're showing 15g for your estimated weight for the sram red rd, but in adding it up it it looks like you actually used 150g..