My TIME Alpe d' Huez

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

Yes, AdH is designed for 27mm tires. You see that there is enough clearance with my 25mm Continental. It is not 10mm but 7-8mm. So no surprises there. Considering the chainstays, the seatstays and the fork there is a min. of 6-7mm clearance as well everywhere.
I had no problem to remove the rear wheel in my Skylon and AdH is even easier. I had not problems with cable exits in my Skylon. AdH follows a better design (see first page). The saddle clamp does not have the issues that the clamp of the Skylon had. It is a different design. It is not the perfect clamp design but all ww clamps are designed similarly (the weight of the seatpost including all clamp hardware is 163gr).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Thanks, sounds good! Have you noticed any flex on rear of the bike? Couple test ride articles mention brake rub but they were also using those Enve wheels with Enve's carbon hubs.

Btw do you know any shop where I should ask for 110mm monolink stem for decent price? With googling I can only find couple ~400€ option but if you know something else...

Atm using M size Parlee with 110mm stem so probaply I would need 110mm for M size AdH aswell. Both frames have 383 reach.

kgt

by kgt

Those who mention brake rub they attribute it to the wheelset. Enve are far from the stiffest wheelsets.
I have no brake rub with my LW ventoux wheelset. In general it is a very stiff frame.

Merlin used to have TIME stems at great prices. They still have some Time handlebars at half price:
https://www.merlincycles.com/time-ergod ... 28548.html

Look for "time potence" at French webstores.
You could also contact the Greek dealer at: kifibike@otenet.gr
Maybe he has one 110mm on sale

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Kumppa wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:27 pm
Thanks, sounds good! Have you noticed any flex on rear of the bike? Couple test ride articles mention brake rub but they were also using those Enve wheels with Enve's carbon hubs.

Btw do you know any shop where I should ask for 110mm monolink stem for decent price? With googling I can only find couple ~400€ option but if you know something else...

Atm using M size Parlee with 110mm stem so probaply I would need 110mm for M size AdH aswell. Both frames have 383 reach.
dude... srsly? Brake rub is a function of the wheel, not the frame. If a frame was that flexible it would be like riding a pogo stick. Enves are just not well balanced wheels (rims too stiff for the spoke/hubs) so they flex when you get out of the saddle.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Srly? Can you read? I already mentioned it's propably becouse of those Enves. Old Time frames used to be noodles and I have read even carbon dropout can cause flex. Iam not guy who is changing bike once a year so want to be sure. Nothing wrong to ask if kgt have notice any flex with his LWs as couple short reviews is talking about it.

kgt

by kgt

The design of the Alpe d'Huez is based on the experience of the Scylon. I don't remember if it was Tour magazine or roadbike.de but they had measure the stiffness of Scylon's rear triangle extremely high. It was like almost double the stiffness of an s-works! That made for an unforgiving ride of course.
AdH is very stiff but at the rear it is more elastic on the z axis. The skinnier seatpost helps also. Otherwise lateraly and torsionally there is no flex at the rear triangle. Again, Enve wheels have many issues, not just their balance. See what Raould Luescher posted lately...

Anyway, it was a joy today!

JKolmo

by JKolmo

No brakerub whatsoever when running Bora 35s, 50s, Hyperons or Shamals with my AdH. This bike is amazing - razor sharp downhill cornering, that’s what stands out IMO.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

kgt wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 am
The design of the Alpe d'Huez is based on the experience of the Scylon. I don't remember if it was Tour magazine or roadbike.de but they had measure the stiffness of Scylon's rear triangle extremely high. It was like almost double the stiffness of an s-works! That made for an unforgiving ride of course.
AdH is very stiff but at the rear it is more elastic on the z axis. The skinnier seatpost helps also. Otherwise lateraly and torsionally there is no flex at the rear triangle. Again, Enve wheels have many issues, not just their balance. See what Raould Luescher posted lately...

Anyway, it was a joy today!

This build is awesome. I love the carbon weave rather than just painted unidirectional we see on 99% of frames. Completely agree with using a true made in France frame as well, it is worth the premium. I believe Time also makes their own pre-preg unlike many Italian frame builders. Just curious, why did you not go super record all over to match?

Only disagreement is Enve wheels are incredible. I ride them all the time but Chris King made them for me after purchasing the rims from Enve. Who builds them for you, what spokes, and what hub you use makes all the difference. You should try some Corima's in the future for more made in France. The WS 47mm+ set I have are awesome and the carbon hubs are gorgeous.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

kgt

by kgt

Thanks rollinslow.
I agree that when you think that everything in this frame is made in house in France (Slovakia for the metal parts) the price seems low. BTW Time is maybe the single manufacturer that does not use prepeg carbon but RTM. They weave the 'socks' with carbon, vectran, basalt etc. strands and then inject the resin to form the tubes. They can control even the smallest detail. Stems and handlebars are RTM too.
The parts for the groupset is what I could afford each time. Most of them are used. Wheels were used too. I had Corima in the past and I agree, they were great.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Thanks for that info about Time. I knew there was something unique about their manufacturing process. Those Lightweight's match perfect with the frame as well. Congrats on the build!
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

dgasmd

by dgasmd

This may just be next bike for sure, but while I really like the black (French) color I may just order the gray Hero color.

What size is the bottom bracket? Does the frame set come with the stem and seat post besides the fork and headset?

kgt

by kgt

Yes, hero looks great too but keep in mind that the beautiful carbon weave is totally covered by paint.
TIME Alpe d'Huez (and Scylon) has a BB386 bottom bracket and it comes with fork, seatpost, headset and stem cap. Stem is not included and it is rather expensive.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Any ideas of the angle availability on the stem. Read in several places and even the Time site doesn’t say it at all. The only benefit I see to the Time stem is the shape as it is very nicely complementing the rest of the frame and the top area above the headset

kgt

by kgt

It's a 80-degree angle one. I agree that a Time frameset just needs a Time stem. It is very stiff for its weight and it just looks awesome. In the case of the AdH you can slam it and it integrates beautifuly with the headset cap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

kgt wrote:It's a 80-degree angle one. I agree that a Time frameset just needs a Time stem. It is very stiff for its weight and it just looks awesome. In the case of the AdH you can slam it and it integrates beautifuly with the headset cap.
Is it reversible? Doesn’t seem that way. I’d need to slam it anyway.

I was trying to compare fit and geometry to my current size Colnago c60. Seems everything would be within 1 mm if I had a 120 stem with a -6 (or -7) degree angle. Don’t see that happening with the Time stem.