My TIME Alpe d' Huez

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

That is one awesome looking bike kgt! I really like the naked carbon as that is what my 12 RXRS is and the way the bottom bracket carbon is weaved as well. I still have my 08 VXR and will likely keep it as a back up bike/foul weather and plus I can get a 27mm tire in the stays. I am having a hard time deciding if I should sell my RXRS, for the moment it is my indoor roller bike. I likely would have purchased another if it had not been for the zero offset post but now that I am running SMP saddle I could have easily made it work. No regrets buying the V2R as it is a beauty as well just no naked carbon. The Time is normally well engineered and I love the bolted braze on hanger for fd.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I'm happy to see you did not go for a Colnago!
I just don't see these other than old school builds.

Do you know why UD is on the radar so much these days?
It's simple, there is a higher request for UD finish.
Personally i also like the look of cross weave. But mostly, i like to see framesets unpainted!
Some framesets uses both UD and cross weave externally.

Anyway, nice bike KGT ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I guess that for some UD looks more 'modern'. The truth is that it is uglier, cheaper and more prone to delamination in comparison to a nice carbon 1k or 3k weave.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

I have to agree with you

Except that for some components ( not talking about frame fork ) more like rims seatpost, the 1K or 3K aspect will just be a finish 1k 3K wave under it's still ud .

zappafile123

by zappafile123

KGT!!! So jealous! I love it! The final toss-up for my latest rig was between the Time and a Tarmac SL6. Whilst I'm really happy with the Tarmac, I'd have liked to nab the Time, but at the time it was too difficult and too expensive to get hold of (dec last year). That being said, its probably just a matter of Time for me - there's a Skylon on ebay for 2400aud.... but then I just got an Enigma Elite HSS very very cheaply and decidedly dont need another bike.

When you can, please provide a ride report vs. the skylon vs. everything!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

kgt

by kgt

Thanks zappafile!
Time is still a boutique brand for connoisseurs so you rarely see one at ebay. BTW in Greece a Scylon or AdH frameset is not that expensive. An S-works is more expensive.
I will post a ride report soon!

njyeti

by njyeti

I'm eagerly anticipating your review as I'm considering an adh frameset for the spring (coming from Evo hi mod).

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

So, time for my first ride impressions:

There is a kind of tecnological know-how that is subtle and sophisticated. It is not related to the latest trends, to avantgarde forms and shapes, to hidden cables, to claims about watts saved and seconds gained. It is not loud or aggressive.
This know-how is related to heritage and experience, to engineers and companies that have the ride quality of their frame as their main priority as they make products for a limited market of connoiseurs.
IME the new Time Alpe d'Huez is one of the best examples of this kind of frames.

The balance between stiffness, low weight, comfort and ride quality is almost perfect. At the same time the quality of its RTM construction, the exact tolerances, the use of vectran etc. make for a frame that feels very robust and very well made. You will not see a TIME frame delaminate or developing a crack due to fatigue. Something that is very common on many big brands is very rare in the case of TIME.
Of course the AdH is neither the lightest (approx. 900gr at size 56) nor the stiffest (my Skylon and my Cipollini Bond were just a bit stiffer) frame. But it is stiff enough, light enough, very comfortable and feels extremely responsive from the first few meters. It feels like a block from the fork dropouts to the seatpost clamp. Everything feels strong and solid giving you confidence at any speed and over any tarmac, no matter how good or bad it is.

Comparing it to the Skylon is easy since every single component was just moved to the new frame. The first thing that I noticed was that the AdH feels much more 'alive' and much more comfortable than both the Skylon and the Bond I used to ride. I remember my Wilier Cento, back in 2008, had a similar feel but its stiffness at the bb and the fork was really low. Its tubes were very thin too. You could easlily deform the top or down tube by pressing it with your thumb.

I said that the AdH feels much more 'alive' than the Skylon and the Bond. That is something I like a lot. I don't think that everyone will enjoy it as much though. What I mean is that a sprinter, someone big or heavy would prefer something else. Someone who rides on flats with 35-40km average speed will certainly prefer the Skylon. The Skylon is a frame that needs a considerable amount of watts in order to 'wake up' but when it does it feels awesome (the Bond was somehow similar, although less refined in terms of ride quality). OTOH for an all around rider, a long distance course, a difficult climb or mix terrain, the AdH is a considerably better frame.

Some believe that it is very expensive. In Greece it is not more expensive than a Tarmac s-works or a Pinarello F10. Considering that it is 100% made in France I think its price is very competitive. Again, it is a frame for the connoiseur, for the one who can discern what high quality means and is not getting crazy with every new trend that pops up every year or so.

So far, the AdH is the best frame I have ridden. Ride quality and construction quality is what mattters to me and this frame has both in spades. This is a frame that gives you a big smile, a frame to enjoy in every ride and for many years.
I only hope that TIME will continue to produce their amazing carbon weaves, frames, components and pedals the same way they do. Even the fact that they, in 2019, still insist in handmade in France is IMO something to respect, if not to admire.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It would be quite interesting to do as you, move over parts. I'd like to compare a Alpe d Huez to my EVO Race.
Probably could live with both. I also have a place in my heart for European made frames and components.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

kgt

by kgt

Thanks, I am sure that your EVO will be a great ride as well.

The main difference is manufacturing quality of course. You compare an expensive, handmade in France frame to a much cheaper, mass made in China/Taiwan frame. In this case made in Europe shows. According to Hambini TIME is among the best and Cannondale among the worst in terms of manufacturing quality (BB box tolerance, headset tolerances etc.). According to Raoul Luescher a TIME fork he recently cut was a rare example of perfect construction and he attributes this to RT Molding.

In general the main reason to buy a TIME is it's unique, made in France, RTM manufacturing. Otherwise, in terms of performance, there are many equally excellent frames in the market.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Well, I don't expect Hambini to have laid hands on every single bike.
I'm sure there are lots of nice framesets. Sarto and the new Except brand for instance
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

kgt

by kgt

Hambini checked a few frames from each brand, so there is a certain validity to his claims.
In general outsourcing at the Far East equals worst manufacturing and qc than making things in house where the manufacturer controls everything, that's the moral of the story.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Thanks very much for your inputs KGT. It does sound like a substantially different ride quality between the two frames. I know that feeling of some frames that feel a bit dull to ride slowly, but once you put the hammer down they wake up - the De Rosa Protos is a perfect example of that. Regarding price, there's a pretty big difference in the price of the Tarmac and an F10 - the former being 5k and the latter 8.5.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

kgt

by kgt

Yes, if I would like to pinpoint the two things that are different between the Scylon and the Alpe d'Huez those would be a. comfort (AdH is more comfortable) and b. responsiveness (AdH is extremely responsive from the start while the Scylon gets responsive over a certain power/speed). IME AdH is a better all around frame while Scylon is better for sprinter kind of riders. AdH frameset is 200gr lighter of course but I am not sure you can 'feel' it.

Considering the prices, it is interesting that those depend on the country, the dealers and the policy of the companies. In general Greek dealers can offer european frames at very good prices. You can find a top Colnago or De Rosa or Time or Basso or Pinarello for the same price of an S-works or a Madone. Frames from Cannondale, Fuji are much cheaper for some reason.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Might be looking new frame to replace and this is on my list. Fan of these 100% European frames and price is decent when asking offer.

You mentioned it could easily accept 27-28mm tubulars. From this picture clearange to seatpost looks like 1cm (?), but how about clearance to chainstays? Which one is limiting to run wider tires, chainstays or BB? How about fork clearance? Iam running 22,4mm wide clincher rims so no problem with 25mm tires but would be nice option to run even wider tires.

I would prefer normal fork for look and weight but I got decent offer for frame with AKTIV. It is bulky but maybe I could live with that extra 160g.

Have you noticed any problem to remove rear wheel, cable exists or with saddle clamp? I think Calnago had very good points from Scylon on other topic and I would not like to have even those small problems when buying this kind of frame. From what I have read and saw from pics I think there is some improvement on these AdH frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com