Cannondale Synapse Fender Bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My fendered up Trek Boone was starting to get on my nerves with its not-quite-to-spec bottom bracket shell, so I had half an eye out for a new fender bike. The use would be 100% road and it would never be ridden without fenders.

In the Pacific Northwest you had better love your fender bike. Fenders are an almost constant requirement from November to the end of February. Add in other days with wet roads, after rain, fog, condensation, and it ends up being a lot of time on a fender bike.

My key requirements were simple – room for 28mm tires and fenders, good fender mounting system, and gloss finish. Of course, it had to be disc. I considered a range of gravel bikes but, I have a gravel bike that I like (and only use 6 – 10 times per year) so a road bike made more sense assuming enough room for decent tires under fenders. I also didn’t want a bike with any mechanical suspension tricks so Specialized and Trek were not candidates.

I found a good deal on a Cannondale Synapse (not Hi Mod) and hearing that the latest model had good tire clearance and fender mounts, I pulled the trigger. The build is straightforward – mostly Sram Red (Force Wifli RD), with Juin Tech hybrid calipers. I built it during the recent snow storm, but over the last 3 days have been able to get 3 decent 100km+ rides to get a good sense of it.

The standout thing is the space for tires which merited sharing with WW's. My 30 mm G-One Speeds measure 32mm on the Industry Nine wheels when pumped up to 80 psi and clear the fenders nicely. At 65 psi, the pressure I actually ride, they measure about 31.3 – 31.6mm. The closest spot is the front fork, but I have ridden through all sorts of pine needs, sticks, leaves, etc. and there was zero debris catching inside the fender.

The bike itself is excellent. Comfortable as promised. Cracked road surfaces pass almost unnoticed. It is the smoothest ride I have ever experienced. Out of the saddle climbing stiffness is more then adequate. Handling is a perfect balance between maneuverability and stability. A really good descender. Geometry is reasonable for an endurance bike. I feel nicely perched on top of the bike instead of wallowing inside it like with some endurance frames with super low bottom brackets and tall headtubes. Still, it is an endurance bike and I'd probably be happier with it slammed but until I decide that it's a keeper, I don't want to cut any more steerer off. Overall just a great all-purpose frameset.

Sorry no glamour photos, just a few to show the fender clearance. In the photos the tires are at 80 psi and measuring a fat 32mm. Fenders are SKS Longboard 35. They have been warmed with a heat gun and the radius opened up a bit.

Gloss finish for easy clean up. A nice feature in a winter bike.

Lots of space under the rear fender.

Tightest spot under the fork but still good room.

Nice fender mount system with a little plastic piece that keeps the fender support off the carbon to protect the finish.

Underneath the bottom bracket complete with remnants of splatter from today's ride. That is an amazing amount of room for a 32mm tire and fender on a road bike.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TonyMM

by TonyMM

Nicely done!

As I moved from Switzerland to the Pacific Northwest, I also had to invest in a specific rain/ winter bike (living 40 km East of Vancouver I don’t get as much rain as in Vancouver or on the islands but it is still more than enough for biking...LOL). I ended up building a BMC RoadMachine02 with SKS fenders (also mounted on hidden fender mounts), full Dura Ace Di2 9170 with disc brakes, ProVibe stem and aero carbon handlebar, DT Swiss ERC 1100 Dicut 47, Vittoria Open Pavé 25mm, etc....I really enjoy having a dedicated disc brake rain/ winter bike which has a race geometry. Not cheap but you only live once..LOL...

BTW, the colour was chosen from my wife because she wanted me to have a bike which is seen when it is raining etc...

I have now added the Dura Ace powermeter and a longer mudflap on the rear fender.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@TonyMM, I always admired your Road Machine. It's a nice build. I like the look, the geometry, and the brand. It was an option for me but ultimately the greater tire clearance swayed me to the Synapse. Is there a fender attachment point at the seat stays? I don't see one. Also, if you ride alone, you really don't need an rear fender extension although it's always a classy touch just in case you meet up with some friends. But whether you ride alone or in a group, a front fender extension with a little bit of extra width does wonders for your lower legs and feet when the roads are wet. I recommend it.

Also, you're 40 km east of Vancouver, so Abbotsford area? I hate to break it to you, but if you are in the Abbotsford area, you get a lot more rain then the Victoria area - more than double (1500mm vs 700mm https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/ ... verage.php ). Rain is not the issue. It's constant wet roads in the 3 or 4 coldest months, mostly due to morning condensation. If you ever make it here with your bike look me up - I'll take you for a spin - great place to ride. I guess people equate the Victoria area with the rainforests on the east side of the Island - one of the wettest places on earth. We're pretty dry here.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi Mr. Gib!

Yes there is a fender attachment point between the seat stays. It looks like a metal bridge that has to be installed there if you have fenders.
Actually many are buying the BMC RoadMachine02 just as a cheaper alternative than the RoadMoachine01 and don't use it as a rain bike with fenders permanently mounted on it.

And you are right I used to have the rear fender extension for the group rides but meanwhile I just leave it there all the time.
For the front I don't use any extension anymore as I really don't like the look of it and as my feet don't really get wet anyways (my BMC is a size 51 and I have discovered the Velotoze as I came to Canada and always use them whenever it's raining).

I live in Maple Ridge and I usually bike in the region between Langley, Faser valley, Mission, Abbotsford, Chilliwack and Hope.

But the average rain per year is not the figure that I personnaly care so much. For me and for cyclists I suppose the best would be to know the average number of days with rain or drizzle between sunrise and sunset or even better the average number of days that you have to use the rain bike....LOL...So far not a statistic that I could find so far....At the end I figured out that I am in the Pacific Northwest and that I have to live with the weather...That's the story with the glass half full or half empty....

Thanks for the offer of a ride where you live! :thumbup: And if you come to the Faser Valley here, come and ride with me! :welcome: