Ridley Helium SLX "Pure Line"

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

reedplayer

by reedplayer

great looking bike, imo nicest for some time!

saddle is a sensitive part, but ultrastar expander and sram cassette are mandatory for a bike like this! :smartass: :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

Look565w wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 pm
neeb wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:35 pm
I’m probably biased against the background because where I come from, slightly grotty Victorian sandstone walls are what 70% of the urban architecture is made of... But I suppose that’s not the case everywhere... 😀
Do you live near my neck of the woods? :thumbup:

P.S I really like the clean & simplicity of your whole set-up!

Cheers
Very near in global terms, I'm in Edinburgh.. :beerchug: I got the frame through Ronde in Hamilton Place - sadly now defunct....

I've got a soft spot for these pared-down climbing frames, hi-tech classics in the true spirit of the traditional lighweight bicycle. This frame, the Cervelo R5, the Argon 18 Gallium Pro, Cannondale Supersix etc...

neeb

by neeb

Kayrehn wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:12 pm
How about using powercordz for lighter cables? I used to use a Toupe 143 as well and took to the Berk Lukna instantly even though it is supposed to be narrower. I am pretty sure a Lupina will work well with you too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I suppose the Berks would have a fairly decent resale value if I got one and didn't get on with it.. Worth thinking about!

Definitely going for the SRAM cassette though. If that gets me under 6kg I might just be happy and not feel the need to go further.. or am I in danger of hersesy there..?

neeb

by neeb

Imaking20 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:46 am
Shimano alloy freehub will save you ~50g for about $50
SRAM Red Cassette will save you 65g for $100-175 (used)
I'm confused about the freehub options. Is the Shimano alloy hub a Campagnolo product for Campagnolo hubs (I'd always thought that the Shimano option was heavier but maybe that's the steel one?), or a 3rd party product?

neeb

by neeb

reedplayer wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 pm
great looking bike, imo nicest for some time!

saddle is a sensitive part, but ultrastar expander and sram cassette are mandatory for a bike like this! :smartass: :wink:
Thanks!

Expander is sensitive for me too.. I once damaged a steerer by overtightening a stem bolt (blindly obeying the torque wrench when the expander was only supporting half of the steerer).

Look565w

by Look565w

neeb wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 pm
Look565w wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 pm
neeb wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:35 pm
I’m probably biased against the background because where I come from, slightly grotty Victorian sandstone walls are what 70% of the urban architecture is made of... But I suppose that’s not the case everywhere... 😀
Do you live near my neck of the woods? :thumbup:

P.S I really like the clean & simplicity of your whole set-up!

Cheers
Very near in global terms, I'm in Edinburgh.. :beerchug: I got the frame through Ronde in Hamilton Place - sadly now defunct....

I've got a soft spot for these pared-down climbing frames, hi-tech classics in the true spirit of the traditional lighweight bicycle. This frame, the Cervelo R5, the Argon 18 Gallium Pro, Cannondale Supersix etc...
Really, Ronde closed down :cry:
That’s a real shame, I’ve been over in there a few times & enjoyed the visits.

I helped a friend get a top end titanium Enigma off Neil last year. He loves it!

Enjoy the ride & anytime you’re over in Glasgow to ride, geez a bell & we can share some tarmac :thumbup:

Cheers

Imaking20

by Imaking20

neeb wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 pm
Imaking20 wrote:
I'm confused about the freehub options. Is the Shimano alloy hub a Campagnolo product for Campagnolo hubs (I'd always thought that the Shimano option was heavier but maybe that's the steel one?), or a 3rd party product?
Made by Campagnolo. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a campy splined alloy FH body.

They can be found cheaper but here's the first thing Google returned
https://www.totalcycling.com/Mobile/en/ ... 22719.aspx

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

bruh isaac the stock campy freehub has been alloy for like 15 years now

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Mine wasn't :(

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I'm no Campy expert, but I thought the top end Campy splined hubs were alloy but the Shimano splined freehubs (made by Campy for Campy and Fulcrum wheels) are steel.

Hence the need to buy an after market freehub if you run Shimano or Sram cassettes.

hannawald

by hannawald

Very nice bike.
+1 for Berk saddle, buy one with oval rails, round rail seemed to be fragile, while ovals are completely fine, light and comfortable.
Try Powercordz cables, they are not only lighter, but great performance as well!
Don't add Wahoo weight:) you should include only things that are not detechable from the bike as it is with 6.8 kgs UCI limit. Otherwise you may have included bottles as well. So actually you are under 6 kgs, congrats!

Guevarca

by Guevarca

Lovely build and great to another Helium SLX, one of the smoothest bikes I have ridden as well as being a great weight

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Guevarca wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:28 am
Lovely build and great to another Helium SLX, one of the smoothest bikes I have ridden as well as being a great weight
Also one of the best looking bikes at the moment.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Gearjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:00 am
I'm no Campy expert, but I thought the top end Campy splined hubs were alloy but the Shimano splined freehubs (made by Campy for Campy and Fulcrum wheels) are steel.

Hence the need to buy an after market freehub if you run Shimano or Sram cassettes.
For 2 years now the top-end wheels have a white colors alloy shimano type body available.
And yes it's the same like used on the high-end fulcrum wheels.
But it is true that before the Shimano type body for Campag wheels was made of steel.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Imaking20 wrote:
Extralite ultrastar will save you 20g for about $30

Also not able to see the pictures :(
Is the hsimano type freehub lighter than the Campagnolo type?
Is a Sram Red cassette lighter than a Super Record? 'edit' you are probably right. A Super -Recor dis listed at 188gr on the Ca website

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com