Ridley Helium SLX "Pure Line"

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

neeb

by neeb

Here's my lovely green Ridley. Total weight as pictured with cages, computer, PM etc. appears to be about 6.06 kg.

One percent over the magic sub-6kg! :x And that's with a smattering of some fairly weenie stuff on it such as the Darimo post, EE brakes and Carbonworks cages. Getting under 6kg with a powermeter, nice tyres and Campagnolo isn't so easy, I'm discovering!

Any tips for losing 60g+ without disproportionate expense? Not prepared to compromise on functionality, e.g. tyres, brake pads, saddle etc. Also not wanting to spend 100s swapping the already fairly light stem and bars for ones that are just a little lighter..

I could just cheat and take the computer off I suppose!

Sorry about the uninspiring background, I'll try to take it somewhere nicer soon.. :D

https://flic.kr/p/24cut1r

Not absolutely everything has been weighed individually. Cables etc. are guestimates (as are the ergos) and I can't be bothered right now to take the pedals off! Most stuff has been weighed however.

Frame: Ridley Helium SLX Pure Line (bare except for RD hanger) - 777
Fork: (uncut 305), cut - 278
Headset: (as supplied) with Risk top cap and bolt - 77
Other frame fittings: (as supplied) - 23
Spacers: generic carbon - 9
Bung: Colnago 50mm - 30
Bars: 3t Ernova LTD 40cm (38cm between hoods) - 175
Stem: Ritchey c260, 110mm - 110
Seat Clamp: (as supplied) -15
Seatpost: Darimo T1 - 77
Saddle: Specialized S-Works Romin Evo 143mm - 128
Wheel, front: Campagnolo Bora One 35 tubular - 526
Wheel, rear: Campagnolo Bora One 35 tubular - 680
Tyre, front: Vittoria Corsa G+ tubular 23mm - 268.5
Tyre, rear: Vittoria Corsa G+ tubular 25mm - 280
Cassette: Campagnolo Record 11sp 12/27 - 230
Lockring: Campagnolo Record - 8
Skewers: generic Ti - 43
Ergos: Campagnolo Record 11sp mechanical - 348 (?)
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Record 11sp mechanical - 175
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Record 11sp mechanical - 76
Cranks with fittings & pedals: P2M NG Campagnolo, 11sp (52/36), Speedplay with spindles from TiSpindle.com - 961
BB: Campagnolo PF30 cups - 75
Brakes: EE G3 standard mount (pair) - 172
Brake pads: Campagnolo red carbon x4 - 27
Chain: Campagnolo Record (53 links) - 223
Bar tape: Deda padded, with plugs - 30 (?)
Bottle Cages: 2x Carbonworks - 15
Cage bolts - 2.5
Computer: Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt - 61
Computer mount: Wahoo outfront aero - 25
Brake cable housing: Alligator i-link - 25 (?)
Shift cable housing: Campagnolo - 40 (?)
Shift cables: Campagnolo - 30 (?)
Brake cables: Campagnolo - 30 (?)
Barrel adjusters: SRAM - 6 (?)
Total as listed - 6056

https://flic.kr/p/2eJm4Mb

https://flic.kr/p/24curVv

Love the EE brakes incidentally. Best unnecessary extravagance I've ever indulged in!
Last edited by neeb on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

Quick way to save weight would be cables/housing and recon one-piece cromo cassette.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Second @1llum4's suggestion. The images are not showing, I advice to attach those directly to the post.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Seat clamp, saddle, stem expander and cap, and the wheels/tires would be the places where I’d be looking at cutting weight without gigantic expenses. You can easily cut the saddle weight in half with a berk if it fits you well. It’s simply a matter of budget!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Extralite ultrastar will save you 20g for about $30
Shimano alloy freehub will save you ~50g for about $50
SRAM Red Cassette will save you 65g for $100-175 (used)

Also not able to see the pictures :(

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Your estimated weights for the shifters, cables and housing are all quite low. My SR shifters (with some tuning) are 345g. My cables and housing (all i-links) are 110g

neeb

by neeb

Hopefully that's the pictures fixed, tell me if otherwise... why is it so *** difficult these days to post direct links on forums..??? :x :x

Thanks all, some great weight saving suggestions there!

- Cables: I've currently gone with a compromise with the i-link outers for the brakes while keeping the Campagnolo ones for the shifters. It's such a faff setting up i-links, and as the gears are more performance critical as regards friction etc and weight savings are less, I'm not convinced it's worth the hassle.

- Cassette & freehub: This is a great suggestion! Never used SRAM cassettes, I know the width is the same for 11sp but will the shifting really be just as good? How is the wear?

- Reluctant to swap the bung/expander as I've never felt comfortable with expanders that don't internally support the entire clamped length of the steerer tube (i.e. under all of the stem bolts). The Colnago one was the lightest I could find that does this.

- Wheels / tyres - probably not going to happen right now, I love the Boras and the Corsas.

- Berk saddle - I've been thinking about this! They look nice. I've run Specialized for years and the 143mm seems to fit me perfectly. All the Berk options seem to be either significantly narrower or wider however.. I've used both Specialized Toupe and Romin and got on with both.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Super Record cassette and maybe a KMC X11SL chain?

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

Actually, I think the background is quite good~

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Awesome color, green is my fav👍 Did you add accent to PM yourself? Oh, and SRAM cassette shifts great.

neeb

by neeb

Klaster_1 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 am
Awesome color, green is my fav👍 Did you add accent to PM yourself? Oh, and SRAM cassette shifts great.
Yup, I like green too.. :D That’s Ridley’s “light metallic green”, with the logos in “dark metallic green”.

The PM accents are the stickers as supplied by P2M in a range of colours. The question now is do I want the little rubber logos in green for the EE brakes or would that be overkill? There’s such a thing as having too much colour coordination.. I’m even considering red accents for the brakes to match the campy carbon pads and the Record logos.

StanK

by StanK

rexyi1990 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:01 am
Actually, I think the background is quite good~
I second that. Colour of the bike too. Very refreashing from all that black :)

Btw. I don't remember I ever saw here that somebody put their Garmin/Wahoo/whatever ... on bike part list. I think this is correct way, to meassure bike with it, because I'm pretty sure no one is going anywhere without it. The fact that it is easy to take it off and that does not have to be on a bicycle is virtually irrelevant.

neeb

by neeb

I’m probably biased against the background because where I come from, slightly grotty Victorian sandstone walls are what 70% of the urban architecture is made of... But I suppose that’s not the case everywhere... 😀

Look565w

by Look565w

neeb wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:35 pm
I’m probably biased against the background because where I come from, slightly grotty Victorian sandstone walls are what 70% of the urban architecture is made of... But I suppose that’s not the case everywhere... 😀
Do you live near my neck of the woods? :thumbup:

P.S I really like the clean & simplicity of your whole set-up!

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

How about using powercordz for lighter cables? I used to use a Toupe 143 as well and took to the Berk Lukna instantly even though it is supposed to be narrower. I am pretty sure a Lupina will work well with you too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk