Klein Quantum II 'Barn Find' Commuter Hack

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

12 speed would look good on it. New wheels would be needed though. Also ditch the white tape. That looks gash in any bike.

The frame looks wonderful. Don't sell it. You'll regret it.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I have a set of Fulcrum Racing Speed 40c clinchers that I'd put on it to use with the 12spd kit. Problem is I would then want to change the headset, seatpost, stem, bars and cranks to black too.

The cranks particularly are an issue as the frame uses an old Klein square taper pressfit standard and is a 76mm wide shell. The only saving grace there is that the original BB is in good condition, so I could switch to something like a black Middleburn square taper crank.

With all the black stuff, if I went that route, I’d probably want to keep the bar tape white for a bit of contrast (plus it ties in with the logos), but I do have a set of pink Fizik bar tape waiting in the wings that matches very well...!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

I don't know much about the ride quality of a Klein, but every single one I've seen has made me think, "Geez, that looks cool."
I prefer the white saddle/tape. Looks the business.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

coreyaugustus wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:43 pm
I prefer the white saddle/tape. Looks the business.
Thanks!

Looks pretty good with a set of '09 Zipp 303s on it, too:

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

And now wearing an original Flite Evolution:

eric01

by eric01

Phil wood makes a BB conversion for the older Klein pressed in to modern cranks.

I used to have 1995 Klein and did a little research but ended up selling it instead.

https://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/outboard.php
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

eric01 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:08 am
Phil wood makes a BB conversion for the older Klein pressed in to modern cranks.
They do, but it's pretty involved - it's a 76mm BB shell so Phil Wood recommend facing it down to 73mm then using an MTB crank; which ain't happening.

If I could face it down to 68mm then use their solution with a 24mm road crank I'd be really keen, but I don't fancy trying to shave 4mm off each side and risk the frame getting damaged beyond repair.

As it is, the original BB bearings are Phil Wood and they're still smooth as silk (it has covered less than 4500km from new) so there's still plenty of life left in them. If I need to change the cranks I'll probably go with Middleburn as they still make square taper and they'll fit with the retro aesthetic.