Noob

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

WilierDood

by WilierDood

Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and show off a 'new' frame I recently acquired. 2014 Wilier Zero.7, new old stock size XS. I know, it's an 'old' frame, but I've wanted one for quite a long time. Truth be told, I wasn't really shopping for a new frame, but just by happenstance was offered this frame for price that would have been foolish to decline. The frame came in at 794 grams with DH, barrel adjusters and BB cable guide. Sans those 3 items, it came in at 777 grams (boy does that make my OCD happy). Not sure what direction I'll take with this frame yet (my other road bike is a 2012 Cento1), but weight will certainly be a consideration- I'm not a racer, so this'll be a fun bike. I don't have an unlimited budget so you won't be seeing a 4.5kg build from me. I'd be happy to be around 5.4-5.8. It'll be a slow build, but I'll update as I make progress. Already decided on eTap, but I'm up in the air for everything else. I'll unfortunately have to run the Mercury clinchers for a while, but a light tubular wheelset is def. on the list.
Attachments
Z7_1.png
Z7_2.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I got to demo a pair of M5's last summer - they're a good wheel, I wouldn't apologize for them.

Looks like it'll be a fun build, good luck!

WilierDood

by WilierDood

jbaillie wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 pm
I got to demo a pair of M5's last summer - they're a good wheel, I wouldn't apologize for them.

Thanks, looking forward to it! I certainly don't have anything bad to say about the M5's- I quite like them actually. They're just on the heavy side and not necessarily the best choice for a light climbing bike...in my opinion anyway.
Bikes:

2014 Wilier Zero.7
2012 Wilier Cento1

Gone and mostly forgotten:
2009 Wilier Mortirolo

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

jbaillie wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Maybe a UT-connection on the wheels?

I'm impressed with the low weight of the Willier. There's a handful of under the radar frames that don't get the credit they deserve for their low(er) weight.

What's the fork come in at?

WilierDood

by WilierDood

Johnny Rad wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:39 pm
I'm impressed with the low weight of the Willier. There's a handful of under the radar frames that don't get the credit they deserve for their low(er) weight.

What's the fork come in at?
374 grams according to my scale (uncut)
Attachments
IMG_0362.jpg
Bikes:

2014 Wilier Zero.7
2012 Wilier Cento1

2009 Wilier Mortirolo

WilierDood

by WilierDood

340 grams cut w/30mm to play with for fit. Kinda porky IMO. I'll weigh it again after I have my fit dialed in.
Attachments
IMG_0366.jpg
Bikes:

2014 Wilier Zero.7
2012 Wilier Cento1

2009 Wilier Mortirolo

WilierDood

by WilierDood

Z7 update: The build is coming along very nicely, although I'm still waiting on some parts to finish it off. Running eTap group, Ritchey SuperLogic Evo Curve bars (380mm), SuperLogic headset, SuperLogic seatpost (stock wilier), OE Wilier-supplied seat clamp and a Ritchey WCS 90mm alloy stem (had it lying around) KCNC expander, lightened. Red aerolink brakes with ilinks cables. FSA SL-K ABS light crankset with 165mm cranks, 50/34 chainrings (cranks are just hanging in the BB hole in the pic). I'm waiting on my saddle, bottom bracket (wheels mfg w/enduro angular contact bearings), bottle cages (smud), seatpost clamp (also smud), bar tape (DSP 2.5) and finally pedals (keo blade carbon Ti). I'll be running the Mercury M5 clinchers for a while until I can save up enough for a set of FSE 25T Super Extralites. The M5's, as pictured (with XG1190 cassette, Specialized Turbo 26C tires and butyl tubes) weigh a hefty 2565 grams (!!), so I have a LOT of room for improvement in just the wheelset. Of course, I have a full spreadsheet with weights for everything, down to the brake cable ferrules. Projected final weight with the Mercury M5's is somewhere in the 6650 range. With the right wheelset, and replacing a few of the heavier components I used (brakes, seatpost, stem, etc.), this should (hopefully) be a sub-12lb. build pretty easily. We shall see. If anyone wants to know the weight of any thing I've used, LMK.
Attachments
IMG_0633.jpg
Bikes:

2014 Wilier Zero.7
2012 Wilier Cento1

2009 Wilier Mortirolo

WilierDood

by WilierDood

Done. I've only had a chance to ride it around the block a few times, so no ride impressions yet (weather has been terrible). This is the first bike I've built myself and I'm fairly happy with the results. I'm still waiting on some Smud parts (seatpost clamp and bottle cages) which will shave a few grams. I didn't realize the M5's weighed as much as they do, so I'm thinking a simple wheel swap will get me down into the 5500 gram range or less, depending on what I go with. That said, given my relatively low budget, I think I did pretty well. I don't have a hanging scale (yet), so I'll have to rely on the spreadsheet weight for now, but I'm confident it'll be very close. Can't wait for a nice day to see how this bike climbs. I'll get some better pics when the weather improves.
Attachments
Z7 Build.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg
IMG_0687.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg
Bikes:

2014 Wilier Zero.7
2012 Wilier Cento1

2009 Wilier Mortirolo

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

I'm sure you will love this frame. "Old" is hardly related to quality of design, and it seems this generation of Zero7 was better than the one that followed. Coming from my R3 the thing that stood out the most was the amazing tracking of this frame through corners. I can carry scary amounts of speed through turns that would have been hazardous on the R3 :D It is also lighter, stiffer while being smoother, and the geometry works perfectly for my body type. I hope you will love it as much as I love mine.

ps. very jealous of your etap setup! Perfect choice for this frame IMO (I run good old rival...)
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

WilierDood

by WilierDood

Quite right you are! I'm lucky enough to be friends with the USA importer for Wilier and even he is of the opinion that the first generation zero.7 is easily one of the best frames Wilier ever made. Despite having his pick of the current model lineup, he said he still likes his first gen Z7 the best. I only mentioned old because frame technology has advanced quite a bit since 2014, and plenty of people have already built some pretty wicked Z7's. When I went from my Mortirolo to my Cento1, the difference was astounding, and I struggled to understand how the Z7 could be that much better than the Cento1. Well...now I understand. :D After swapping a few parts recently, I'm now just under 6.3kg.
Fluoro7 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:24 pm
I'm sure you will love this frame. "Old" is hardly related to quality of design, and it seems this generation of Zero7 was better than the one that followed. Coming from my R3 the thing that stood out the most was the amazing tracking of this frame through corners. I can carry scary amounts of speed through turns that would have been hazardous on the R3 :D It is also lighter, stiffer while being smoother, and the geometry works perfectly for my body type. I hope you will love it as much as I love mine.

ps. very jealous of your etap setup! Perfect choice for this frame IMO (I run good old rival...)
Bikes:

2014 Wilier Zero.7
2012 Wilier Cento1

2009 Wilier Mortirolo

WilierDood

by WilierDood

Exactly 6.50kg. Still waiting on my Smud cages and seatpost clamp.
Attachments
IMG_0879.jpg
Bikes:

2014 Wilier Zero.7
2012 Wilier Cento1

2009 Wilier Mortirolo

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

Great weight and glad you are loving it!
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com