Custom Giant TCR SL disc build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mort

by Mort

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:00 pm
Mort wrote:
What do you suggest will help lower the weight? I’ve been thinking about switching to Carbon-Ti cranks but that’s all I’ve come up with so far.
Lighter disc rotors, 23mm Pro Ones instead of 28s, and a weight weenie cassette from B-Dop or Recon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive looked into the recon cassette, I think having a matching black one would be cool, but they’re aluminum and I’ve read they don’t last very long. I still might do it anyways but it’ll have to be replaced every year. And 23mm tires won’t fit on the 4.5’s. The internal width is 25, 31mm external. 28 is the lowest you can go.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Mort wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:51 pm
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:00 pm
Mort wrote:
What do you suggest will help lower the weight? I’ve been thinking about switching to Carbon-Ti cranks but that’s all I’ve come up with so far.
Lighter disc rotors, 23mm Pro Ones instead of 28s, and a weight weenie cassette from B-Dop or Recon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive looked into the recon cassette, I think having a matching black one would be cool, but they’re aluminum and I’ve read they don’t last very long. I still might do it anyways but it’ll have to be replaced every year. And 23mm tires won’t fit on the 4.5’s. The internal width is 25, 31mm external. 28 is the lowest you can go.
Then I'd say you need wheels that are more suitable for that bike like a set of whatever with a 21mm internal width (easier said than done). Start with lightweight rotors and a cassette. Should be able to drop 250 grams.. give or take.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoPho

by MoPho

Mort wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:53 pm
I saw a guy on the “show us your Giant” thread who spray painted the fork and some other parts and you honestly would never be able to tell that it didn’t come like that. I used vinyl wrap to delete the orange bits and wheel decals on my defy and from afar you would never know.

That was probably me

refthimos

by refthimos

Mort wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:39 pm
My bike is a M, so that’s probably where the weight difference comes from. And the paint only added 57 grams to the frame, I weighed it before and after. Ron Jones paints all the custom specialized bikes ridden by the pros, like Sagan and Alaphilippe, so he knows how to keep the weight down. I think what hurts us is the wheels, my set with Chris King hubs weighed in at 1,583g. The 3.4’s by comparison are 300g lighter. Although, under 16lbs is still incredibly light! I can definitely feel the difference from my Defy.
Wow, 57g! There is only so much you can do to a disc bike to lighten it, and it looks like both of us went with function rather then trying for a true WW build. You're right, the 4.5 ARs with the 28c tires that balloon out to 32mm across on those wheels are not light, but it's like magic carpet ride with the volume at 55psi.

I do have to admit that I am viewing my TCR as a "training bike," because it seems to be slower than my EVO on climbs and I have no doubt it will be slower than the SystemSix (allegedly arriving next month) on the flats. I have enough PM data and segment data over the years to have a pretty good feel for this. I know that's not terribly scientific, but it is what it is. Nonetheless, super fun bike to ride and is my daily rider at the moment.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

jelledb

by jelledb

Gorgeous build!!!! A lot of attention to details and the awesome paint job is the ice on the cake!!! This frame set was on my short list past summer as well 😊

shotgun

by shotgun

Mort wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:41 pm

Stem Giant SLR - ProVibe or VLC Stems - save about 10-20g
Bars Shimano Pro Vibe Aero - swtich to non-aero - save about 10-30g
Saddle Specialized S-Works Power Arc - a good number of options, but fit is most important. You can try the older S-works Toupe save 30g
Hubs Chris King R45 C in Matte Jet - Could switch to Enve hubs ($$$) but CK are awesome
Tires Schwalbe Pro One 28mm - 25mm are lighter, but you lose the comfort
Thru Axle RockShox Maxle 12mm - thur axles without levers save 30g but you'll need to bring a tool

Yeah you can save on the cranks, and wheelset but with the list above that could put it under 7kg
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

Mort

by Mort

MoPho wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:41 pm
Mort wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:53 pm
I saw a guy on the “show us your Giant” thread who spray painted the fork and some other parts and you honestly would never be able to tell that it didn’t come like that. I used vinyl wrap to delete the orange bits and wheel decals on my defy and from afar you would never know.

That was probably me

Yes! I love your bike. You would never be able to tell that you spray painted it and it looks way better that way. Also, it was seeing what you did with your bike that inspired me to go with a custom build from just the frameset instead of going with one of Giants off the shelf options. Killer build man.

Mort

by Mort

refthimos wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:17 pm
Mort wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:39 pm
My bike is a M, so that’s probably where the weight difference comes from. And the paint only added 57 grams to the frame, I weighed it before and after. Ron Jones paints all the custom specialized bikes ridden by the pros, like Sagan and Alaphilippe, so he knows how to keep the weight down. I think what hurts us is the wheels, my set with Chris King hubs weighed in at 1,583g. The 3.4’s by comparison are 300g lighter. Although, under 16lbs is still incredibly light! I can definitely feel the difference from my Defy.
Wow, 57g! There is only so much you can do to a disc bike to lighten it, and it looks like both of us went with function rather then trying for a true WW build. You're right, the 4.5 ARs with the 28c tires that balloon out to 32mm across on those wheels are not light, but it's like magic carpet ride with the volume at 55psi.

I do have to admit that I am viewing my TCR as a "training bike," because it seems to be slower than my EVO on climbs and I have no doubt it will be slower than the SystemSix (allegedly arriving next month) on the flats. I have enough PM data and segment data over the years to have a pretty good feel for this. I know that's not terribly scientific, but it is what it is. Nonetheless, super fun bike to ride and is my daily rider at the moment.
I agree, the 4.5’s make for an incredibly comfortable ride. Most of the roads in my town are this packed gravel garbage and with my Defy (25mm tires) my feet would go numb from all the vibrations, that doesn’t happen with the new bike. I think it’s definitely worth the slight weight penalty.

You’re getting the new systemSix! That’s awesome, those bikes look incredible in the pictures. You’ll have to start a thread with some pictures and let us know how it rides. I was debating between building and Aero Propel instead of the TCR but decided against it. I still might get one because of the n+1 rule, but the problem I have is that there isn’t a single flat road anywhere near me. I’m either climbing or descending no matter which direction I ride.