Spez Épic 11.79kg, goal is 9.70, down to 9.30, possible 9.20 [emoji1690]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

I got a Specialized Epic 2018 with the idea to start with a good base frame. I couldn’t believe that the carbon comp is 100-150grams heavier that the S-Works. Shooting for $4k total and 9.79kg. Fair deal almost S-Works weight.

Just got the bike and in the meantime to ride it. made it tubeless, added my shimano xtr pedals, power 168mm saddle and 2 cages. Currently weight is 11.79kg.

Shooting for 9.79kg. Only keeping stock the fork, stem, headset, der hangers and fork/frame axles.

Find below my spreadsheet with parts. As parts arrive I’ll post pictures of weight.

Pictures of bike as current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by chrisMTB on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Hey, that's nice 👍 Are you sure about liteskin tires set up tubeless? Also, some parts in that list can be lighter, probably some grams to lose if you choose parts with better weight/price ratio, like stem (Kalloy Uno 7, Lyti, Wren), PYC SP1101 chain, XTR RD, lighter cable housing and maybe pedals. Check out my build, the budget is 5k USD exactly without shipping costs and my frame/fork are heavier.

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

Klaster_1 wrote:Hey, that's nice Image Are you sure about liteskin tires set up tubeless? Also, some parts in that list can be lighter, probably some grams to lose if you choose parts with better weight/price ratio, like stem (Kalloy Uno 7, Lyti, Wren), PYC SP1101 chain, XTR RD, lighter cable housing and maybe pedals. Check out my build, the budget is 5k USD exactly without shipping costs and my frame/fork are heavier.
Klaster_1,

I just saw your thread yesterday and I have to say you did a great job researching and building your bike. Sorry but can you explain about Lyti, and Wren? I’ve never heard of that.

I may go lighter housing like the alligator mini I links. About the liteskin tires I’ve ran them in the past without any problems. XT is staying for sure since I already have all the parts.

I may upgrade to the new 12 speed XTR in the future if I sell a pair of road disc carbon wheels that I have laying around.

Pd. Today’s ride. 30 miles with 3,000ft of elevation. Mix of road and fire road. 6 mile climb! Bike is feeling great, fork is already set up to my liking. I’ll add 10 psi more on the rear shock and it should be awesome!

scant

by scant

I cant add much to whats already been suggested, xpedo 8ti pedals are lighter & reliable, i can also vouch for the already mentioned wren components stem. how about lizard skin esi grips, they're similiar size & feel to the ESi but less than half the weight. maginal gains, but selective use of titanium & alu bolts.7I guess you like the saddle, but its not lite. something like a fizik gobi carbon 00 is 149g & still padded (i've tried a 69g smud saddle, it was only comfortable for up to 2hr rides)

hopp carbon make a carbon adapter for the specialized brain mount, but its quite expensive for a small weight gain.

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

scant wrote:I cant add much to whats already been suggested, xpedo 8ti pedals are lighter & reliable, i can also vouch for the already mentioned wren components stem. how about lizard skin esi grips, they're similiar size & feel to the ESi but less than half the weight. maginal gains, but selective use of titanium & alu bolts.7I guess you like the saddle, but its not lite. something like a fizik gobi carbon 00 is 149g & still padded (i've tried a 69g smud saddle, it was only comfortable for up to 2hr rides)

hopp carbon make a carbon adapter for the specialized brain mount, but its quite expensive for a small weight gain.

Cool! Thanks for the recommendations. Saddle is a boat anchor but it’s my size(168mm) and super comfortable.

Wren Sports stem looks very nice. 100mm 6 degree angle at 89 grams! That’s a great option.

Never seen those lizard skins ESI! They look like a good option.

I’ll get the Xpedo 8ti pedals!

I already got the hubs, crankset, chainring, derailleur, shifter, cassette and brakes. I’ll post pictures in a minute.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

chrisMTB wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:49 pm
Sorry but can you explain about Lyti, and Wren?
Wren, Lyti, Kalloy Uno (and bolts).

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

Klaster_1 wrote:
chrisMTB wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:49 pm
Sorry but can you explain about Lyti, and Wren?
Wren, Lyti, Kalloy Uno (and bolts).
Thanks Klaster. I got a Syntace F109 110mm. I’ll try it on and see if I like it. If it’s too long I’ll go with a Kalloy Uno 100mm.

Last edited by chrisMTB on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

Parts are starting to arrive:

Race Face Next R Carbon Crankset 175mm: 408 grams

Race Face Cinch Chainring 28t: 54 grams

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

Ashima Ai2 160mm rotors: 142 grams

Rotor Rvolver boost Front Hub: 111 grams

Rotor Rvolver boost Rear Hub: 237 grams

Tune Carbon Seatpost 27.2 x 350mm: 106 grams

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

By the way, why did you decide to go with Next R instead of Next SL, was it too fragile or maybe a good deal?

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

Klaster_1 wrote:By the way, why did you decide to go with Next R instead of Next SL, was it too fragile or maybe a good deal?
I was a good deal that I couldn’t let it go.

I Ordered the Alligator mini I-links for the shifter housing, Lizard Skins DSP mtb grips and Xpedo 8ti pedals. Pics to come.

scant

by scant

wow Chris you dont mess about! this build is coming together fast! |'ll be curious to hear what you think of the hubs longer term

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

scant wrote:wow Chris you dont mess about! this build is coming together fast! |'ll be curious to hear what you think of the hubs longer term
Scant,

For sure I’ll be reporting how the bike and parts are holding. I didn’t found any reviews on the hubs since they’re so new.

I use to race Cat 2 8 years ago and placed in podium In the US Kenda Cup West series. Now I got the bug to start racing again and the weight weenie inside me came out and its hungry Image

Back then I had a Rocky Mountain Element at 9.8kg and didn’t had luck with titanium cassettes, powercordz and carbón seat clamps.

Pd. Just scored a new set of Formula R1 brakes that may drop a significant amount of weight Image

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

Race Face BSA to 30mm arrived on the mail ImageImage most parts are coming below expected weight!!! 83 grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

First goal was 9.79kg

With all the changes coming up. We may go under 9.4kg, still keeping the Rockhox Reba in the meantime.

I threw the house through the window and blew past the $4k budget. Lol