Itroducing Franky Fontana and my sweet problem

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

gello

by gello

Let's do an intro first:
I'm 39 and relatively new to road cycling.
I had my first road bike back in 2012 which was a hungarian Csepel Torpedo. It was a steel frame but perfect to start this jurney with and I completely fell in love with the sport.
My next bike came two years after and it was a Cannondale six13. It was a bit oversized, but still a completely different league compared to the Csepel. I started to enjoy climbing in the surrounding mountains (it's Hungary, so don't expect real high stuff)
Then with a group of friends we decided to try ourself on L'etape du Tour in 2016 so I felt I needed a new and full carbon bike for this challenge. Then came a Trek Emonda S 5. Of course it was an entry level carbon bike, but it was still a good improvement. I really enjoyed riding it, but I already strated to realize what difference a good bike can make, so I walked with open eyes looking for new options.
But my new bike came from an unexpected place, my brother simply gave me his Bianchi Oltre Xr2 with Ultegra Di2 groupset. For some reason I never liked Bianchi, I thought it's a bit overrated and priced. Our relationship also didn't start very well, because as soon as I got it, everything started to fall apart. It took me a good 2-3 months to fix everything and start to finally enjoy it. By the time I rode the 2017 Maratona dles Dolomites I completely fell in love with it and we had so much nice adventures.
Until last year when after completing a multi-stage amateur race in Austria it was stolen.
I felt really empty afterwards and even started to distance from cycling. I switched back to running which I was pretty good at, but never enjoyed it as much as cycling. The police case was taking ages but I had to wait until it is closed to start the fight with the insurance company if they will provide any coverage.
Since other sports couldn't fill in the space, but I didn't have the money for a new bike I realized I have to go with a temporary solution so I started to build a low-cost bike which I can use until they close my case.
Since I had a lot of spare parts at home I actually only needed a frameset and some other smaller parts and accessories. My challenge was to go as low-cost as possible but still build a good bike.

So this is how Franky "frankeinstein" Fontana came alive:
Frame: Luigi Fontana Alu+Carbon - 1350g
Fork: Deda Blackforce 2 - 545g
Seatpost: Deda Blackstick - 200g
Chainring: Shimano FC RS500 - 830g
Bottom Bracket: Shimano SM BBR60 - (forgot to meassure!!)
Handlebar: FSA Plasma (integrated) - 385g
Saddle: Fizik Arione Wing Flex - 245g
Derailleurs: Campagnolo Veloce - 340g
Shifters: Campagnolo Veloce - 415g
Brakes: FSA Gossamer - 300g
Wheels: Vision Team 30 - front: 860g, rear (incl casette): 1430g

The total weight with all cables, pedals, tires, bottle cases and probably some other small parts i forgot to measure: 8.7kg which is not bad considering I spent less than 300 EUR on this.
The great thing that already the procecss of building it brought back all my motivation and passion for cycling and since then we already broke the majority of my previous PR-s and even collected some new KOMs around my city. My original plan was that I will sell it as soon as I get a new bike, but now I hardly can imagine this.

However, in the meantime the police case was closed, of course they didn't find the bike, but it turned out that the insurance coverage was pretty good. So now I'm in this sweet state of having a good budget for a new bike but no urge at all, since I have Franky to ride with. In a new topic I would like to ask for your advice and opinion on what you would suggest if you were in my situation.

Cheers!

themidge

by themidge

Welcome! Nice bike :thumbup: you don't see so many half 'n' half frames like that any more.

What's that bike hanging on the right next to the big cardboard box? The one with the downtube shifters and bullhorn handlebars, it looks quite interesting.

by Weenie

gello

by gello

themidge wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:47 pm
What's that bike hanging on the right next to the big cardboard box? The one with the downtube shifters and bullhorn handlebars, it looks quite interesting.
That's my other build I use for my daily commute. It's again a hungarian Csepel Marathon from 1975 which I recently rebuilt in a bit custom way.