Starting off on the wrong foot: Cannondale SUPERSIX EVO Hi-NOT??

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cjnl

by cjnl

I have been reading for some time now on WW, but I decided to contribute a bit.

Currently riding:
- 2011 Canyon Aeroad: first model
- 2011 CAAD 10: Winter bike
- 2012 Cervelo P3 (Classic): training bike
- 2014 Specialized Shiv: race bike
- 2016 Canyon Aeroad 9.0: loving everything except the non-ergonomic handlebar

I competed quite a bit, mainly in Running and Duathlon. And the second part of this year I focused on the Alpentraum. Full distance: 265 km and more than 6000 meters of climbing. I rode that Granfondo on my 2016 Canyon Aeroad. I loved it and now decided to focus on long some races for next year. Giving me a reason to go for a new lightweight build that can be used for racing. :D My goal is to reach the 5500 gram, but overall performance is more important than just the weight of course.

I bought the frame: 2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD. Quite the bargain on Bike24. Cannondale states it should be weighing 1057 gram for the total.

The frame comes in at 831 grams with only the seat post clamp on left it. Not the 777 as advertised but with the multiple layers of paint, not that far off.
The fork, uncut, weighs 383 grams. That is just disgusting in my opinion. Cannondale lists the fork as being 280 grams. More than 36% higher than claimed!
Fork_Weight.jpg
My first guess it is a mistake. They have given me a standard fork, not the Hi-MOD version. As can be seen in the pictures from Cannondale, there should be an HM logo on the fork. There isn't.
Fork_Right.jpg
ExpectedFork.jpg
I discussed with the online shop, bike24, and they will contact the Cannondale distributor, but they expect it is within tolerance.
For now, I am really disappointed by the numbers and I am not quite sure if I want to keep this frameset. I have seen disc forks that have the same weight. And as a consumer, do we still have to put up with these lies?

Current build list:
BuildList.png
Last edited by cjnl on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwestern

by northwestern

I just saw the prices on bike24 and it was a great deal. But sometimes when products are this cheap it means they have imperfections or they are not up to the quality of full priced items.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cjnl

by cjnl

I agree if it were a non-brand product. But when you get a discount on for example a BMW, you don't expect it to be any less than other BMW's. Unless clearly stated there is some quality issue.

To me, it is pretty common to get a bigger discount on outdated models. On current Cannondale models, 20% off is not uncommon.

But if this is the lesson for me to learn, I'll just return it.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

that is no imperfection, that is simply the wrong fork. i d return it immediately. regards

ps: do you man the "endura alpentraum", from sonthofen to sulden? i finished it 2014 and 2015. 2015 was the last x it was carried out, afaik. did they repeat it in 2018?

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Probably the wrong fork. This was on my older Evo2 hi-mod, uncut:
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

cjnl

by cjnl

You don't want to know how many lighter forks I have seen in the last couple of days on WW! :wink:
The most confronting one was from the same year (2018), but a disc version having the same weight as mine...

You really have an excellent version, uncut and with paint. :shock:

cjnl

by cjnl

reedplayer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:51 pm
ps: do you man the "endura alpentraum", from sonthofen to sulden? i finished it 2014 and 2015. 2015 was the last x it was carried out, afaik. did they repeat it in 2018?
My mind was somewhere else writing that. I meant: https://www.alpenbrevet.ch. This year starting in Andermatt. Sustenpass, Grimselpass, Nufenenpass, Lukmanierpass, Oberalppass. Heroic circumstances: freezing at some of the mountain tops, 25 degrees in Biasca, the lowest point.

Friends of mine rode the Alpentraum in 2015 too. They were to ones to 'convince' me to start in the AlpenBrevet. Telling me the Alpentraum wasn't much of a challenge anymore. :roll:

garjo

by garjo

it's a non-HM carbon fork, around 80 grams heavier and with no HM logo on it, so this could easily explains the cheap price you paid.
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

ak47

by ak47

I bet they knew they have a bunch of these frames mixed with wrong forks, but tried to sell it anyway and hope the customers without scale/knowledge would not realize they have received inferior product. That's the reason why discount was so big - most people would accept this frameset and they can get rid of inferior product from their stock.

That's not a good service from Bike24.

I would return this frameset.

cjnl

by cjnl

I really don't know if that was the strategy of Bike24. It certainly did not feel that way.

Not just this Cannondale is on sale, but also last year's Trek Emonda SLR H1.
I asked if it was anything like the Cannondale and one of the guys of Bike24 put it on the scale for me. To be transparent :): it weighs 1230 grams with the fork, expander, spacers, headset, S3 chainguard and derailleur hangers. Given the BB90 and 140 grams Trek seatmast I turned down the offer. So to me, they are really willing to help.

Hopefully, I can exchange the fork. Otherwise, I have to start hunting again for another deal. :cry:

Jugi

by Jugi

ak47 wrote:I bet they knew they have a bunch of these frames mixed with wrong forks, but tried to sell it anyway and hope the customers without scale/knowledge would not realize they have received inferior product.
I would bet otherwise. They have thousands of products in their inventory, so it's not impossible to have some misleading or incorrect product descriptions in there. Although Bike24 is a huge retailer, I don't think they (or parent company WiggleCRC) can afford to be seen as selling inferiors products. Their business definetly doesn't depend on selling counterfeit or inferior products.

I wonder whether a frameset like this has come off the factory line in the first place? Or has somebody got hold of EVO Hi-Mod frames and EVO forks, and then put them together intentionally as a mismatching frameset?
ak47 wrote: I would return this frameset.
So would I. A Hi-Mod (or an S-Works etc.) is bought just because it is an Hi-Mod, no matter what the price is.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

cjnl wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:40 pm
The fork, uncut, weighs 383 grams. That is just disgusting in my opinion. Cannondale lists the fork as being 280 grams. More than 36% higher than claimed!
Fork_Weight.jpg
What does the UCI sticker inside the crown say?

My 2016 258g Hi-mod fork says CANN-S6E2-RD.

cjnl

by cjnl

Thank you for the suggestion! And congrats on an amazing weight on your fork.

It is the same code:
UCI_Approval.jpg

C36

by C36

The paint may weight quite a lot... 330g here, 50g above the std HM (but white paint has always been heavier... this being said I will check with the SN on the steering tube if cannondale can confirm or not being a HM (I don’t think this colour scheme existed in non hm...)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guibarhu

by Guibarhu

Hi, I ordered a few days ago the same frameset at Bike 24, It will arrive next week. I didn’t read this post until now... the price is really a bargain. I will post the weights when it arrives(size 56) More to come. Bye

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk