Factor Vista CHPT3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Have this on review for a few weeks - the fully internal cable & hose routing was a bit of a bitch, but it's a great looking bike:

Spec is Dura-Ace R9120 with Rotor 3D+ cranks (at the moment - Easton cranks waiting in the wings to try too) and an SQlab saddle. Wheels are Hunt Aero Light and the tyres are Grand Bois Cypres 30c (which actually measure 32mm). All the rest of it is proprietry Factor/Black Inc kit (bar-stem combo & seatpost).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

the fork looks thin.. otherwise I like it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Curious... what do you mean when you say you “have it on review for a few weeks”? Did you build it for a friend? Are you reviewing it for a publication or some internet site?
But aside from that, could you elaborate on how it was a “bitch” to cable up? Any pics of some of the more interesting parts of the process? In particular, what the heck is going on with the steertube/fork interaction. Looks way too proprietary for my liking. Does it add anything or improve upon the basic headtube/steertube design currently used by the vast majority of other manufacturers. Simple is always good in my eyes. If it’s going to be more complex then it better be adding some benefits that far outweigh the added complexity.
As for how it looks, a dog’s breakfast comes to mind, especially those seatstays. But on a positive note...uh... I’m at a loss. What’s this bike really intended for and what does it weigh?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tonytourist

by tonytourist

How many miles do you plan to put on it?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Calnago wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:54 am
Curious... what do you mean when you say you “have it on review for a few weeks”? Did you build it for a friend? Are you reviewing it for a publication or some internet site?
I write for CycleEXIF.com
Calnago wrote:
But aside from that, could you elaborate on how it was a “bitch” to cable up? Any pics of some of the more interesting parts of the process?
Fully internal hoses and full length cable outers fully internally routed - by which I mean, through the bars, down the 'steerer' (sort of), into the frame and then out of the holes right near the brakes and derailleurs. Notice how you can't really see any cables or hoses? The bar-stem particularly was awful to route it all through. No pics, but I might try and get some when I dismantle it to send back.
Calnago wrote:
In particular, what the heck is going on with the steertube/fork interaction. Looks way too proprietary for my liking. Does it add anything or improve upon the basic headtube/steertube design currently used by the vast majority of other manufacturers. Simple is always good in my eyes. If it’s going to be more complex then it better be adding some benefits that far outweigh the added complexity.
It's a Factor thing. It comes from the Factor One, and they've obviously decided to carry it through to this. Benefits? According to Factor:

"Taking advantage of the proprietary Factor OTIS design, the VISTA features an all-road optimized version of this system. The fork legs’ carbon layup has been optimized for shock and vibration absorption, while it remains torsionally stiff thanks to the external, double clamp design and solid connection to the barstem."

So, none really - marketing speak is all I get from that; and the ride says nothing more so far. Time will tell, though.
Calnago wrote:
As for how it looks, a dog’s breakfast comes to mind, especially those seatstays. But on a positive note...uh... I’m at a loss. What’s this bike really intended for and what does it weigh?
Each to their own. I like it, but I don't necessarily want one. As for intent, it's basically a gravel bike - although with more of a road leaning, given that it 'only' has clearance for 35s (which I find laughable, given that I've always used road bikes as my 'gravel bike', so 35mm is massive to me).

Weight will follow - it's not a priority for me to know, but I am curious.
tonytourist wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:59 am
How many miles do you plan to put on it?
As many as I can before I have to give it back.

zebra

by zebra

I'm interested to know how you get on with those brakes after that routing. I've found that on the factor one, the routing can cause the shimano hydro to struggle a little, although all seems well now.

I think the larger size makes this look a little on the odd side but let us know how you get on with it. Enjoy the free bike while you have it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What @Zebra says, although I’m more inclined to think that mechanical shifting will be more compromised than the hydraulic lines, at least after its all installed. Shimano cables are generally pretty adept at making bends. After all, they still have to make that 90 degree bend out of the lever; however, at that point they haven’t even entered the housing yet, but there are just too many tight and close together bends that this routing has to take for me to think that shifting will ever be as good as it would be on a bike with more “relaxed” routing. Then there is the trio of full housing lengths that are making their way through the downtube.... I hope in your testing you keep an open ear for any banging of cable housing against the insides of the tubes, both in the downtube and even the thinnish bar profile. After all, it’s meant to be ridden on some “bumpy” stuff, right, given it’s gravel intent and all. I guess you’d have to source bulk cable housing as well. Lastly, how does the full length housing make its final run up to front derailleur. Where is the final stop before the bare cable exits and goes up to the front derailleur? There must be one right?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

This is what I am starting to hate about the direction of bike design. Amazing complications and difficulties in terms of design, build, and maintenance have been added for what? Aero gains? On a gravel bike? How long will it take riding off-road for that headset to require a full cleaning? Can you even drop the fork on that "thing" without doing a whole re-cable job?

I was at a Giant dealer today. The 2019 top model of the Giant Defy appears to be a fabulous bike. I noticed the headset felt stiff so a turned the handlebar lock-to-lock and proceded to rip out the rubber head set spacer thingy. The integrated cables and hoses simply don't allow that amount of fork turning without pulling the rubber spacer out of its seating. Massive pain in the ass cable and hose routing to acheive improved aerodynamics for a bike that will be ridden by mostly old men at a leisurely pace. I am all for modern, streamlined, aero, etc., but dammit, make it work. Much better design is needed.

And worst of all, all of this "design", is heavier.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

F45

by F45

The aero fork/stem/bar design added to the square and round tubes of the rest of the bike. Paradoxical. How is the tire clearance?

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

The Vista looks pretty much an endurance bike with slightly more tire clearance. I believe tire limit is 35mm.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

flying

by flying

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:44 am
This is what I am starting to hate about the direction of bike design. Amazing complications and difficulties in terms of design, build, and maintenance have been added for what? Aero gains?

And worst of all, all of this "design", is heavier.
+1 Agreed :beerchug:

guyc

by guyc

Has the Domane gone?

cerro

by cerro

Jealous :) Seems more and more like my dreambike the Vista. Curious in your review of it

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Calnago wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:53 pm
Then there is the trio of full housing lengths that are making their way through the downtube.... I hope in your testing you keep an open ear for any banging of cable housing against the insides of the tubes, both in the downtube and even the thinnish bar profile. After all, it’s meant to be ridden on some “bumpy” stuff, right, given it’s gravel intent and all.
Nothing to report so far - it's been entirely noise-free in that regard.
Calnago wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:53 pm
Where is the final stop before the bare cable exits and goes up to the front derailleur? There must be one right?
It's built into the DA front mech - see pic below:

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:44 am
This is what I am starting to hate about the direction of bike design. Amazing complications and difficulties in terms of design, build, and maintenance have been added for what? Aero gains? On a gravel bike? How long will it take riding off-road for that headset to require a full cleaning? Can you even drop the fork on that "thing" without doing a whole re-cable job?
Not as far as I can tell, no. In that regard it's awful; but I have to confess to loving the lack of visible cables.
guyc wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:13 pm
Has the Domane gone?
The disc one has, but I still have the rim brake one.
cerro wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:20 pm
Jealous :) Seems more and more like my dreambike the Vista. Curious in your review of it
So far it's perfectly good, but I can't really say more than that - I would never pay the full retail asking price for it; and even my 'industry price' is a little eye-watering.
Last edited by RichTheRoadie on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

Cool - saw on Insta that you were loving it but missed that there were two!