Wittson Supressio build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you might have to send thm the brakes for inspection.

Prawn

by Prawn

Some positive news on this project:

Brakes and wheels: I'm not sure I fully understand the following outcome, but here it is: I tried a set of Bora Ultra 35s with the THM brakes... and they are very good! The pulsing is gone. I am at a loss to explain the change compared to the frightening pulsing when using the DT Swiss RRC32 wheels. The only other change is the brake pads - the Boras come with Campy pads whereas the DT Swiss come with Swiss Stop Black Prince. Can anyone offer a plausible explanation? :?

Cranks and power: I splashed out on a set of THM Clavicula SE cranks. These are lightweight works of art. They don't allow for a crank-based power meter, so I'm using an Aeropod from Velocomp to measure power. Early days regading the Aeropod, but so far so good.

Wheels (again): The Boras may be the most confidence-inspiring wheels I've used. I'm slow on descents, so confidence-inspiring wheels are important to me. The downside is that they are clinchers, so the weight savings from the THM brakes and cranks are offset by clinchers... I struggle with not riding tubulars - they are lighter, safer in my view, and I've never been stranded. Tyres are Vittiria Corsa G+ 25mm front 28mm back. That's another change - I've never ridden a 28mm before. More weight... Should I look for a set of Bora Ultra 35 tubs? Not sure I should after just splashing out on the clinchers...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

if you love tubulars so much, why get the clinchers? the 35's are the best wheel i've used, run so smooth and are very fast. weight is not bad either and spokes are repairable. what more can you want?

glad you got the brakes all sorted out. it could be the pads do not like the rims from your old wheel.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Prawn wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am
so I'm using an Aeropod from Velocomp to measure power.
Do you find it a sufficient replacement for conventional PM? What's the weight and price?

Prawn

by Prawn

Klaster_1 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:00 am
Prawn wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am
so I'm using an Aeropod from Velocomp to measure power.
Do you find it a sufficient replacement for conventional PM? What's the weight and price?
So far so good with the aeropod. I have not seen any readings that I thought were anomalous, and on sections that I know well the readings accord with what I have measured with other crank-based power metres. I haven’t had it out on a ride with large temperature changes, but in theory it should be fine. I’m using it as a power metre only; it is designed to provide drag coefficient readings if combined with a ‘normal’ power metre.

Weight of the pod itself is about 43g plus another 30-odd for the GoPro-like mount (including three steel screws contributing 7g... they will be replaced with ti)

Prawn

by Prawn

Latest pictures. What do you think?
Attachments
Changes include the cranks, return of the fibula brakes, and bora ultra wheels. 28mm rear tyre
Changes include the cranks, return of the fibula brakes, and bora ultra wheels. 28mm rear tyre
Aeropod sits to the side. An alternative is to ditch the cycliq and put the pod there... but then where does the light go?
Aeropod sits to the side. An alternative is to ditch the cycliq and put the pod there... but then where does the light go?
CB4517A3-AC18-4D60-B323-278858250407.jpeg

Prawn

by Prawn

mike wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:23 pm
if you love tubulars so much, why get the clinchers? the 35's are the best wheel i've used, run so smooth and are very fast. weight is not bad either and spokes are repairable. what more can you want?

glad you got the brakes all sorted out. it could be the pads do not like the rims from your old wheel.
Brakes are working well. The pulsing issue with DT wheels / Black Prince pads still mystifies me; the engineer in me wants to understand! I did not try the campy pads with DT wheels - I might give that a try. Come to think of it, the pulsing was there with other wheels I tried - but always with the Black Prince pads. By the way, your post encouraged me to try again with the new wheels and pads. Thanks!

Why clinchers? They were there at the right price at the right time... I must say that apart from the unwanted weight, I can’t fault them so far.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Corima hoops are awesome but that 4-spoke didn't work with this build. The Boras finish it off beautifully.

DarkerxHalf

by DarkerxHalf

RyanH wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:20 pm
I think the jury is out still on the reliability of the Specialized powermeter. My friend has one and it's a POS but that may just be a bad sample. M3 SRM are extremely expensive. Quarq overall is good until they have water issues which seems to happen without fail after a year or two. I think they got a little heavier but my old Quarq Red compact was 520g and I think the newer ones are claimed at 550g.

Lastly, unless you want to go a step backwards in braking, skip the yellow pads. The only wheels that yellow pads work well with are Mavic, nearly every other pad will perform better than yellow on most wheels. Yellow pads were the very first carbon brake pads...why would you want to revert to those? Campy red pads seem to be a solid all around performer for many wheels.
Interesting point here regarding the Specialized power meter - Make sure it is being used with a Pioneer battery in it, from what we've been told from the Specialzed team the Pioneer is the only battery they have an exact confirmation on putting out the exact right power for the power meter.

The ones that we have setup, tested and used seem to be pretty damn good!
2002 Moots Vamoots
2018 Cannondale CAAD12 Custom (RIP)
2018 Cannondale Supersix Hi Mod (SOLD)