90s Eddy Merckx restoration and build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dilbert

by Dilbert

I have recently completed a long term project that started in 2014 when I came accross a 90s Alu Team frame in Lotto/Domo colours (or close to). It hung in a store room that had to be accesed via the fire escape.

The frame had never been built, but it had some scratches and chips from storage and it did not have a fork. I bought it for the equivalent of €233.

I still had some older components on the shelf, and kept an eye on the www for the outstanding parts.

I managed to buy a set of wheels with Record (36 hole) hubs and blue anodized Ambrosio Giro dItalia rims, and a 1" carbon fork. (Im not sure if frames with a 1" headset ever came out with a carbon fork)

I did not want to fit a quil stem to a carbon steerer, and decided to improvise with a Thomson stem and a carbon bar I had.

The leavers needed some restoration, and I had the bar and stem sprayed silver (it came out a bit more Ti coloured, but looks ok)

The fork was sanded down and painted to match the frame. The frame also got touched up, Lotto/Domo logos were added and then clear coated.

All in all Im happy with the overall result - it draws a lot of attention and the occasional compliment when rolling around the Cape peninsula :)

It weighs 8.4 kg as shown. Im still looking for some appropriate bottle cages - some tubular ti would be ideal.
Last edited by Dilbert on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

Old school paint job also be more colorful than what is new today!

by Weenie

jbaillie

by jbaillie

So nice - those frames are timeless.

nestornnk

by nestornnk

That is a great looking bike.
The painter did a perfect job with that fork.

Enjoy it

micky

by micky

Please put on some tan sided tires!

Dilbert

by Dilbert

^ I will consider that
🤔
I dont like the look of tan sides on most mountain bikes, but I like the idea on a classic road bike.
(I also have a set of tubular wheels, I will ask the bike to pose for a few pics wearing them 😉)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

wow, great restoration. did you paint everything yourself? if so, you have excellent skills.

by Weenie