Cervélo R3 6,2kg by Nozes: WW on a budget (final build pg.3)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Rudi

by Rudi

Think you've probably hit the same place as I have, in that trying to save more weight without spending a lot of cash is becoming harder.

The obvious question is have you cut down the seatpost as much as possible? I have what looks like the same or similar post down to 135g, but obviously that is height dependant. Edit: Mine was 2.7g per cm cut: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141982

You've changed the outer ring, what about a lighter inner ring?

Handlebars, I've got a carbon set (generic carbon) at 177g for a 400m width, that was probably 50-75 Euro.

What top cap have you got? Mt Zoom or similar on e-bay are 5g and not expensive.

Only other thing (but might not look great) is that there is an R3SL fork that was lighter than the standard R3 fork, but I have no idea if they become available on ebay or anything like that.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Nozes

by Nozes

Thanks @Rudi for your suggestions.

I've thought about cutting the seatpost,but I've got only about 4cm to play with,so by your math about 11gr savings...well,better than nothing,right?

Had a quick search on lighter inner chainrings,but seems that all are about the same weight,30gr more or less 2 grams.

Carbon bar,it's a possibility,but only from a proven brand. Depending on the price,of course. This KCNC is scandium,and went for 17€ (!) on RCZ bike shop,but I've seen some Easton SLX bars there more than once,I will keep an eye on those.

Top cap it's the only part I've got from a boutique brand,it's a Tune carbon,alu bolt,4gr.

A lighter fork is not on the plans for now,but who knows!

I would love a Red cassete (11-32 weights 100gr less than Ultegra),for example. Maybe when everybody changes to 12 speed and prices on 11s drop :lol:

How about this bus stop graffiti a few minutes from my house?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kevinch76

by Kevinch76

Nozes wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm now accepting suggestions on what to change to lower the weight without compromising reliability and the overall point of this build.

I have a Uno stem on the way that will save around 10gr,and would like to find a cheap Red FD. Apart from that,tried a copy of Selle Italia's Tekno (130gr),but it was super rigid,no flex at all,and took it away imediately.
Can't really figure out where to cut weight with little money and substancial weight savings,but eventually all projects come to this point.

NICE BIKE! love it

StanK

by StanK

Yes, impossible to cut down some significant weight without significant amount of money at this point.
Looking at part list, maybe 2 or 3 things.

Brake pads? For example Swissstop that came with my brakes was 11g heavier than Shimano. I don't know what you have now, so maybe ...
Bar tape? If you ride mostly on hoods (like I do) you could save some 10g with less overlapping (and maybe little lighter tape). And still have enough comfort where is needed.
Bottle cage? I saw people to buy (cheap) chinese copy of Bontrager XXX, and with alu bolts there could be some 6-7g savings. Not much, but :)

Btw. you don't use any kind of cyclo comp? Very rare.

Nozes

by Nozes

Thanks for your ideas!

The brake pads came with the brakes, I have no idea what brand they are but they work really good, and the weight of the complete brakeset is as advertised, so maybe they are stock.

Bar tape is Deda Traforato,one of the lightest there is, so can't really cut much there. I ride gloveless for most of the summer,and aprecciate the relative confort of this tape.

Bottle cage, I really like these titanium ones. 23gr,super durable and I'm yet to lose a bottle, even with 800ml no problems at all. I'll keep an eye on some lighter cages.

After about 25 years using ciclo computers, I am now enjoying the freedom of not using one. From time to time I'll use my Garmin Edge 20 (25gr!) to follow a track, or record the ride if I don't want to use the phone.

Next week some new pedals should arrive, the Xpedo Thrust 7. I wanted new road shoes, and choose Mavic Ksyrium II, but unfortunately they don't work with spd type cleats, so I'll be changing the Ritchey Pro Micro for the Xpedos...gaining 25 grams on the pedals, but saving about 300gr on the shoes (I use Adidas mtb shoes on this bike).

Stay tuned.

Enviado do meu G3311 através do Tapatalk

Nozes

by Nozes

Little by little, 10 grams or less at a time, is the "WW on a budget" way. Not always super satisfying, but fun anyway.

New Mavic Aksium II shoes

Uno stem, graphics erased with acetone, black ti bolts

Those shoes will go on these Xpedo Thrust 7.

While I was writing this, the mail man knocked on the door and this showed up!

On the way are 2 J&l derailleur jockey wheels. More on that later.

Enviado do meu G3311 através do Tapatalk

COSTA

by COSTA

Looking good! nice saving on the cable outters

Nozes

by Nozes

Thanks!

Sorry about the sideways pictures.

There's always something worth looking a second time,like the derailleur pulleys. I had searched before for carbon plates for SRAM Wi-Fly only to discover that only 3 or 4 grams can be saved over the stock alu plate. Reading the very interesting "no carbon WW build" thread from @2lo8 I found the J&L pulleys. Ceramic,half the weight from stock,26€ shipped. Great.

With the new front derailleur (nice 20gr saving there,bought used for 40€) and waiting now for new bottle cages and derailleur pulleys,build is at 6420 grams,but the new pedals will put it on 6440 again. Still haven't cut the seatpost,maybe next week.

Now I need help with the BB. Can I remove the plastic sleeve without causing trouble? I read somewhere that it enables the bearings to stay perfectly aligned on the frame,but theres plenty of people here that don't use it,apparently without issues. R3 owners,anybody out there?

Rudi

by Rudi

Is it a hard plastic sleeve?

When I had some Di2 issues and it needed the BB removed to get the the b junction, it came back with a clear, flexible segmented hose type thing that I'm sure wasn't what was in there before. I don't have the other part to weigh, but I can weigh this thing later when I get home for comparison (bike is in parts at the moment).

I doubt bearing alignment is the issue, more that water and dirt do get into frames over time and this keeps that from getting onto the spindle and into the bearings. That is my guess though, not a statement of fact.

Rudi

by Rudi

Not sure what this is, but it is slightly rubbery in nature and 6g. I also don't know what the hard plastic sleeves that are normally in the BB weigh as a comparison.

ImageIMG_0485

Nozes

by Nozes

Thanks.

It's the standard plastic version,like this:

It was already on the frame when I bought it, so I didn't had the chance to weight it.
Giving it a 2nd thought,I'll leave it alone. Reducing bearing life and maybe getting creaks from that area makes me not want to risk it for little weight savings.

Too much time in my hands at the moment (recovering from cirurgy) makes me look into details more than I should, I guess.

Nozes

by Nozes

Nice little weight saving with the J&l ceramic pulleys.

J&L plastic pulleys/ceramic bearings.
These things spin like crazy,let's hope they shift well and last forever (ok, a couple years/5000km would be nice :))

Stock SRAM Rival pulleys.

Bonus sideways picture of SRAM Rival 22 Wifli aluminium cage.
Carbon cage would only save about 3 grams.

Nozes

by Nozes

Happy days! 6320 grams as shown. New cassete (-74gr) and seatpost (-29gr).

The cassete is the new ZTTO SLR 11s in 11-32. 5 aluminium cogs,6 steel.

I'm not expecting too much in performance or durability,but for 59€ shipped I will surely won't regret it.

One thing bothering me it's the pedals. Xpedo has aftermarket titanium axles for just about every pedal in their line except the Thrust 7.
Yes,I could go the Speedplay Zero route and lose 90 grams easily,but I'm sticking with these,I love the smoothness of the bearings (3 per side).

reedplayer

by reedplayer

i was not aware, that brake housing can save so much weight!
please keep us updated concerning the performance of the ZTTO-Cassette (never heard of it!)

bike looks great, imo so much better than the current gen. of r-serie-frames with this super-massive downtube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nozes

by Nozes

Thanks!

It will be a while before I can give a proper opinion on the new cassete, as I'm still (slowly) recovering from surgery and probably won't ride before June.

Searching for ways to drop some weight while maintaining the goal of this build has been fun,if I had the resources I would love to build a sub-5kg bike, but the challenge of being a WW on a budget is even greater, I guess.