Cervélo R3 6,2kg by Nozes: WW on a budget (final build pg.3)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nozes

by Nozes

Hello from Portugal!

Like many others,I've been around for some time but only now have something worth sharing.
I'm mainly a mountain biker,but love a nice ride on the calm mountain roads just a few minutes away from my home. This is my 4th road bike,I bought the frame used and changed most of the parts from it's predecessor,a 2009 Scott CR1 (7,1kg) that I've also built myself a few years back.

The goal with this build is to balance light weight,no-nonsense cost,reliability and non-flashy spec. Apart from the frame,you won't find any true high-end components or boutique carbon. At the moment,this build is 6530 grams and under 2000€.

On to the spec list:

Frame Cervélo R3 2014 51cm (+BB) 1065
Fork 3T for Cervélo 377
hanger Cervélo
Headset FSA 45
seatpost clamp Cervélo 15
Seatpost Generic carbon 27,2x350mm 141
Seat GUB 1158 150
Stem KCNC Fly Ride 100mm + ti bolts 100
Bar KCNC SC Force 440mm 218
Bartape Deda Traforato 40
Bottle cage Lifeline titanium 22
Outer Cables Shifting generic alu links/Braking SRAM 150*
Inner Cables Steel (included in housing)
Brakes Planet X CNC 215
Front derailleur Shimano 5800,ti bolt 87
Rear derailleur SRAM Rival 22 wifli (ti cable bolt) 192
Crankset Rotor 3D30 172,5mm 670
Bottom Bracket SRAM PF30
Chainrings Rotor NoQ 34-50
Chainring bolts Rotor
Chain PYC 1101 215
Shifters SRAM Rival 22 325
Cassette Shimano Ultegra 11-32 284
Wheels: Novatec Sprint clincher TLR (+tape and valves) 1420
hubs Novatec
Spokes Novatec
Rims Novatec
Inntertubes Joe's No flat's sealant  50
Tires Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 23mm  488
Pedals Ritchey Pro Road Micro 210
Skewers J&L titanium 31
Other 20

*tbc.

Right now,I'm trying to get rid of the 40gr that don't allow the scale to read 6,49kg. I have some aluminum brake housing to change the stock SRAM,but perhaps it's not enough,will see.

Opinions and questions,go ahead!

Cheers!
Last edited by Nozes on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

If you were willing to run an 11-28 cassette there are a few makes that will save a bunch of grams vs. the 11-32 Ultegra block. Already a great build though. That R3 is a nice canvas to start with - smart looking bike.

by Weenie

Nozes

by Nozes

Thanks.

I've got the 11-32 for some time now,I've always been more a spinner and since I broke the tibia plateau on a mtb crash 3 years ago my power is even less than before. Oh,and I'm turning 44 next month so...yeah. :)

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Great build, everything is coherent, I'm re-building my friend's bike with the same approach, Rival and Rotor* component. Same as you, he prefer to spin so Rotor Vegast and 46-30 spidering. 11-28 or 11-32 cassette.

*good article from a ww member about the story behind the mecanic of this components: https://2lo8.wordpress.com/my-non-carbon-bike-6-7kg/

Nozes

by Nozes

115cm of aluminium brake housing,5€ from Aliexpress.

Having used Niro Glide shifting housing before with not so great performance, I'm a bit apreensive, but at this price, it's worth trying.

More on this during this week.

JoO

by JoO

does that aluminium brake housing actually work?
I Tried Fasi alluminium brake housing. Took it off after one ride it had so much compression it was unsafe to use.
(use i-links now)

StanK

by StanK

Did you weigh whole bike? Just the sum of mentioned parts is some 300g more than stated :?
I'm just comparing with mine, more or less same weight of parts (with some recent changes), but that is not 6,5kg bike. Not yet.

Btw interesting looking bike. Especially with that light grey(ish) colour :thumbup:

Nozes

by Nozes

JoO wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:15 pm
does that aluminium brake housing actually work?
I haven't tried it yet, and to be honest I'm not expecting much. But for the price and the potencial weight savings, it's worth trying.
Niro-Glide shifting housing worked OK for a while, but seemed to become "soft" with use.
If this doesn't work,maybe I will try I-links too.

Nozes

by Nozes

StanK wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:53 pm
Did you weigh whole bike? Just the sum of mentioned parts is some 300g more than stated :?
I'm just comparing with mine, more or less same weight of parts (with some recent changes), but that is not 6,5kg bike. Not yet.

Btw interesting looking bike. Especially with that light grey(ish) colour :thumbup:
Hello Stank,

Yes, I've weighted it, more than once, on more than one scale.
I took the weights from my Excel spreadsheet, it's all confirmed by me except the housing and cables.

Somethings wrong with your math (or mine! ), because I've just double checked and it adds up to the weight I've posted, 6530gr.

Thanks!

StanK

by StanK

Yes, sorry, my bad :oops: :)
Obviously I hit wrong number somewhere or ended up with wrong sum on my bike. Mine would be cca. 50g more when I make all changes that I plan to in next 2-3 weeks. So, it's interesting to me to compare stuff with others in that weight range.

Nozes

by Nozes

A weightweenie's work is never completed :)

Finally reached the sub-6,5kg,with two minor changes:

3 pieces of brake housing,the longest two sections are SRAM and Shimano standard,the shortest generic aluminium from Aliexpress.

Generic aluminium links+plastic inner sleave (17€ for 1900mm!)
Sorry,didn't measure the lenght.

How much weight can be saved on brake housing? I've searched for days but come to little to no conclusion. As I said above,I got the aluminium housing,but was a bit apreensive to use it,so I just tried it on the shortest section for the rear brake. It didn't present any problem,but the old thoughts of Niro-Glide shifting housing performing poorly kept coming to my mind,so I went again searching for some cheap link housing...and I've found it :)
After the first ride (https://www.strava.com/activities/2102668378) with plenty of steep descents I'm very happy with the feeling from the new housing,and obviously with the weight savings.

The other change was planned for a long time:

Rotor NoQ 50 110bcd chainring

TA Specialites Syrius 48 bcd 110

Yeah my watts aren't what they use to be,so for me and where I plan to ride my bike the 48t suits me just fine.

The total weight is now 6,46kg.
But the quest goes on,even if only 10gr at a time.

A picture of what's like to ride at 5pm in winter last friday here in Santarém (Portugal).
Wishing a great week to everyone on WW forum!
Last edited by Nozes on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I'll start building a budget bike soon and I really like the cable housing idea (the link one)
Are you planning to use them for shifting too?

Nozes

by Nozes

I already use it, it's easier to find on Aliexpress, and cheaper too. 12€ for 1800mm.

Enviado do meu G3311 através do Tapatalk

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

On the complete bike photos it looked like you only used them for braking, sorry.
I found it. Huge baragin it seems like :)

Nozes

by Nozes

I'm now accepting suggestions on what to change to lower the weight without compromising reliability and the overall point of this build.

I have a Uno stem on the way that will save around 10gr,and would like to find a cheap Red FD. Apart from that,tried a copy of Selle Italia's Tekno (130gr),but it was super rigid,no flex at all,and took it away imediately.
Can't really figure out where to cut weight with little money and substancial weight savings,but eventually all projects come to this point.

by Weenie