6.4kg 1999 Klein Quantum

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

InKlein

by InKlein

I've been lurking here long enough, so here's a build on a slightly older bike, 300 dollar craigslist buy.

Picture from the craigslist ad.

I never weighed it in completely factory form but lets just say it was over 10kg as pictured.

This would be how I rode it for the first time other than around the block for fun. Started as a triple and took the small ring off to make it a 52/42 as the area in of Nebraksa I am in is very flat.

The reason for picking up this bike was a riding partner bought one new in 1999 and always told stories of it but never brought it out in daylight, til now. He had a spare quill laying around and a power saddle went on with a different bottle cage along with speedplays from the factory Icons.

Jumping ahead, I enjoyed the frameset enough to upgrade it to campy chorus and some 3t parts, the rear bottle setup is because on a 53cm the rear bottle goes a bit high and brushes my calves on occasion. Forgive the green tune skewers as they are all that were laying around for spare parts.

It was at this point that I realized might as well start cutting weight on the bike for fun, in the picture above it was right around 8kg with the repair bag stuffed.

The main issue with the weight was bar tape(Fabric Silicone) wheels/tires(SuperTeam 38s ~1520g Corsa G+ 25mm) and the factory fork(900+G with stem adapter).

Here it is with a columbus minimal fork/ritchey wcs headset/K Uno stealth stem that brought it down to about 7.5kg.

A small time out in the build for some other Kleins I was working on.

The bike ended up with a Parlee 25mm offset post to run a carbon railed saddle, I modified an extra lite expander plug to fit 1" steerer, Extralite Stem Cap, Alpitude Cages and garmin mount, a Pro Stealth saddle at this point.

Here it is with some ebay sapim/chosen 38 tubs with veloflex carbons, hyperlite stem, deda perforated tape(26g with plugs installed vs Fabric Silicone that was ~140g), J&L spindle(50mm)/bolt/butterfly speedplays(139g)

Then here is my "aero" boat anchor when not riding the Klein.

Current build list:
53cm 1999 Klein Quantum Triple

Pro Stealth Carbon 142mm
Parlee Seat post 31.6 with 25 setback Uncut
Fairwheel Carbon Post Clamp, turned down TI bolt to fit

Cockpit-
3T SuperErgo Team 38cm(186g)
90mm Hyperlite 12 Degree(73g)
Extralite expansion plug
Extralite topcap
Deda Perforated(26g installed)
Minimalist 1" carbon fork bare(340g uncunt down to 320g cut)
Ritchey WCS Headset(with 1 1/8" shim 103g)

Groupset-
Campy Chorus II bolt tuned except for Ciamillo -G brakes/DA 11-25 Cassette/KMC EL11 Chain/HSC Carbon Jockey Wheels

Pedals-
Tuned Speedplays to 139g.

Wheels-
China Carbon 38x23 Sapim CX-Ray and Chosen Hubs(1190G)
Veloflex Carbons (257 and 258g)
ExtraLite Streeters (28g)

Alpitude Ultra Carbon matte cages
Alpitude Stelvio Garmin mount(Required a new m4 bolt and turned down piece of aluminum as a bushing to fit the hyperlite stem)

The Klein is currently down(winter yay...) for some different brakes and Nokon cable system to hit ~ 6.3kg. End goal is for Darimo T2 Post/Berk Dila and possibly a THM Clavicula or SR crankset depending and SR Shifters/mechs. Thanks for reading and if you have any questions/requests on weights or photos/details just let me know.

velov

by velov

Fantastic build! The frame certainly deserves all the upgrades...
How would you charactrize the ride in comparison to a more modern frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

InKlein

by InKlein

Thanks! The ride is very responsive with power and steering. 53cm and smaller Kleins had a 47mm rake fork, the minimal is a 45mm so it's a little different. When first getting the bike coming from a Venge figured the bike would have a sluggish or soft feel which it does not at all. The factory seatpost definitely had a harsher feeling than the 3t and the Parlee. I hope to run the bike in a crit and or road race come spring/summer if everything works out. When researching the bike there are some posts out there about the Klein being too stiff, which the same has been said about Venges by people. Personally coming from an sl4 roubaix to a venge I prefer a stiffer frameset.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Great build. I like to see how you have resurrected a true classic (well, it is to me anyway). Back in the day Klein was really really cool and your Quantum certainly deserves the upgrades you have made.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Great build. I’ve got s friend who had one, and was able to keep riding it for years, after putting s big ol’ dent in the downtube. Enjoy putting some quality miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Love these old Kleins. I have an old base model Pulse in the garage that I bought new in the late 90s. I'll never part with it.

The purple fade Quantum frame you have is stunning, that's the color scheme on the Adroit that I lusted after as a teenager. I don't recall seeing the light blue scheme, it's quite unique.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. I remember when the Klein Stage came out. It was the first large-diameter race bike in a world dominated by brazed-lug Columbus SL and Reynolds 531 rides. I always wanted one, but never got one. I love the 'Klein Blue'.

InKlein

by InKlein

Thanks for all the kind comments, the original plan was just to have it as a back up bike if something broke on my venge or bad weather. It quickly became a go to bike and has been a lot of fun with some PR's/top10s/a couple crowns.
Don't worry the very next morning I serviced the bottom bracket and hubs before taking it out. I'll get some front end shots of the bike once I've finished running nokons with the new brakes.

Here it is with the purple quantum(6'8" rider on 61cm frame)

jbaillie

by jbaillie

These kinds of threads are why I love WW - that 20 year old frame now looks better than most bikes at your local crit. Absolutely love what you've done with it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed. Some frames kind of just become timeless. This is one. I remember when a friend got the Quantum Pro (same color as in here). Fat tubes, etc. just made a larger frame look right.
Now, about that saddle jammed forward on the turkey gobbler seatpost... I know he’s tall, but there’s got to be a better way.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

InKlein

by InKlein

Lmao yeah he's special in that aspect, says its comfortable and loves that seatpost as he has one in a Tarmac. Rides exceptionally heavy in the saddle and is a new rider/not very aware of things I.E hits shit all the time in the road, bumps, rocks, holes...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Thanks for posting. I have the same frame in blue but bigger. I need to put new wheels. It is a timeless bike.

It needs silver spoked wheels though. Still a lovely frame.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

That’s quite the transformation, bike looks great, it wouldn’t look far out of place on sale now!

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Favourite bike on the forum.

LouisN

by LouisN

Talk about extreme weather bike :shock: .
Agreed on the comments about how these old Klein's quality ressucitations are so refreshing to see :beerchug:
Bravo!
Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com