Hello, I'm new! Picked up a new bike, Allez Sprint Disc and will be recording the build on this thread.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

Like I said, I'm new here, this is my first post. Pleased to meet you!

Anyway, I picked up a new Specialized Allez Sprint Disc today. It's the complete bike (only way I could get one all black and also, I can ride a prebuilt bike while I sub out parts!). I didn't weigh it but I would estimate starting weight to be in the neighborhood of 8.5kg (she's chunky!).
Well, this will be a bit of a "baller on a budget build" as I don't want to get divorced but I think I can get this thing down to 7.25kg without breaking the bank.

The current stock set up includes Shimano's R7020 groupset, some shitty DT swiss alloy wheels and a praxis, allow crankset as well as full alloy cockpit.

I have on order, Roval CL50 wheels, a Zipp Cockpit with the SL Sprint stem (110mm) and SL 70 aero bars as well as a SRAM etap group set. I have also swapped the saddle for a Specialized Power Pro. Crankset will eventually be Easton SL 90. I haven't looked into what I'm going to do for rotors and cassette yet.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments
Allez Sprint Disc, day one...
Allez Sprint Disc, day one...

73Bronco

by 73Bronco

Congrats on the new ride and looking forward to build up!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

Took the bike out on a shakedown spin today and swung by the shop for a weigh in on the way home. The bike is great, extremely stiff and very aero, even with the low end stock wheels. She is heavier than I had guessed, weighing in at a whopping 9.25kg!!! Yikes! That weight is with one bottle cage, my Zipp Sprint SL stem that I threw on (fork is not cut yet) and my Power Pro Elaston saddle with "road bandit" (spare tube, CO2, lever) and my Garmin + mount. The road bandit is a bit chunky, if I take that off I lose 300g right away.

My investigation found that there's a bunch of heavy stuff on the bike. The 105 r7020 group isn't that bad but they snuck a lot of lower cost, heavy stuff in like the cranks, wheels (hubs in particular) and even the chain. I'll get the spreadsheet filled out soon enough but I'm fairly confident I can get to my sub 7.25kg goal without too much trouble.

Roval CL50 disc wheels, eTap HRD group, Zipp SL70 Aero bars and Easton ec90SL crankset have all been ordered and are en route. This thing is going on a serious diet!
Attachments
YoZ7ah5mRt+b7jjk57IO+g.jpg

JScycle

by JScycle

I'm super excited for this! Please take lots of photos for us and weigh everything

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

Put the Easton EC90 SL crankset on today. New weight is 9.04kg so I shaved off 210g with just new cranks and chainrings. Not bad! All in all, these cranks ended up not being a grat fit for this frame. It has a 68mm BB width and the cranks measure 92.6mm across at the spindle so I had to put a ton of spacers in there. I ended up having to screw around with migrating spacers from one side of the BB to the other a bunch to get the chainline right.

As of now, my additions are:
Zipp SL Sprint Stem (120mm)
Easton EC90 SL crankset & rings
Specialized Power Pro saddle with Elaston (will be swapping this with my non-elaston version soon)

Arriving of the course of the next week:
Specialized CL50 wheelset
CS-8000 cassette 11-28t
Easton E100 handlebars 42cm
DA RT900 Rotors 140mm & 160mm
Vitoria Corsa Speed tubeless tires
KMC X11SL Chain
Supacaz Tron carbon bottle cages
Supacaz super sticky kush bar tape

I have decided to wait on throwing an eTap group on until the 12 speed version come out. Also, partly because I'm just really impressed at how well the stock 105 (7000 series) group is performing. The shifts are fantastic and the braking is as good as any I've ever used.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 10.55.50 PM.png

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

Ok, a few new additions.

Got the Easton E100 bars, swapped power pro elaston for my regular power pro saddle, Roval CL 50 wheelset, Vittoria Speed Corsa tires (forgot to get extra long tubeless valve stems so tires are uninflated), KMC X11SL chain, DA 9100 FD, DA SM-RT900 rotors (140mm F, 160mm R) and an Ultegra R8000 cassette 11-32 because I weigh 85kg and we have some steep ass hills here!

All in all, coming along nicely! I'm gonna wait on swapping the group until spring. I want to see what the new Sram 12sp eTap is like and I may just go with mechanical DA. DA front derailluer was for better function btw. With the large Q factor of the easton cranks I was having a hard time adjust the stock 105 FD to work right. DA plays a little nicer and has better tolerances.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 3.25.33 PM.png

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

Ok, here she is, kinda finished? For now?

A couple notes:

The Supacaz Tron Carbon bottle cages are really nice. Not an ultralight cage, 21g when I measured but the function better than any carbon cages I've used in the past as in, they grip a bottle well, all bottles seem to fit and the release when you want them to.

Vittoria Corsa Speed tires do not play well with Roval CL50s. Well, they do not set up tubeless well... or at all. I heard horror stories of how hard these tires are to get on. That was not my experience. It probably took less than 30 seconds for me to roll the second bead on with hands only, extremley easy. Too easy. I tried to set the bead using my shop's air compressor and there was just no chance of it working without using a whole roll of stans. I just want to ride this thing so I threw some butyl tubes in. I may try tubeless again with a diferent tire but I've done enough tubeless conversions to know when to walk away.

Final weight for now: 7.70kg Not bad! In the spring when I swap drive trains, whether it's eTap or DA I should get down to 7kg!

I'll do a little imgr gallery photo shoot and a full parts breakdown in a day or two. Thanks for reading!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 6.40.35 PM.png

jbaillie

by jbaillie

The Supacaz and the gold chain go together so nicely

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Overall, a nice build. I guess you could cut the fork and ditch the corresponding spacers for some free weight loss, in the interim.

Rktprov

by Rktprov

Congratulations on the Allez, that's an awesome looking bike! I have to ask, is that frame painted or just annondized, it kind of looks too bumpy to be paint, but that could just be the image. If it is annodized, has it been a pain to keep clean, some matte black annodized parts show dirt very rapidly.

Finally, what size is it and how tall are you?

Thanks and I look forward to your future posts!

integration

by integration

Wow, looking very nice!

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

Rktprov wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:01 am
Congratulations on the Allez, that's an awesome looking bike! I have to ask, is that frame painted or just annondized, it kind of looks too bumpy to be paint, but that could just be the image. If it is annodized, has it been a pain to keep clean, some matte black annodized parts show dirt very rapidly.

Finally, what size is it and how tall are you?

Thanks and I look forward to your future posts!
Thanks! It is a matte texture paint and the light color parts (Specialized logo, etc.) are made from a relfective tape.

The bike is a 54cm with a 120mm stem and I am a hair under 5'9" (174cm)

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

dang3rtown wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:50 am

Vittoria Corsa Speed tires do not play well with Roval CL50s. Well, they do not set up tubeless well... or at all. I heard horror stories of how hard these tires are to get on. That was not my experience. It probably took less than 30 seconds for me to roll the second bead on with hands only, extremley easy. Too easy. I tried to set the bead using my shop's air compressor and there was just no chance of it working without using a whole roll of stans. I just want to ride this thing so I threw some butyl tubes in. I may try tubeless again with a diferent tire but I've done enough tubeless conversions to know when to walk away.
Great build... commenting, so I can see updaes how this plays out in the long term.

regarding the Corsa Speeds, you're better off they dnd't work out. They are NOT a tire for everyday riding, it is a TT tire. It amazes me how many people I see on this board attempting to run these tires. I think they see the weight and the fact that their tubeless ready and they stop the research there. They are a TT tire designed to be run for ultimate low rolling resistance. They have ZERO flat protection and the casing is super thin... I guess some people may take comfort that tubeless will prevent flats or punctures, but in my experience that was not the case. The compound is also set up for super fast rolling and the grip is not good in the wet. There are much better tires out there that are fast, for all around riding.

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

Bike looks great. How are you liking it thus far?
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert Sl5

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevinw

by kevinw

Just about to pull the trigger on one of these myself so i'm extremely interested in this build.

Well done on geting the weight down so much - this is my main concern coming from a carbon rim brake bike.

Interesting that you have perserveered with the 105 - so I'm I correct in thinking that the main source of your dramatic weight loss is the wheels? I'm on a tighter budget than you so was thinking of going down the farsports route for wheels.

I've got a spare ultegra 6800 crankset to put on which will most likely be an improvement on the praxis.