Hello, I'm new! Picked up a new bike, Allez Sprint Disc and will be recording the build on this thread.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

How bad are the stock wheels? I weigh about the same as you and wondering if I should buy a new set of wheels right away or can wait.
How much did the stock wheels weigh?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:48 pm
regarding the Corsa Speeds, you're better off they dnd't work out. They are NOT a tire for everyday riding, it is a TT tire. It amazes me how many people I see on this board attempting to run these tires. I think they see the weight and the fact that their tubeless ready and they stop the research there. They are a TT tire designed to be run for ultimate low rolling resistance. They have ZERO flat protection and the casing is super thin... I guess some people may take comfort that tubeless will prevent flats or punctures, but in my experience that was not the case. The compound is also set up for super fast rolling and the grip is not good in the wet. There are much better tires out there that are fast, for all around riding.

Update, ran the tires with tubes, they lasted less than 500 miles. Overall, they were fun to ride but yeah, TT tires. Crazy light but they didn't even stop well. I felt like I was riding on a time bomb. I used them because I work in a bike shop and trying stuff out is paert of my job so hey, why not!

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

wolfesquire wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:00 pm
How bad are the stock wheels? I weigh about the same as you and wondering if I should buy a new set of wheels right away or can wait.
How much did the stock wheels weigh?
The stock wheels are not good. I don't remember the exact weight but they are north of 2KG and the hubs are of poor quality. I kept them as a back up training set only because I don't think anyone would pay money for them if I tried to sell.

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

kevinw wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:57 pm
Just about to pull the trigger on one of these myself so i'm extremely interested in this build.

Well done on geting the weight down so much - this is my main concern coming from a carbon rim brake bike.

Interesting that you have perserveered with the 105 - so I'm I correct in thinking that the main source of your dramatic weight loss is the wheels? I'm on a tighter budget than you so was thinking of going down the farsports route for wheels.

I've got a spare ultegra 6800 crankset to put on which will most likely be an improvement on the praxis.
The main sources of weight loss was the wheels and the crankset. The wheelset saved me around 800g in total between wheels, cassette and tires and the cranks around 300g.

I've gotta say, the new 7000 series 105 has been fantastic! The only reason I will cxhange in the future will be to go with an electronic groupset.

cnynrpr

by cnynrpr

dang3rtown wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:07 am
Put the Easton EC90 SL crankset on today. New weight is 9.04kg so I shaved off 210g with just new cranks and chainrings. Not bad! All in all, these cranks ended up not being a grat fit for this frame. It has a 68mm BB width and the cranks measure 92.6mm across at the spindle so I had to put a ton of spacers in there. I ended up having to screw around with migrating spacers from one side of the BB to the other a bunch to get the chainline right.

As of now, my additions are:
Zipp SL Sprint Stem (120mm)
Easton EC90 SL crankset & rings
Specialized Power Pro saddle with Elaston (will be swapping this with my non-elaston version soon)

Arriving of the course of the next week:
Specialized CL50 wheelset
CS-8000 cassette 11-28t
Easton E100 handlebars 42cm
DA RT900 Rotors 140mm & 160mm
Vitoria Corsa Speed tubeless tires
KMC X11SL Chain
Supacaz Tron carbon bottle cages
Supacaz super sticky kush bar tape

I have decided to wait on throwing an eTap group on until the 12 speed version come out. Also, partly because I'm just really impressed at how well the stock 105 (7000 series) group is performing. The shifts are fantastic and the braking is as good as any I've ever used.
I'm installing the same setup with the EC90 SL crank. I've got the Easton BB30 spacer kit that has 2x1mm thin spacers and 2x11mm spacers. How many spacers did you end up using? It doesn't seem like 1 set of the spacers is enough.

Does your frame have a BB bearing dust cover?