Tantan GR030 Gravel Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Frisco

by Frisco

I didn't measure the seatpost before I cut it and don't know the total length.

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

Pretty cool project!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robertsaarela

by Robertsaarela

Looks awesome
Still riding the bike?

What are your thougts?
Are you riding gravel only, or do ride it as a road bike to?

Frisco

by Frisco

I have a bit over 3000 miles on it and have no issues. I have been road commuting on it 3-4 days/week, plus weekend rides either on roads or gravel/trails under 30mi. I actually don’t ride my road bike as much and prefer to ride this.

I just replaced the first set of pads with swissstop RS, and my rear tire has almost worn through the center set of knobs. I think I have punctured 4-6 times, but the tires have sealed fine and otherwise have had no issues with leaks. I have a GK SK plus 38 tire for the rear when I replace it.

Di2 is really, really very nice. I have gotten used to the relatively big cassette jumps and the subcompact crank, and I appreciate having the wide gearing range on the trails. I typically average 18-19mph commuting on the road and pretty much leave the bike on the big ring until I go to climb up a trail. Im not the strongest nor fastest, and I do not do group rides or races. it’s nice to be able to spin under 1:1 instead of running out of gears or hammering my knees, even if it’s at 3mph.

With a front derailleur there is no room for bigger tires, but I recall they indicated a spec of 40 or 43 tires. if you want big tires be sure to consider that a derailleur could limit you.

I do wish the bike had a place to keep a tool bottle down near the derailleur, as well as additional frame bosses so I could add a couple bags without needing straps. I am not bike packing, but I would like to be able to commute without a backpack and have modular expandable space to carry more if I want.

If I was to get a new frame it would currently be the Routt YBB because I would like to try that rear suspension. But that’s not within my budget for now. I’m not up on the latest open mold frames, but the last time I looked Carbonda had a decent looking grave frame that I thought might be worth considering.

Robertsaarela

by Robertsaarela

Frisco wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:33 pm
With a front derailleur there is no room for bigger tires, but I recall they indicated a spec of 40 or 43 tires. if you want big tires be sure to consider that a derailleur could limit you.
If I was to get a new frame it would currently be the Routt YBB because I would like to try that rear suspension. But that’s not within my budget for now. I’m not up on the latest open mold frames, but the last time I looked Carbonda had a decent looking grave frame that I thought might be worth considering.
1. on 650b wheels?

2 I guess the Carbonda you talk about is the CFR505? In that case I think your frame looks way better, more aggressive (that I like)

Frisco

by Frisco

No the carbonda was the 696. My wheels are 700x38 - I don’t have 650b

Frisco

by Frisco

Also

ImageImageImageImageImage

Point

by Point

Wow those trails are spectacular!
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

sOKRATEs100

by sOKRATEs100

@frisco/Robertsaarela:

Built mine GR030 as a road bike and cyclecross bike even with the possibility to add luggage.

Bought a Yoeleo wheelset (https://www.yoeleobike.com/carbon-fiber ... db-sl.html) with 50mm depth front and 60mm depth rear. Lookwise they are awsome! But I'm not happy with them in terms of smooth running. I can ride them good, but when having a look at them when not cycling by just spinning them they are "off tune" quite a bit. :?

Running the wheels with GP 5000 TL 25mm front and 28m back.

Run a SRAM Force 1 drivetrain with 50 front and 11-36 back (aero wheelset) and 11-42 (gravel wheelset).

Aero handlebar in use (https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32835289 ... 4c4dZwEMxV).

Second wheelset for gravel in combination with 35mm Schwalbe G-One (https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32955807 ... 4c4dqZ2NEc).
pic1.png
(with second wheelset)
pic7.png
(with second wheelset)

pic2.jpg
(with aero wheelset)

pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic8.png
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
Had really issued with fixing the seat post AND the saddle (https://www.conrad.de/de/p/pattex-pxmt2 ... 13545.html helped for fixing the seat post and small coca-cola aluminium pieces helped to stop the saddle sliding back again and again). So those both constructions I definitly don't like with this frame!

Twowheeler

by Twowheeler

Hi @Frisco and @sOKRATEs100

I've had the same frameset (Angle Cycle 338, Workswell WCB-R-125) with "D" seatpost since 2018. Just tonight the seatpost broke from tightening the vertical seat clamp bolt. I realize now what a poor design it is, having the bolt abut against carbon fibre. The bolt head just worked it's way right through the seatpost. Would a simple washer provide enough area to stop this from happening again? Part of the problem was the seat would work it's way back within the seat clamp and I'd end up with my seat way too far back. So I'd tighten the seat screws down more to stop the seat from sliding. I'm going to have to gry and get another seatpost, but could either of you share your modifications to this setup to make it work? Cheers.
Attachments
IMG_20200510_115308.jpg
IMG_20200510_115316.jpg
IMG_20200510_115320.jpg

sOKRATEs100

by sOKRATEs100

Hi Twowheeler,

had exactly the same thing happening on my side. Luckily I noticed the bolt working through the carbon quite early and made use of a washer. So this seems to work now.

However, I ended up in buying another seat post for 50 USD. Working there as well with a washer.

As descriped above my SQlab Sattel 612 Ergowave Carbon (https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/sadd ... arbon.html) seems to be fixed now and no longer moving (carbon assembly paste didnt work) with pieces aluminium from a coca-cola bottle.

Cheers.

Twowheeler

by Twowheeler

sOKRATEs100 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:44 pm
Hi Twowheeler,

had exactly the same thing happening on my side. Luckily I noticed the bolt working through the carbon quite early and made use of a washer. So this seems to work now.

However, I ended up in buying another seat post for 50 USD. Working there as well with a washer.

As descriped above my SQlab Sattel 612 Ergowave Carbon (https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/sadd ... arbon.html) seems to be fixed now and no longer moving (carbon assembly paste didnt work) with pieces aluminium from a coca-cola bottle.

Cheers.
Thanks for the information sOKRATEs.

I understand that you fixed you SQlab saddle problem with a coke can. Was you saddle sliding back in the seat clamp rails? or was the seatpost sliding down the seattube? I'm just tyring to visualize how you fixed your issue.

sOKRATEs100

by sOKRATEs100

You are welcome! :-)

Both.

Saddle sliding back fixed via coke can.
Seat post sliding down with carbon assembly paste. Put it on the metal piece which get spread with the screw. I put a piece of 1x1cm https://www.conrad.de/de/p/pattex-pxmt2 ... 13545.html on the opposite side of the seat post.

Twowheeler

by Twowheeler

sOKRATEs100 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:10 pm
You are welcome! :-)

Both.

Saddle sliding back fixed via coke can.
Seat post sliding down with carbon assembly paste. Put it on the metal piece which get spread with the screw. I put a piece of 1x1cm https://www.conrad.de/de/p/pattex-pxmt2 ... 13545.html on the opposite side of the seat post.
ok sOKRATEs - You'll have to describe to me how you use a coke can to fix the seat sliding back. I'm imagining a couple different scenarios but a picture would be worth a thousand words... or just a description of where the pieces of can were put. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roddy

by Roddy

Hi everyone!

I just love the way your bikes look! I have a few questions as I really want to build myself one of these!

[*]Having a look at the geometry it really looks like a 3T exploro. Am I correct?
[*]What BB option did you go for? I would love to have BSA cause you know... BSA... If you went for press-fit, did you have any problems during fitting or any clicking, cracking or any other annoying sound from the BB?
[*] By the odd chance, any of you live in Germany? did you have to pay taxes? If not, how did you avoid it (BTW, my german is terrible so please reply in English. I am studying though :smartass: )
[*] I am 1.69cm, looks like S would fit me well, any other weenie my height with this bike?
[*] Where did you guys buy it from and most importantly, would you buy it again!?

Any answer much appreciated guys! :thumbup: