The steel in my basement (per Calnago's request)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Here are some pictures of my steel machines, as requested by Calnago in the CX/Gravel forum. For whatever I cannot upload anything in that forum. I'm clearly showing my age! Anyway.....

First up is my old winter bike, a steel Hampsten Crema circa 2010. I originally had this bike built for winter riding, with long reach brakes and room for full fenders with a 700x27C tire. It is now fender-free, re-purposed as my "dry day winter bike". Currently built with Dura-Ace 7900, with an Ultegra 6700 rear derailleur and TRP long reach brakes, King HS, Enve bar, Thomson X4 stem, Masterpiece seatpost, and in this shot the wheelset is an older HED Belgium C2 on King R45, with Conti GP4000Sii 700x28C. For a touch of bling it has a C-Bear ceramic BB and derailleur pulleys. According my records, this frame and fork have almost 37K km of riding on it, most of it in crap weather. Still in good shape, but ulitmately could use a fresh paint job.
IMG_2257.jpg
Next up is my new-this-spring winter/gravel bike, a Breadwinner B-Road. Built with TRP fork, Dura-Ace 9120 hydraulic, Enve bar, Thomson X2 stem, Elite seatpost, Fizik Aliante, King HS and BB. Wheels are HED Belgium+ on King R45 centerlock hubs. First shot is after a dusty gravel ride, shod with Compass Barlow Pass Extralight 700x38C tires (measure out at 40mm).
IMG_2228.jpg
Second shot was this week, following a late day bike wash after a slightly showery Wednesday ride. Here the PDW Full Metal Fenders are installed, and I'm running some Panaracer Race A EVO Gravel tires 700x32C (nowhere as nice as the Compass Stampede Pass 700x32C).
IMG_2336.jpg
Finally, here's a shot as she left Breadwinner in the spring. I've been playing around a bit with position so the painted Enve stem was taken off, but I'm putting it back on and changing from a 44c-c bar to a 42c-c so I'm consistent across all my bikes. I used to always ride 44 c-c but the past couple years I'm liking 42 c-c. Also since it left Breadwinner I swapped back to Aliante saddles from Flites. I swap saddles all the time....but I did find the latest gen of Flites to develop sag quite quickly, plus the overall quality out of Selle Italia is down these days. Also this shot has the Compass Stampede Pass Extralight tires, such a great riding tire.
Eric Harvey Complete 002.jpg
Also likely to change is my 8-month run using Speedplay Zeros as my road pedal. I think I'm heading back to Time....where I've been since 1995. Time float just works for my beat up body.

by Weenie

Calnago

by Calnago

Those are both very nice setups. Any issues with fender mounting around the discs? Actually looks like the left fender mount on the left fork leg may be higher than on the right leg? Kinda looks that way on the rear as well but may be just an illusion or camera angle?

And I have no idea why your pics wouldn’t load to the other thread.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Calnago wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:56 pm
Those are both very nice setups. Any issues with fender mounting around the discs? Actually looks like the left fender mount on the left fork leg may be higher than on the right leg? Kinda looks that way on the rear as well but may be just an illusion or camera angle?

And I have no idea why your pics wouldn’t load to the other thread.
Those are just camera illusions, the fender mounts are symmetric from side to side. Mounting on the front is very easy as the mounts sit about the caliper and rotor. I really like this about the TRP fork design. I was concerned the bracing angle of the struts might make the front fender a bit flexy but it is rock solid. Maybe with a plastic fender this might be more of a concern. The only fender mounting niggle is just the rear fender bolt at the seatstay needs a bit of blue loctite to stay snug. That single bolt supports a lot of fender, and after a long ride on some rough chipseal I found it quite loose even though I had tightened it sufficiently.