The Fling: A #metoo Izalco Max

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

I've gotten a few rides in on the Reynolds 46 Aero and the one thing I can comment on is how impressive they are in the wind. Saturday was our typical PCH ride and it was a solid 10 mph cross wind with gusts of 20+ along the canyons. I didn't notice the wind once, everyone else was b*tching to no end about how bad the wind was. Today was even worse with 20mph winds and I'd say they felt the same as Nemesis. Seriously, if you told me the forecast for the day was horribly windy, I wouldn't be bothered to take these off and put Nemesis on. They're surreal in that respect, I've never had a wheel like this in cross winds...even Bora 35s catch more wind than these (noticeably more).

Braking is also different than my RZRs, much better, although more audible too. They're halfway between Bora braking noise and Enve NBT. Braking modulation and feel is very good though, possibly even better than Bora 35s.

I told Imaking20 that I was surprised he sold these to me, as these are probably one of the best wheels I've ridden. Paired with the Vlaanderen, they're a super versatile combo. I can run them at 65/75 for bad road/cruising days or 80/85 for fast rides on smooth tarmac. They take the edge off larger bumps that would normally sting your feet on a carbon bike (didn't quite get that sensation ever with the Ti bikes).

RyanH

by RyanH

Here's a closeup of the glue job, was pleased with this one. I use tent seam sealer applied with an acid brush to waterproof the gumwall and keep it looking clean longer. Takes about 5 minutes and makes a significant difference in appearance over time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mep

by Mep

RyanH wrote:I've gotten a few rides in on the Reynolds 46 Aero and the one thing I can comment on is how impressive they are in the wind. Saturday was our typical PCH ride and it was a solid 10 mph cross wind with gusts of 20+ along the canyons. I didn't notice the wind once, everyone else was b*tching to no end about how bad the wind was. Today was even worse with 20mph winds and I'd say they felt the same as Nemesis. Seriously, if you told me the forecast for the day was horribly windy, I wouldn't be bothered to take these off and put Nemesis on. They're surreal in that respect, I've never had a wheel like this in cross winds...even Bora 35s catch more wind than these (noticeably more).

Braking is also different than my RZRs, much better, although more audible too. They're halfway between Bora braking noise and Enve NBT. Braking modulation and feel is very good though, possibly even better than Bora 35s.

I told Imaking20 that I was surprised he sold these to me, as these are probably one of the best wheels I've ridden. Paired with the Vlaanderen, they're a super versatile combo. I can run them at 65/75 for bad road/cruising days or 80/85 for fast rides on smooth tarmac. They take the edge off larger bumps that would normally sting your feet on a carbon bike (didn't quite get that sensation ever with the Ti bikes).
That's quite a glowing review. I've always wanted to try them but wasn't impressed by the weight. How does the crosswind stability compare with the RZR?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

~1245g for a 46mm deep and 26mm wide rim on standard hubs seems like a pretty ok weight to me! They weighed the same as my last set of CCU. These ones have a lighter freehub on so only 1235g sans glue.

Can't imagine RZR handling wind as well. Even my FSE 35 require more attention in crosswind.

RyanH

by RyanH

CCU are only 40mm deep too, although yours must've been fat cause mine were 1180, albeit only 21mm wide.

@Mep, RZRs and old Reynolds FortySix are manageable but not pleasant in light cross winds and a handful in some of the conditions I've been riding over the past few days. The last three days of riding, I would've taken them off and put the Bora 35s on. I'd take the 46 Aero over Bora 35s or my recently departed Lightweight Gipfelsturms & Ventoux (which are only ~28mm deep) without hesistation.

Jbass

by Jbass

Nice wheels, what type of seam sealant did you use?

RyanH

by RyanH

Mep

by Mep

Imaking20 wrote:~1245g for a 46mm deep and 26mm wide rim on standard hubs seems like a pretty ok weight to me! They weighed the same as my last set of CCU. These ones have a lighter freehub on so only 1235g sans glue.

Can't imagine RZR handling wind as well. Even my FSE 35 require more attention in crosswind.
That's better than I remember. I'm going to have to find a chance to acquire these, especially if they feel like a Bora 46, which is what it sounds like and then some.

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks colnago. Funnily enough a few weeks ago I did the same and scrubbed the brake track with acetone and now the pulsing has stopped on my Gipfelsturms. Never had the problem with my Obermayers but my new AX 25T are bloody awful. So much so that i stopped riding them. Will give them a good clean and hopefully they will be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

KarlC

by KarlC

RyanH wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:25 am
I've gotten a few rides in on the Reynolds 46 Aero and the one thing I can comment on is how impressive they are in the wind. Saturday was our typical PCH ride and it was a solid 10 mph cross wind with gusts of 20+ along the canyons. I didn't notice the wind once, everyone else was b*tching to no end about how bad the wind was. Today was even worse with 20mph winds and I'd say they felt the same as Nemesis. Seriously, if you told me the forecast for the day was horribly windy, I wouldn't be bothered to take these off and put Nemesis on. They're surreal in that respect, I've never had a wheel like this in cross winds...even Bora 35s catch more wind than these (noticeably more).

Thx Ryan, its good to hear thoughts from experienced wheel experts like you and Isaac. Ive alway been impressed with the Reyolds Aero line, I only sold my 58 / 72 combo as the buyer of my BMC TMR01 wanted them and they where a bit stiff for me. If I have a chance to buy more Reyolds Aero wheels I will.

Isaac Im wondering why they sat in your garage so long and often and what made you sell them ?

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Reynolds rims always test high up in the ranking when considering aero/maniability

Can't seem to find these 46mm aero reynolds tubular here in Europe
Are they discontinued ?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Reynolds now makes the 46 in disc brake tubeless/clincher only. This started in 2017 so you’d be looking for 2014-2016 if you want rim brake and tubular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Jbass

by Jbass

RyanH wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:44 am
Gear Aid:

https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Seam-Fa ... B01NC0YPAK
Thanks, will buy!

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Are those decals custom? I haven't seen a stock image with the angled "R" logo for the 46's.

Edit: Just saw them on R&A's site with these decals. Seems like maybe a tubs vs. clinchers thing? In the Reynolds catalog they have the standard white decals for 2014-2016 then switch to disc-only for '17.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ducman

by ducman

Beautifull bike!

I'm curently also building an Izalco rimbrake bike.

I'm not sure which PF30 BB to use. Simple plastic press in PF30's good enough? Or better go directly to a screw together BB?

Advice is welcome.