2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rim Brake)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Will be most interested in how you find the braking. I’ve been riding around some on last year’s Madone this past week and the braking is terrible. On Enve 6/7’s. That’s one of the reasons it’s at my place right now, the owner wants to see if I can do something about it. Mostly all I’ve done so far is just ride it around (he wants me to) to get a good feel for it but this weekend I may start looking into the braking a bit more. Wondering if the brakes work optimally within a certain range of rim widths.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I sold my Zipp 404 NSW's to my friend who mounted them on his 2018 Madone 9. Those wheels had exceptional braking on my TCR and Allez Sprint. On his Madone, they are awful. Just not enough torque coming from those calipers. I hope for my sake the 2019 version are better.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Interesting, thanks for that info. Won’t waste too much time on pads, wheels and setup if it becomes obvious this is as good as it gets.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Interesting. I have a Madone 9 w/ Firecrest 404’s and Black Prince pads and don’t have any complaints about the brakes. I live in a flat part of the country, but even when I’ve taken it into the hill country of central Texas, I’ve never been left wanting for brakes.

Maybe I’m just used to bad braking, but I didn’t notice a difference going from my Dura Ace 9000 brakes to my Madone 9 brakes, when I switched bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’m going to experiment some more, since I certainly know what good rim braking can be like. And I’ve certainly experienced bad rim braking as well. Given the bike in my hands now, it has the proprietary bars, stem, etc and cables have to take some pretty abrupt internal angle changes along the way to the calipers themselves. That never bodes well for any mechanical cable routing, brakes or shifting (this one is Di2 so no shifting issues). But I’m just not familiar enough with these calipers on the Madone yet, mostly I’ve just been riding it for the experience of the frame so far. And Noctilux’s build thread isn’t the appropriate place to go into detail on it. Perhaps I’ll report back somewhere else with my best effort final results on this.
Apologies for the slight thread derailment.

Mep

by Mep

Noctiluxx wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:26 pm
Great looking bike. You know, now that I think of it, I don’t know what the rear brake on the new SLR looks like. I’m so used to seeing the disc version, I never thought of the rim version. Mind posting a picture?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here you go.
That looks amazing in that color. Did it come stock in black? I'd trade my silver ones in for those any day.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Mep wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:52 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:
Great looking bike. You know, now that I think of it, I don’t know what the rear brake on the new SLR looks like. I’m so used to seeing the disc version, I never thought of the rim version. Mind posting a picture?

Here you go.
That looks amazing in that color. Did it come stock in black? I'd trade my silver ones in for those any day.
I don't think they are compatible with the previous generation Madone. Pictured below is my buddies 2018 yellow Madone with my 2019.
Attachments
IMG_3903.jpg
IMG_3904.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Mep

by Mep

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mep wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:52 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:

Here you go.
I don't think they are compatible with the previous generation Madone. Pictured below is my buddies 2018 yellow Madone with my 2019.
I see, yeah the front has been totally redesigned so I wouldn't expect it to be reverse compatible. I'm surprised they changed the rear one too though.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The rear brakes appear to be backwards compatible. What you're seeing on the back of the bike is the accomodations made by Trek on the smaller frames. My 60cm version doesn't have the cutouts, because they weren't necessary. The brakes have the same mounting style (direct mount) and are centerpull, so I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible. That being said, it'll look weird having a silver front brake and a black rear brake. Maybe if someone made a CF cover for the older style brakes, they would look nicer.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Does Trek also offer a seatpost with zero or 10° setback for this frame?

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

bruno2000 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:48 pm
Does Trek also offer a seatpost with zero or 10° setback for this frame?
My buddy has a 2018 Madone with a 5mm offset seatpost. Not sure about the 2019 model.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

bruno2000 wrote:Does Trek also offer a seatpost with zero or 10° setback for this frame?
Yeah you can get a zero offset post

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bencolem

by bencolem

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Interesting. I have a Madone 9 w/ Firecrest 404’s and Black Prince pads and don’t have any complaints about the brakes. I live in a flat part of the country, but even when I’ve taken it into the hill country of central Texas, I’ve never been left wanting for brakes.

Maybe I’m just used to bad braking, but I didn’t notice a difference going from my Dura Ace 9000 brakes to my Madone 9 brakes, when I switched bikes.

This. Braking was terrible with Enve pads. Swissstop Black Prince and some adjustment (ease of adjustment is excellent, the whole bike is thoroughly well engineered) and the braking is much better. Not excellent but good enough and not dangerous anymore!

izza

by izza

bruno2000 wrote:Does Trek also offer a seatpost with zero or 10° setback for this frame?
It’s either 5mm or 25mm setback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

really nice bike. but the weight is just too much for my ww tastes.