A winter work horse, built from a garage. Kemponents.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

So here is my Kemponents Winter (Rain) Bike. A handmade steel frame built by my good friend in a garage in Northamptonshire.

This all started after riding several winters on cheap winter hack bikes, a hatred for indoor training means i am training out on the roads as much as possible, I race as an elite XC MTB rider here in the UK. Training would often by around 15 - 18 hours a week out on the rough, wet and dark roads of England so when the opportunity came along to build my own bike i knew exactly what i wanted.

The specification was as follows:

- Geometry the same as my Emonda Summer bike, short headtube!
- Tyre clearance for up to 44mm tyres.
- Disk breaks
- 3 bottle cages
- Threaded BB and external cup headset (so that it’s easy to replace as and when it becomes corroded)
- thru axle rear end.
-full mudguard mounts
- as light as possible.

The outcome I am extremely pleased with, this is the second year I have been using it so it’s already racked up some serious mileage. It honestly is one of the nicest bikes to ride and helps to get me out on the bike on the days when you don’t want to. I know Single Ring isn’t to every ones taste but i am really enjoying it and given its all i use on my MTB bikes and CX bikes I don’t feel like I miss the extra gears.

Specification:

Durace STI
Ultegra RX Rear Mech
Ultegra 11-28 cassette.
DA cranks with Absolute Black 50T Single Ring oval chainring.
Novatec R3 Disk wheels
Pirelli Centrato Tubeless 28mm Tyres
Swarf Carbon Mudguards
Cannondale C1 Stem, sanded with Ti Bolts.
Fizik Cyrano R1 Bars
Fizik 00 Seatpost
Fizik Antares VS EVO R1 saddle

Still need to weight in properly but around 8.6kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jemima

by jemima

I like it.

What's the tubing, and fork model?
Curve Grovel ti.

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Its a Kinesis Tracer Full carbon fork, seems ok but heavy at 520g. I would be keen to change it actually for a lighter model.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Here I was thinking Northhamptonshire was all about handmade shoes, but steel tube welding is apparently also mastered there :thumbup:

What a great looking bike. I like your use of a good bike as motivation for actually getting out. Indoor trainer is so not my thing, so I get that very well. The 1x is something I could be tempted to try out as well. It works on my offroad bikes, but somehow it has never been transferred to my road bike, even the winter training one.

I haven't seen any reviews of the new Pirelli's. What do you think about these (for me it would replace Conti 4season with latex tubes) and how do they measure up in width?

whilgenberg

by whilgenberg

Nice build, both the frame and the component build!

I also like the "K" Guesset detail on the drive-side chainstay. Your jig is also quite substantial which is always nice to see. Did you end up mitering the tubes by hand or by machine?

Glad you have the time between work and training to fit in a bike build too! I need to figure that scheduling conundrum out myself. . .

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

This is way cool, what's the chainring? Wish I could road bike during winter over here too.

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Chainring is one of the new AbsolouteBlack 1x specific chainrings. Its designed to be used with the new style DA and Ultegra chainrings.

Tubing is a mix, Columbus down and top tubes and chainstays, seat tube and seat stays Reynolds.

The new Pirelli Tubeless tyres are brilliant, so grippy in the wet and set up really easily. I am very pleased with them so far!

petert123

by petert123

Super nice build, for all year-around! Bring it to Kent if you want to get it dirty.

rothwem

by rothwem

PlumzRichard wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:43 am
The new Pirelli Tubeless tyres are brilliant, so grippy in the wet and set up really easily. I am very pleased with them so far!
How wide did they end up being mounted up? Did they stretch at all?

My bike can hold a real 28mm or a Conti/Michelin 25, I'm not totally sure which size I should choose if I end up ordering the Pirelli Tubeless tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com