Ghost Nivolet EBS 2015 (5.95 kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

StanK

by StanK

So, after installing all those small parts, the scale says ...

... and the bike is ready for the new season. Tested in a few short rides (30-40 km) in the last month.
One pic from today ride, just for the record :)

There certainly will be no big changes this year (probably a few years, if at all), because I have nothing (heavy) to change, really :mrgreen:
Maybe just small bits here and there ... I've spent too much already. It was worth it, but somewhere the line had to be drawn.
Last edited by StanK on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andreaspp

by Andreaspp

Hi StankK

How are you finding the wheels after a year of riding them?
Stil stiff, light and durable for weekly riding?

Cool WW journel from 7 kg to sub 6kg! :D

StanK

by StanK

Yes, exactly that - stiff, light and durable. Ever since I put them on last year, I haven't even touched them. That's 5k kilometers. I'm pretty impressed. Same feeling/behaviour as day one.

In a matter of the fact, I wanted to write few words about them (in a topic where something was already written, more than a year ago) because I think they deserve it.
But I see that such wheels (only 14mm internal width) are considered practically obsolete these days, so I did not have the will to fight with that opinion, as it would come up in the subject sooner or later.

StanK

by StanK

In the end I had to put 90mm stem, not to feel slightly overstretched when I'm on hoods (most of the time).

That's without bolts (and before I took off all of that ridiculous paint) ...

... and Uno stem had really heavy bolts

Ti bolts are big 10 grams lighter

That dropped, all in all, 9 grams in total in the "stem department" :) and now bike is - 5947 grams.

Btw. I inspected handlebar because of warning that certain Uno stems can leave traces of clamping force, but original Ghost stem (also Uno, but a bit different) was leave no traces at all. Hopefully this new one will behave the same.

StanK

by StanK

The year has passed and, as predicted, nothing has changed on my bike since last year. However, I decided at the beginning of the year to put 25c tires instead of almost exclusively used 23c (Michelin SC on my rims are actually 22-23 cm) over the years, because it seems to me to be a bit of a limiting factor on not very good roads.
There aren’t too many of them on my usual routes, but enough to try to do something about it.

So, the Vredestein Fortezza Duralites looked interesting enough to give them a chance, and after +600 km (yes, that much - this year weather has that bad, as never been in last 10 years, if not more, for sure) I can say that I am completely satisfied with them. Approx. 1-1.5 mm wider than the previous Michelin and that felt immediately. Overall this is not a huge difference, but the bike feels less “nervous” on bad parts of the asphalt. And that's exactly why they came.

But, Vredestein brought 7 grams more to the spreadsheet, so just for the sake of not going in "wrong" direction, I ordered RISK skewers.

I know. I'm not a fan of that name either, but having their top cap and bolt already, and being satisfied with how product look and behave … I took them for just £13.98.

This is my very last attempt with very light skewers (under 60 grams). Last attempt with Carbon-Ti skewers ("heavy version" - 37g.) lasted just one ride, and the Tune DC130 lasted about 500km before they started to creak.
So, 19 grams less than my usual Spada skewers, and all in all that's 12 grams less than last years and in total - 5935 grams.

But … on second ride familiar sound appear. And that meant - game over. For rear skewer.
I kept the front one, which is less critical and doesn’t cause creaking, but the whole time I had a feeling that somewhere something wasn’t holding up properly.
I thought bidon cage slightly come to loose, but it isn't. And that was feel when I hit not that perfect parts of the asphalt, with cracks on it. I replace front skewer, and sound is gone. Obviously, even front skewer hasn't enough force to the clamping properly. So, he is gone too.

All in all, I'm more than satisfied to just keep bike under 6 kg. I reached the point where 1 gram down would cost at least $6-7, which is a lot. And I have very few places where that could be applied at all. Especially, keeping in mind the "limitations" I wrote in my first post of this topic.

And, to be honest, WW bug let me go a bit. Sub 5,5 kg is out of the reach and to spend several hundred euros/dolars to drop aprox. 100 grams, has no sense at all. For me, at least.
And one shot from yesterday ride.

Last edited by StanK on Wed May 12, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

If you set up the bars up correctly you can reduce the reach by a couple of cm’s. So you can run a longer stem

StanK

by StanK

robbosmans wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 pm
If you set up the bars up correctly ...
Meaning?
robbosmans wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 pm
... you can run a longer stem
Why do you think that would be desirable or bring some advantage?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Meaning that the barend is vertical with the ground, that’s how dropbars are intended to be setup, (longer stem would just be for looks lol) otherwise looks pretty good Image

StanK

by StanK

First of all, depends of handlebars. Lot of different shapes around.
Secondly, my goal is to have transition, from top bar to hoods, very slightly tilted upwards, because that is most comfy to me. And I'm on the hoods almost all the time, so ...

Believe me, I tried many variations (along with different spacers, stem angle, stem length) and with this handlebar this is most comfortable position on longer rides. And that is the way I setting up my bike - always.

Truth to be told, this Lightweight Rennbügel is less to my liking (I don't know why exactly, something with shapes of curves, I think) than Cinelli Dinamo (previous handlebar), but it's not a big deal. I spended some extra time with set-up and that's it.

I may ride any handlebar you giving me. Just set up bar height and levers position properly (along with right length stem), and there you go. Where will barend end up, I'm not bother with that. :mrgreen:
20-30 years ago, when I was more flexible, "handlebar setup" would look something different; more aggressive, more "lean forward" style, but those days are gone.

JMc460

by JMc460

Nice bike! I especially liked the look of the whitewall tyres. I will have to find some.