Ghost Nivolet EBS 2015 (5.95 kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

JoO

by JoO

Have you already replaced waterbottle bolts and derailleur pinch bolts by alu ones?

BmanX

by BmanX

Rim tape > velo plugs
Standard bolts > ti bolts
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rlanger

by rlanger

Bike looks great. Could probably shave off another 150+ grams by stripping the paint:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158626

By the way, how is that BDop cassette working for you? Any issues or are you happy with it?

StanK

by StanK

JoO wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 pm
Have you already replaced waterbottle bolts and derailleur pinch bolts by alu ones?
Biddon cages - yes, derailleur bolts - no. Thanks for tip, maybe I do that.
BmanX wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm
Rim tape > velo plugs
Interesting, but I wouldn't touch my wheels inside. They are still under warranty.
But even if they weren't, there's a "tubeless ready rim tape" inside, and I wouldn't touch it. Moreover, manufacturer told me that is better with that tape inside than with a regular rim tape (or something like that), even if I won't used tubeless.

Btw. I think all larger bolts are already titanium or alu.

StanK

by StanK

rlanger wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:32 am
Bike looks great. Could probably shave off another 150+ grams by stripping the paint...
Thanks. But, no way I will strip the paint.

For me the paint along with decals (what was original on bike) is identity of the bike. Strip those down, paint it black (most common) and you will end up with "just some (black) bike". I don't want that.
The only reason I would remove the paint, would be some nasty scratches. But new paint probably wouldn't be much lighter, because I don't like black and I dont like matte, so ... 8)
rlanger wrote:
By the way, how is that BDop cassette working for you? Any issues or are you happy with it?
Very happy. I don't know how long will last (now is some 4000 km and works like day one), but to tell you the truth, these days i was thinking of ordering one for reserve. But I will probably wait another year to see how will behave close to 10 000 km. If holds up well, I will surely buy another.

Btw. with PYC SP1101 chain works much better than with Dura Ace chain. Strange or not I don't know, but for now that is my winning combination. It's feels like there is much less friction with PYC chain.

JoO

by JoO

StanK wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:46 pm
rlanger wrote:
Bike looks great. Could probably shave off another 150+ grams by stripping the paint...
Thanks. But, no way I will strip the paint.

For me the paint along with decals (what was original on bike) is identity of the bike. Strip those down, paint it black (most common) and you will end up with "just some (black) bike". I don't want that.
The only reason I would remove the paint, would be some nasty scratches. But new paint probably wouldn't be much lighter, because I don't like black and I dont like matte, so ... 8)
rlanger wrote:
Very happy. I don't know how long will last (now is some 4000 km and works like day one), but to tell you the truth, these days i was thinking of ordering one for reserve. But I will probably wait another year to see how will behave close to 10 000 km. If holds up well, I will surely buy another.

Btw. with PYC SP1101 chain works much better than with Dura Ace chain. Strange or not I don't know, but for now that is my winning combination. It's feels like there is much less friction with PYC chain.
Where do you buy your PYC chains? Merlin no longer offers them.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

JoO wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:54 pm
The chains are readily available on eBay.

JoO

by JoO

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:36 pm
JoO wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:54 pm
The chains are readily available on eBay.
Belgian customs are very strict. you need to pay VAT/ possible import duties . courrier service is likely to charge administration fee for their import document.

I was hoping for a EU reseller.

StanK

by StanK

Luckilly, in Croatia you only pay VAT at that price (approx. $30). But there a good chances that you will pay nothing at all. At least, I didn't 8)

StanK

by StanK

Unfortunately, lighter skewers and titanium clamp bolts are not worked satisfyingly. After just one ride I got creaking on back wheel and shifters slipping on each ride. So, I'm now definitely through with sub 60 g. skewers. Maybe is up to my frame for some reason, maybe not ... I don't care anymore.

So, the old (Spada) skewers and the original Shimano DA clamping bolts were back on. And the weight went up to 6041 grams :(

StanK

by StanK

But ...

Well, I couldn't resist really. I was toying in my head with idea of carbon handlebar for few months, should I take it or not, pro et contra etc., and in last minute (literally just few days before I was about to go to LBS to install new shifting set) I saw very nice discount on some well known web-shop and thought … "Go for it, you'll be sorry later if you don't".

So ... this came two days ago ...

and for 42 cm. scale says ...

All in all, 53 grams less than Cinelli Dinamo, which was on my bike until this monday. Haven't had a chance to tried Lightweight yet, and I hope next saturday will be rain-free and that I will had my first ride on sub 6 kg bike :beerchug:

It will be, actually, all about observation for fine tuning of handlebars and shifter position, but nevertheless I can't wait. So, with Rennbügel on my bike, that is around 5990 grams.

StanK

by StanK

With Rennbügel only 9mm more reach than Dinamo, I thought it would be maybe ok to continue with present stem. But, it didn't. Ok, 10mm shorter (original) Ghost AS-025 stem (I think it's rebranded Kalloy Uno, more or less, just with Ghost logo) is back on duty. Ghost stem weights 3 grams more, but with Ti bolts will be few gram lighter, actually :)

But Lightweight handlebar is somehow different than Cinelli. That 9mm more reach, with more or less identical shifters positions, feels more like 15mm more reach. So, I will have to slightly adapt my riding position. Nothing major, but still.

Since I was happy with swapping Jagwire Pro braking set for Niro-Glide, I decided to go with their shifting set too. Luckily, Niro-Glide is also lighter, so 17 grams dropped here.
First ride today … Everything works (shifts) without the flaw. Hope it will stay that way.
And the scale says ...

StanK

by StanK

I replaced top cover+bolt too. I always liked "flat top" style and this one fits the bill nicely, with more interesting look and nice 5 gram weight saving.

I also replaced stem stock bolts for Ti bolts and drop 8 grams there. Sorry, no pics, nothing interested there :)

Since I had to unwrap bar tape repeatedly in last month or so, and it was dirty and pretty worn out because of all that work, I decided to put a new one up - BikeRibbon Spugna.

Never heard of it before, but who cares. It's white (maybe too white :| ), it's light, and it was dirt cheap. And in the end it show 5 grams less on the scale (with some extras cutted).
It's not too thin, we'll see what the impression will be. Especially, as I'm fan of cork tapes.

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

StanK wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:33 pm
With Rennbügel only 9mm more reach than Dinamo, I thought it would be maybe ok to continue with present stem. But, it didn't. Ok, 10mm shorter (original) Ghost AS-025 stem (I think it's rebranded Kalloy Uno, more or less, just with Ghost logo) is back on duty. Ghost stem weights 3 grams more, but with Ti bolts will be few gram lighter, actually :)

But Lightweight handlebar is somehow different than Cinelli. That 9mm more reach, with more or less identical shifters positions, feels more like 15mm more reach. So, I will have to slightly adapt my riding position. Nothing major, but still.
I suggest you beware of the light weight Uno stem (AS025 or ASA105).
I had a UNO ASA105 leaving serious dents on a 170g Equinox(Gigantic) carbon handlebar. Tightning torque is less than 4N.m, and I installed correctly according to Uno's instruction- tightened the 2 upper bolts fully than gradually tightened the lowered bolts to desired torque.
The denting was a gradual process, I only discovered it when I changed the stem.
By the way, I have another Equinox bar of the same model, installed on an Aerozine XS7 stem (I would recommend it, not much heavier than Uno), which left no visible marks on the carbon surface and clamped quite securely.

edit: I just noticed on Aerozine's site they "upgrade" the stem's front clamp to a hollowed out design like this:
Mine is the old version with a more substantial 2-piece front clamp, not sure if it makes difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

Hmmm, thanks for warning. I will check in some point, hoping everything would be fine.
I remember it says "UNO" on the inside, but I forgot if there was a mark of the model, as you mentioned. If the problem arises, I will change it for sure.
That will be a great opportunity to spend some more hard earned money to shed another 10-15 grams :lol: