3T Exploro Ltd 6.8kg road, 7.1kg gravel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MattMay

by MattMay

I’ve posted a few times but never properly introduced myself. I was purely mtb until a few months ago (active on MTBR Forums), when I demoed a gravel bike based on a recommendation by Dave Zabriskie, who lives/rides/runs a gravel camp near me in southern California. Ended up loving the experience, and bought a 3T Exploro Ltd frame to build up.

I was trying to strike the balance between fairly light weight, all surface functionality, good looks, and long distance comfort. I know I could drop over a half pound (saddle, pedals, various components, tires, etc) but at the expense of those elements, not to mention wallet impact. (I sold my custom SWorks Epic HT to help finance this build as it is... 3T frameset is crazy expensive!)

I found the original black/dark gray cosmetics a little too understated (boring), so I used some Avery Frozen Matte Gold Conform Chrome Flexible Vinyl Wrap Film and 3M 1080 gloss black letters and trim to dress things up a bit. I had Richard at Stikrd.com make me some custom crank covers with lettering to match the gold vinyl. gold alum and Ti bolts.
IMG_0027.jpg
Frame: 3T Exploro Flatmount LTD (990g)
Fork: 3T Fango LTD (400g)
Headset: 3T Exploro sealed
Seatpost: 3T Charlie Squaro
Front Axle: Syntace x-12 thru axle
Rear Axle: Syntace x-12 thru axle
Shifters: SRAM Force 1/Force HRD Doubletap ErgoDynamic
Rear derailleur: SRAM Force 1
Chain: SRAM 11-speed xx1
Cassette: SRAM X01 10-42
Brakes: SRAM Force HRD hydraulic
Rotors: Shimano Icetec centerlock, 160mm
Crankset: Easton EC90 SL 172.5mm
Chainring: Easton 40T
Bottom bracket: Wheels Mfg 386EVO ZERO ceramic threaded for 30mm cranks
Hubs: Industry 9 Torch Road/CX
Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy 11
Stem: 3T ARX II Team Stealth, 110mm. Ti bolts.
Handlebars: 3T Superghiala Team Stealth Gravel Carbon 44 cm
Saddle: WTB Silverado carbon rails (170g...heavy but comfortable on dirt!)
Handlebar wrap: Supacaz Super Sticky Kush, Galaxy gold print
Bottle cages: Specialized Rib Cage II Carbon
Handlebarend flat tire kit: Sahmurai Sword
Computer: Garmin 520
Saddlebag: Castelli
Tail light: Cygolite Hotrod

I have three wheelsets, all rims are Light Bicycle carbon rims, hand built by Dave’s Wheels (AZ) with identical hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, brake rotors (above), cassettes (above).
IMG_0036.jpg
Wheelset 1 (for pure road): 700c, 35mm depth, 18mm internal width, Panaracer Gravel King tires, 28mm, Maxxis flyweight tubes. Total weight front: 1110g. Total weight rear: 1520g.

Bike weight including pedals in this config (w/out saddle bag, tall light, Garmin mount/520): 7.21 kg (15.9 lb)

Wheelset 2 (for majority of my riding, 50:50 tarmac:dirt): 700c, 36mm depth, 21mm internal width, Panaracer Gravel King SK, 38mm, tubeless (Orange Seal, 40ml). Total weight front: 1250g. Total weight rear: 1660g.

Bike weight including pedals (without saddle bag, tail light, Garmin mount/520): 7.49 kg (16.5 lb). Bike pic above is this config.

IMG_0037.jpg
Wheelset 3 (for pure dirt/single track): 650b, 35mm depth, 24mm internal width, WTB Byway, 47mm, tubeless (Orange Seal 40ml). Total weight front: 1320g. Total weight rear: 1810g.

Bike weight including pedals (without saddle bag, tail light, Garmin mount/520): 7.71 kg (17 lb).

Closeups:
IMG_0031.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg
IMG_1714.jpg
IMG_1702.jpg
IMG_1710.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Would love a go on one of these but I’d be too worried it’d be awesome!

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

Wow that's beautiful. Love the detailing. Who'd have thought an Exploro could look so damn hot!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bilwit

by bilwit

worthy of an olympic champion :lol:

MattMay

by MattMay

Thx all!

It definitely needed some dressing up.

fa63

by fa63

Looks great, well done!

How is the ride with wheelset #1?

MattMay

by MattMay

Well to be honest, this is definitely a purpose built bike and ridden as a pure road machine with wheelset 1 it’s kinda sketchy on steep switchbacking descents. Shorter wheelbase and super short chainstays (415 mm) are to blame I think. And if there’s strong crosswind it’s even sketchier... the “squaro” frame seems to like to catch air over 45-50 Kmph. Supposedly the frame is optimized for 30 or kmph. But...Ive only been on the road a couple months, everything’s been mtb up to that point, so maybe my road skills just suck and I’m too used to the stability of a mountain bike.

Wheelset one is ok off-road but not nearly as comfortable or fun as the other two sets.

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Superb detailing! Very nicely done

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Looks primo! Nice rework withthe gold

markyboy

by markyboy

I like it :thumbup:
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I think you should get some Compass 38s for your road setup!
I ran those on my Crux and they were really fun. Awesome bike, especially with all 3 wheel sets.

fa63

by fa63

Thanks for the feedback. I was curious because I am thinking about building an Open UP as an only bike to cover the range of riding I do, but to me road manners are important because that is more than 50 percent of my riding (probably 60 road / 30 gravel / 10 single track). I think the Exploro is a bit more aggressive in the geometry department, so maybe it is a bit more reactive than the UP.

MattMay

by MattMay

^I think you’re exactly right. I had the Open + and was seriously considering the UP...then I rode the Exploro and for my trails it was a blast and I just pulled the trigger. Both designed by Gerard Vroomen, obviously. So you can’t go wrong either way! I do see many more UPs and Trek Checkpoints and SC Stigmatas around here.

MattMay

by MattMay

tonytourist wrote:I think you should get some Compass 38s for your road setup!
I ran those on my Crux and they were really fun. Awesome bike, especially with all 3 wheel sets.
I’ll give those a go when the Panaracer 38s wear out. At the time I think I couldn’t find Compass 38s in a tubeless gumwall.

I do think 38 is the sweet spot for all around, and I’m a lot more confident descending on the road with them. I’m about to do an 80 mile/8K vertical charity ride on the road and I’m pretty sure I’m going to ride the 38s for that instead of my “road” set. Comfort and confidence=enjoyment!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wheelhead

by Wheelhead

I really like your 3T, it's nice seeing some mixed road bikes being posted here ! Have you had an opportunity to try the Sahmurai Sword yet ?