3T Exploro Ltd 6.8kg road, 7.1kg gravel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MattMay

by MattMay

Thank you! I have used it two times before but not on this bike...my hard tail. Works great especially for large slices. I also carry the smaller “bacon strip” kit from Genuine Innovations for smaller punctures that may not seal. But they would not have worked for my last couple gashes...just not enough material and too big for sealant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JohnHinMD

by JohnHinMD

This is a fantastic build. Very well done! I'm jealous of the gold chrome color touches that you've added.

I built a new 3T Exploro Ltd Flatmount myself. I love it. I went with Dura Ace Di2 9170, Enve stem, 3T Superergo bars, bar end junction, climbing switch, and 52/34 x 11-34 (also have used 11-40 w a Wolf Tooth Roadlink DM). Two wheelsets: (1) Road setup with Enve AR 4.5 (first Schwalbe G-One 30's, then Schwalbe Pro One 28's, now Conti GP4000 28's) and (2) Gravel/Trail/Hooliganism setup with HED Belgium+ 650B with tubeless WTB Byway 47's.

I've been using it as a "one bike" since I sold my Giant TCR Advanced SL rim brake bike a few months ago. Probably 70% on road and 30% on trails. It's downright a blast on gravel and trails, and fast and capable enough on group road rides. I really appreciate the extra comfort of running 28 tires on the road (which are legit 31mm wide on the AR 4.5's), so much so that I scuppered plans to get a TCR Advanced Sl disc because it can't fit Conti 28's. In climbing the 3T feels ever so slightly heavier than past road bikes (Cervelo R3 SL, R5, S-Works, etc.) but of course it would, particularly with discs and Enve AR 4.5's plus 28's, and I don't race competitively. I haven't found it sketchy at all, quite stable, including on descents. It understeers a bit in high speed, sharp cornering or corrections, but I'm pretty sure that's due to the slacker (gravel oriented) head tube angle and 65+ trail figure in my size M. I prefer trail at least in the high 50's for my road bikes.

Anyway, great job on the build. Enjoy.

MattMay

by MattMay

Thank you and likewise! That’s an awesome build! Jealous of the Di2 now that I know more about it...when I go on group road rides I’m for sure odd man out, old school.

I know it’s not the bike that’s sketchy, it’s my lack of skill that makes me sketchy, trying to get used to a whole new kind of bike vs a mountain bike.

Determined to make it the one bike quiver!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

MattMay wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm
I do think 38 is the sweet spot for all around, and I’m a lot more confident descending on the road with them. I’m about to do an 80 mile/8K vertical charity ride on the road and I’m pretty sure I’m going to ride the 38s for that instead of my “road” set. Comfort and confidence=enjoyment!
If you're feeling a little skittish on the smaller tires, the 38s should help that. What's the ride, Nosco?
I currently run 38 Gravel King SKs on the Crux since it's my dedicated gravel ride now and while they're solid all around they're definitely giving up some speed compared to the Compass tires.

MattMay

by MattMay

Yep, Nosco! Pretty sure I’m sticking with the 38s. You riding it? Never done it. Probably take me all day. :-)
Last edited by MattMay on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

awesome build

MattMay

by MattMay

Thx!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

MattMay wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:13 am
Yep, Nosco! Pretty sure I’m sticking with the 38s. You riding it? Never done it. Probably take me all day. :-)
I'm planning on being out there! Deer Creek is tough :unbelievable:

MattMay

by MattMay

Yep, 2 miles of pain!!

kavlares

by kavlares

A very chic build!! is the frame size a Medium?

MattMay

by MattMay

Yes, medium...sorry took so long responding! (Too busy riding :-))

MattMay

by MattMay

Rather than start a new thread I’ll revive this one with an updated title. Over the past couple years I’ve slowly leaned my 3T Exploro Ltd down to get it to 6.77 kg in the road configuration, and 7.08 kg in the gravel mode...only difference between the two is the wheel set/tire combo.

Build list (pics and scale shots below):

Frame: 3T Exploro Ltd, medium
Fork: 3T Fango Ltd
Expander: Carbon-Ti x-plug
Headset: Wolftooth Premium
Seatpost: new 3T Racemax + Ritchey clamp (Ti bolt)
Front Axle: Carbon-Ti
Rear Axle: Carbon-Ti
Shifters: SRAM Force etap AXS
Rear derailleur: SRAM Eagle xx1 AXS
Chain: SRAM 12-speed xx1
Cassette: SRAM Eagle xx1 10-50
Brakes: SRAM Force HRD hydraulic
Rotors: Shimano Icetec centerlock, 160mm
Crankset: Easton EC90 SL 172.5mm
Chainring: Easton 42T
Bottom bracket: Wheels Mfg 386EVO ZERO ceramic
Wheelset 1 (road): Farsports Feder 22mm internal, 35mm hookless, DT Swiss 180 hubs, 1196g
Tires wheelset 1: Schwalbe Pro One tt, 28mm
Wheelset 2 (gravel): Ridefast Hotwire GX, 25mm internal, I9 road Torch hubs, 1350g
Tires wheelset 2: WTB Cross Boss, 35mm
Sealant used for all tires: Stans Race, 60ml/tire
Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater 11
Stem: Extralite Hyperstem, 110mm, Ti bolts
Handlebars: Darimo
Carbon Ellipse road, 44 cm
Saddle: Berk Lupina, 150mm
Handlebar wrap: Bontrager gel cork
Bottle cages: AliExpress carbon
Frame bolts (7), KNC alu
Garmin stem mount
Garmin Varia saddle rail mount