Campagowlo's Specialized Roubaix 2012 build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I've wanted to build a classics style bike for a long time. I've got more time to ride this winter and there is no way I would take my Trek-weenie out in British winter weather. I looked for a frame for a long time and picked this up from a local guy this week. It is in decent condition.

I will use a mixed Campagnolo 10 speed groupset with parts in the garage and a few NOS parts which are on the way. Wheels will be PMP hubs (which I have already) on Ambrosio P20 rims and Sapim race spokes 28F/32R which weenie shop owner Bm0p700F will build in the next few weeks.

A picture to get things going.
Attachments
Roubaix1.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Derailleurs, cables and bar tape fitted. I'm tempted to go with 28mm tyres and tubeless. I've used tubulars for a few years and quickly built up the knowledge to ride180km days on tubs with no stress. Tubeless will require some more new learning but I am keen to give it a go. The Ambrosio P20s are properly tubeless compatible.
Attachments
Roubaix2.jpg

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Nice build. My only concern would be the narrow-ish chainstays, which may limit you to 23c tires. Have you been able to measure this out?

themidge

by themidge

Nice, if your Trek is anything to go by this should be gooden, but why aren't you using that frame ("Pogliagni"?) sitting in the background? Looks just the right thing for a winter bike and the components you already have wouldn't look amiss either.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

@Fijigabe - 28mm on a wide rim might be very tight on clearance. 25mm will be no issue. I've seen other Roubaix's with narrow rims and 30mm just fitting.

@theMidge - I've got a few steel frames I am selling including a nice Merckx Strada. I was looking for a carbon frame with classics style frame clearances and robustness. It was either a Roubaix, Ridley Fenix or a BMC GF. The Roubaix was local and the geometry is spot on and for an excellent price.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

looks good

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Took the Roubaix out this weekend. I need to cut the steerer column by 2cm this week as it is way too high at the moment. It is the polar opposite of my Trek, it smooths out poor surfaces to an amazing extent which makes it great for commuting this winter. It does feel very disconnected though to an extent where you want a bit more feel for the road surface.

A major revelation is the metal Daytona shifters. makes you realise just how much give there is in the carbon and plastic of the Record version.

I'm pleased with the bike as a whole as it has used up a lot of spare parts in the garage and I've spent very little on it. I'm looking forward to putting on the P20/PMP wheelset next month and trying out 28mm tubeless tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com