Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6, 56 (2019) (Operation TransAlp)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Jugi

by Jugi

Since completing the build,

Got a cheeky little christmas present. Definetly not weightweenie, but I'm not ashamed to admit watching a continous cycling commercial.

Decided to get a pair of XLC Pro SL skewers. They feel a bit "soft" when tightening compared to heavier skewers. It remains to be seen how they perform in actual use.

Built a set of wheels for the bike. Aimed at 1300 g and ended up at 1304 g, not too bad.

Here she is:

Modern rims (25mm wide at brake track and 27mm at widest point) compliment the frame and direct mount brakes.

The old 3T Ergonova LTD doesn't suits the bike's color scheme very well, but I like the bar so much I don't want to change. I already experimented sanding down a 3T Doric LTD seatpost of similar age, which went quite well. Doesn't save a lot of weight, but transforms aesthetics. If inspiration strikes, I might remove the paint in the near future.

Garmin Edge 1000 attached to F3 Cycling's Form mount.

Weight (for now, at least) about 6,8 kg (without the Garmin). Spreadsheet updated respectively in the first post. Wonderful, I can still race without ballast!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

Minor changes since last update (buildsheet at first post updated):

Changed saddle from Fizik Antares R1 to Arione R1. In a honeymoon phase right now. I (may) have finally found a suitable saddle, it took only eight years.

Changed handlebar from 3T Ergonova LTD 42cm to Ergonova Team Stealth 38cm, gained 7-9 g in the process. Also went from traditional to integrated brake cable routing. At first it seemed like the dreaded 3T cable integration wouldn't work at all, the brakes were slow to retract. I considered changing to PowerCordz cables which are more bendy than a traditional steel cable. However the setup seemed to take some bedding in and started to work just fine after a while.

Felt like I could lower the cockpit even more, so got a Ceramic Speed dust cover for the headset. Lost a couple of grams and got the cockpit 3-4mm lower.

Got the Hopp Carbon ICR port cover and lost a couple of grams.

After a long dreary winter, spring has finally come up knocking at the door. Went out on it yesterday and gave it some beans. Damn that was fun!

gurk700

by gurk700

Looking great... BUT!
If I'm honest, I loved your previous setup with the FFWD wheels :)

mvcap

by mvcap

Which wheels are those you are currently running?

Jugi

by Jugi

Light Bicycle RRU45T02 rims (stealth decal and grooved brake track), Tune Mig70 front hub (20h), Syntace HiTorque RS rear hub (24h), Sapim CX-Ray spokes and Sapim DoubleSquare nipples. With Syntace hubs front and rear the set was at 1304g and with a Mig70 they should be about 1308g.

I have been thinking about relacing the rear to a Tune Mag170, but there wouldn't be much difference in spoke bracing angle or weight, I like the HiTorque's bearing preload adjustment more than Tune's shim system and I like the star ratchet freehub in HiTorque. So, the rear hub is like a lighter DT Swiss 240s with a preload adjustment and the front is just a light workhorse hub which hopefully resists all environmental effects a road bike might encounter.

mvcap

by mvcap

Thanks!

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Another WW supernice

wfcarrot

by wfcarrot

I want the carbon port cover!! Perfect color match
2018 Sworks Tarmac SL6 - 7.2kg
2017 Colnago C60 - 6.29kg

Rappid

by Rappid

Nice build!
I will be looking for that bike @TTA.
See you in Innsbruck! :)

Jugi

by Jugi

Final configuration for the Alps: 50/34 Q-rings, SRAM Red XG-1190 11-28 cassette and a SRAM Red 22 chain. Sitting at 6,74 kg.

I've started to grow a bit weary of the aluminium link brake housing. I have been using this type of housings for years on multiple bikes. On some bikes they seem to stay silent no matter what use and abuse they'll end up going through. On some bikes they are just fine for a couple of months after initial install, but after a rainy ride or riding in particularly dusty conditions, on this frame they eventually started to creak. For this build, a problematic area seems to be rear brake cable housing's entry into the top tube. So far I've tried a couple of different things to remedy the creak, but haven't found a viable solution yet. As the bike is completely silent otherwise (not mentioning the hum of carbon and some healthy drivetrain noise), I may just end up switching to normal brake housing at some point.

Jack65

by Jack65

Excellent bike and excellent project.

I just started looking for a new bike form my son for 2020 season. It will most probably be built on either SL6 Pro. Depending on what budget we will get from the cycling club.

I'm a fan o FFWD wheels. We have two sets of F6R-C that survived many crashes and are still good to go. Though of course, being alu-carbon clinchers they are on the have side, weighting 1800 gram. I recently found a pair od F4R tubeless with DT Swiss 240s hubs weighting around 1250 grams. We will try to get them if possiible.

Plus Ultegra Di2 components.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Nice build! Been considering the Qrings, but fear they might not play well with the FD. Do they shift well?

I hear you about the aluminum link housing. Something on the SL6 makes the noise echo through the frame. I finally sprayed some automotive detailer spray, has a little wax in it, onto the cables and then wiped them off. Work the solution into the links and it quiets them down. It’ll wear off after a few washes, but then I just respray and it’s fairly quiet again. Worth looking into.....

Jugi

by Jugi

I think about a month ago I wrote extensively about eTap front shifting and q-rings into a thread discussing especially that subject. But in short, that is one of those "it depends" things. In my opinion it can be made to work well, but mostly likely the setup needs multiple fine tunings before getting to a happy place of almost only crisp shifts and no dropped chains. At one point during this summer I was ready to give up q-rings for better front shifting, but right now I'm reasonably satisfied with them again.

My experiences:

This Tarmac SL6:
- 52/36 Q-rings and the FD wedge installed. Maybe I have been lucky, but after getting the FD wedge's position perfect, I have been able to change chainrings, re-install the FD etc. and always end up with crisp and fluid front shifting with a minimal risk (which I consider normal) for a dropped chain.
- 50/34 Q-rings and the FD wedge installed (as pictured a couple of posts above). Reliable shifting but somehow not as crisp as with 52/36. I suspect the chainrings may have been worn further than my 52/36.

Tarmac SL2 size 46:
- 46/36 Q-rings and no FD wedge installed. Really finicky to get reliable shifts, but eventually got them to shift quite nicely. Not as crisp and fluid as on the SL6, though. Again, I suspected the rings might not have been far from end of life.

Scott Plasma 2 size 54:
- 55/42 Q-rings and no FD wedge installed, because the frame's rear wheel shroud makes wedge installation nearly impossible. Not too hard to make front shifts "good enough for a TT bike".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com