Hi There! Looking To Lose Weight

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Schwinning

by Schwinning

I’m Zach, I live in Seattle and I like doing things the hard way on my converted old fixed gear.
I fancy old Schwinn’s in original paint black, so I started with this, a 1981 Schwinn Voyageur (coincidentally the same year as me)
20379B54-0002-41DD-8844-A423DB16EE0A.jpeg
And I built it into this
B1D4D77B-3719-4578-AC3C-F8791EFC50C7.jpeg
I rode it like that for two seasons, mostly unchanged, until the beginning of this past season when the upgrade bug bit me hard. Now it sits like this.
ABEC1FB7-86C1-4CEA-BB85-F1505A2C5420.jpeg
So, as the title states, I’d like to loose weight. I’m currently happy and healthy at around 79kg, but the bike could use a diet. It’s around 10kg which is fat for a fixed gear. My next upgrade is going to be ultralight Compass 32’s and race tubes. I’ve been working hard burning that rear Gatorskin down but it’s putting up a good fight. Anyway, I’d be interested to hear what ya’ll think, starting with the best bang for buck lightening and going from there. My old original square taper bottom bracket (loose ball bearing) is starting to get pretty tired so I’m also interested in upgrading that as well.

hannawald

by hannawald

Sorry, i have now idea how to upgrade your bike, just want to say it look really good, all part match together, good work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Schwinning

by Schwinning

Thank you... I defintley value the current aesthetics so it will be a challenge to make upgrades to the bike without changing its character drastically.

A couple more questions...
How do I make the images full size?
Also, the underwhelming response on this thread has me thinking that I'm in the wrong place. Is this a derailer only gang or what? ;)

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

It's going to be difficult to lighten it up substantially and retain the character of the bike, which is probably something to do with it.

Obvious place to cut weight is the saddle, there's at least half a pound to shed there, but would a modern carbon thing ruin the looks?

Schwinning

by Schwinning

Yeah I know the saddle is a tank, but I love how it looks and it and my ass have become great friends this year. I’d hate to break them up. I’ve thought about going to Ti rails, but that doesn’t have a very good $$$/gram ratio.

Since I need a new BB anyway I’d like to make that my first upgrade. I’m not really sure what is what out there though so any guidance would be much appreciated.

The seatpost is an old SR Laprade 26.8, also heavy. I’m positive a 27.0 or possibly a more common 27.2 will fit, so I’m considering a Thomson Masterpiece once I can test a 27.2. I’m not wild about the looks though, I really like the flutes in the old SR post.

The Super Maxy cranks are original to the bike and I like the look. However, if I can find lightweight cranks that have a similar (vintage-ish) look I’d be all for it.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I had an ‘85 Schwinn LeTour that was my first road bike. I was mtn bike only before then.

I did some similar things to what you did. I live and FL and have no problems riding around a single speed. It was 53t front and 16t rear.

It’s hard to get an old steel frame bike lighter and still retain the character. Maybe you can search eBay and find some vintage correct race parts that are lighter. Stem, bars, seatpost, saddle etc.

You can probably shed a few grams on the BB if you shop around for a lighter one, but it’s probably not going to be huge. Square taper BB aren’t as popular as they used to be.

What do your current wheels and tires weigh?
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

Schwinning

by Schwinning

I'm currently running 40x13. The 40 happens to be the original inner ring to the bike.

I just purchased the wheels this summer. H Plus Son Archetypes with DT Swiss track hubs and 20/24 DT spokes. 1010g rear, 915 front (according to Velomine). I'm defintely not ready to replace them yet. Tires are 32mm Gatorskins (350g), planning on upgrading those to Compass 32mm ultra light (250g) and light tubes as soon as I wear the rear out. The original wheels and tires that I built the bike with were embarrasingly heavy. The current setup made a massive difference.

I imagine the only weight savings from a BB would come from using a Ti spindle (axle?).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

catherinehales

by catherinehales

Schwinning wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:44 pm
I'm currently running 40x13. The 40 happens to be the original inner ring to the bike.

I just purchased the wheels this summer. H Plus Son Archetypes with DT Swiss track hubs and 20/24 DT spokes. 1010g rear, 915 front (according to Velomine). I'm defintely not ready to replace them yet. Tires are 32mm Gatorskins (350g), planning on upgrading those to Compass 32mm ultra light (250g) and light tubes as soon as I wear the rear out. The original wheels and tires that I built the bike with were embarrasingly heavy. The current setup made a massive difference.

I imagine the only weight savings from a BB would come from using a Ti spindle (axle?).
thanks for sharing information...