Cannondale Caad8 - deserves some love. What do I need to fit this Si crank, I’m consfused (doesn’t take much!).

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Druster

by Druster

Hi folks,

Been riding for two years and have pretty much run my Caad8 into the ground. I bought a used Factor o2 and suffice to say we don’t get on so, whilst that’s on eBay to fund an Evo, it’s time the Caad got some love!

First things first, I picked up an Si crank to replace the 105 group crank and would be hugely grateful of those ‘Dale experts out there who could advise what BB (just bearings?) I would need to fit this onto the bike? Piccy of all the bits below!

Thanks muchly and I’m looking forward to seeing how much lighter things can get!

Cheers
Dru
Attachments
The Caad - don’t laugh, I’m just playing with tan walls!
The Caad - don’t laugh, I’m just playing with tan walls!
The Factor
The Factor
Si crank from a caad12
Si crank from a caad12

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Others may correct me, but I believe the new Si crank spindle is just a straight PF30, it looks like your CAAD8 is standard threaded (BSA). You'll need an adapter, I believe you can get one from WheelsMfg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Druster

by Druster

Appreciate your thoughts thank you very much!

That sounds easier than pushing bearings in!?

Druster

by Druster

Here’s a close up of current arrangement. :thumbup:
Attachments
5F33E3BF-295D-4E78-B753-A19A3817655A.jpeg

chris47

by chris47

Why did you not like the factor? it looks rad

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Need more info on the Factor. What's going on? Why would you choose the EVO over the Factor?

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

BB30 crank will not fit on BSA frame. spindle will be too short

Druster

by Druster

Factor....hmmm.....stiff, light, comfortable, £7k new in current spec vs Caad8 £700.

I think I’m a reasonably fit rider and to me, it (for whatever reason) just hasn’t clicked. Also, there is no way it justifies the extra place value (£0) over the Caad8. You may laugh but to me it’s only incrementally faster and doesn’t justify the whopping extra chunk. I love riding the Caad and can only think the Evo will be a nice halfway house.

So basically I’m buggered for getting this crank into the frame - I thought the Caad was bb30?

Where’s the crying emoji!?

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

You could install it on an EVO if you get one.

taking a guess here but I think CAAD8's were all BSA, CAAD9's had a mix of BSA and BB30, CAAD 10's were all BB30 and CAAD12 is now BB30A

Druster

by Druster

This topic hints that it might be possible or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mech ... -bb30.html

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

There was an original USA made CAAD8, before the CAAD9 became the new top alloy model, and that was BB30.
Later on, after the CAAD10 came out (?) they did a lower range alloy bike and used the CAAD8 name for that too.

Druster

by Druster

A lot of people hint at it having a bb30 however it’s a 2014 ‘made in Taiwan’ bike. I guess I’d need the pull the current threaded bb to see for certain whether it is natively threaded or has an adaptor??

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

To my eye, that's a 2014-16 CAAD8 Sora Frame that's been retrofitted with 105.

CAAD8s and Alloy Synapses of that age came with BB30 on Tiagra and above. Claris and Sora had a BSA BB, so you'll not be getting an SI in there.

I'd take the advice on that forum with a pinch of salt. Some CAADs (CAAD10 Track springs to mind) had that arrangement, where the BB30 shell was present but an adaptor was fitted, but I wouldn't be 100% that was the case. Can you remove the crank and snap some close-up pictures of the shell?

Even at that, removing the FSA adapter shell is no picnic. There's a very pricey tool for the job, which is hard to get, or you can improvise some kind of press etc. The idea it can be tapped out with a hammer and a bit of PVC pipe is ambitious, to say the least. I bought a CAAD10 frame with one fitted, properly loctited etc. Eventually, I ended up carefully cutting a section from the adapter whilst in situ and pressing the rest out with a bottle jack as a press. A lot of stress and hassle.

Druster

by Druster

Thank you for your thoughts guys, It’s very much appreciated. Though I haven’t yet had the opportunity to pull the crank it sounds like it’s going to be more hassle than it’s worth as a winter bike.

Built up an Ultegra r8000 group so just need to get on the hunt for a new crank now then - Si back on eBay!

Sad times....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

You'll be able to tell pretty quickly if you remove the existing crank and one side of the BB. There's a clear line where the adaptor is fitted.

Check around with your LBSs if it does have the adaptor, you might get lucky and they'll have the remover tool.