Emonda Subten (<10 lb)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

subten

by subten

Hello, I've just completed my new build with a goal of under ten lbs (Subten) and landed at a final weight of 4.445 kg (9.8 lb.) full up with pedals and bottle cage.

I started with the 2018 Trek Emonda SLR Race Shop Limited size 54 frame. I used the lightest weight components that didn't have rider weight limits and that did not compromise reliability. I saved weight by using bullhorns (which I prefer) instead of drop bars, going 1x11 drivetrain (also which I prefer), making my own seat mast, and using a modified SRAM eTap Blip Box without any external buttons or wires.

Brakes are EE Brakes Direct Mount with Bontrager Carbon Stop Cork brake pads. Wheels are Tune Schwarzbrenner Tubular Tune Hubs and Tufo Elite tires, glued with Mastik One. I could have gone lighter on the wheels but again I didn't want to get into rider weight limit territory. Quick releases are Tube Skyline. These use a key chuck, which I prefer for deterring casual wheel theft. Stem is 120mm Extralite Hyperstem which I need to shorten to 100mm for my riding position, which would also save some additional weight. Saddle is Bontrager XXX Carbon saddle. Bottle case is Fabric brand which is simply nylon nuts which hold matching bottles having formed mounts which lock onto the nuts. I like this because it's a very clean look and it looks like the bottle is floating on the frame.

I also went with the WiFli (long cage) version of the SRAM eTap rear derailleur which I ended up not really needing. I may go with the standard eTap rear derailleur and save some additional weight and less chain links. Pulley wheels are Carbonice "Hanni and Nanni" carbon.

Headset is Cane Creek AER.IS41/28.6 upper and short cover top. Carbonice 5mm space under the stem and the Carbonice Ahead (Hats Hot Inge?) Carbon top cap is also an integrated 5mm spacer. Expander is Extralite Expander UltraStar 3.

Brake Levers are Profile ABS Carbon. Brake housing is SWIFT. Inners are standard steel. I did have Power Cordz inners but couldn't use them because the Profile ABS Carbon levers require MTB style cable stops. So I have on order Power Cordz MTB version and I should save another 18g once I can install them.

Crankset is SRAM Red GXP. Chainring is Wolftooth 46T Drop Stop narrow wide. I'll probably go down to 44T and save around 20g plus links. Chain is KMC X11SL DLC 11-speed black and red. Pedals are ACE Mini aluminum with titanium spindles (I prefer small flat pedals over clip in). Cassette is OMNI Racer 11-28 Titanium. All bolts are Ti.
20180923_142305.jpg
20180923_142554.jpg
20180923_142642.jpg
20180923_142615.jpg
The Trek seat mast is somewhat heavy, I think over 100g. So I made my own. I got the Darimo Carbon Seatpost for its lightweight CF hardware and I made the mast from RockWell Composites carbon fiber tube. I had to go this route because the frame uses a proprietary outer-mounting seat mast instead of standard inner-mounting seat posts. The final weight of the DIY seat mast and hardware came to 69g and the mast is thicker than it needed to be. Clamp is Carbonite carbon fiber. See photo...
20180923_135528.jpg
One of the goals was simplicity, and I did not like the complexity of the SRAM eTap Blip Box with a bunch of wires and buttons cluttering the cockpit. I also did not like the bulk of the blip box. So I removed the upper housing of the Blip Box, epoxied the circuit board into the lower section, sealed the board with silicone conformal coating, added a drop of hot melt glue to each button and topped it off with liquid electrical tape. I then placed a small piece of carbon fiber thin wall plate over the buttons to make them easier to press with surface area. I rounded out the mount of the lower housing to fit the profile of the handlebar, applied liquid electrical tape for grip and direct mounted it to the handlebar with electrical tape and then a final wrap of Deda perforated grip tape. See photos...
20180923_125703.jpg
20180923_134255.jpg
20180923_134419.jpg
Sorry for hopping all over, I'm in a rush because I'm excited to finish this project and anxious throw this toy around on some rides.
Last edited by subten on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subten

by subten

Oops, here's weight photo.
Attachments
20180923_141118.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

only way this could be better is if you used a tennis ball as a saddle

subten

by subten

Tried but wife said no.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Can you explain the pedals?

subten

by subten

Sure. The pedals are smaller platform pedals measuring 50mm x 70mm and weight 126g total. They're aluminum with titanium spindle labeled "ACE". The size is perfect for me. I'm encouraged to ride clipped-in by other riders but it's not my thing.

One things that intrigues me about this bike is there is still so many things that could be done to shed weight if I wanted to make this strictly a light weight bike. Really none of the components are ULTRA lightweight like THM etc. And if I didn't mind voiding the factory warranty, the paint could be stripped. I could go with small cage rear derailleur with carbon fiber cage, but I'm not sure I want to give up 32T compatibility. The chainring is also heavy. The wheels are ~1150g but I wanted to stick with mid section with the new U-shape aero profile and wider width. The stem is 20mm too long for me. I could go with those tiny pedals that are basically just spindles. I also made my own brake levers with return springs using gutted and ground down SRAM 900 TT brake levers mounted to a fully carbon fiber DIY lever mount that bonds directly to the handlebars. They weigh 30g total, which is 48g less than what I'm using, but I didn't go with them yet because the project had been lingering too long and I really needed to finish over the weekend. I estimate I could easily lose over 500g by doing these things, and there's more that could be done as well, but the goal was to just get under 10 lbs while retaining certain criteria. I think this would be a great platform for someone who wanted to go all out lightweight.

subten

by subten

I should add, I actually didn't choose the Emonda based on weight. My last bike was a Speed Concept TT bike and I was looking for more of a road bike. I test rode many bikes at shops and the feel of the Emonda instantly fit me like a glove. It was quick and agile, and I could feel the road very well under me while also having a natural dampening without any active dampening components like the Madone or Domane. I particularly did not care for the feel of the Domane. It felt like a semi truck compared to the Emonda. I also test rode Cannondale, Cervelo and Felt road bikes. I could see their value in many ways and I could see why they're preferred by many, but the Emonda by far gave me the best ride feel. Albiet the Emonda isn't among the better looking bikes, especially next to the Madone and some other incredible looking bikes I see here, but after many years and countless thousands of miles enjoying the Speed Concept, riding the Emonda was a whole new excitement for me and I find that refreshing.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Excellent work and creative spirit to find a way to get what yu wanted and needed for each component.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com