dacrazy1‘s Stallion (old Gems)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

dacrazy1 wrote:New Vittoria Tan TiresImage
This thread was such a gem up until now. What happened?
That saddle setup just looks all wrong but if that works for you then so be it.
Except your other bikes you present don’t seem to need the saddle jammed all the way forward and tilted downward with what sure looks to be an excessive amount. So why is it needed here?
The wheels... ok, they’re Enve’s. I get it. But those logos against that frame are quite distracting. That frame has more going on graphically than most, so bold graphics on peripherals tend to just muddy things up if not really tied into the whole effect, and in this case I don’t think they are.
Same goes for the “tan” Vittorias, clash. I put “tan” in quotes because I think Vittorias whitewalls are anything but a nice tan color. See Specialized Turbo Cotton for “tan”.
Then the levers on those bars. Prime example of lever/position/bars that just don’t work together. How long do your hands have to be to reach out from the drops to grab some brake. Those levers are out there.
And finally, that horrible oval ring. The aesthetic eyesore is reason enough to get rid of it but aesthetics aside, isn’t SRAM front shifting bad enough without throwing a front ring like that into the mix.

Other than those minor nits, it’s perfect. Now, I’m just going to pretend this last pic just got thrown into this otherwise wonderful thread by accident, and that you’ve sobered up by now. Ha... I know I was hard on ya, but judging by everything before this, I’d expect better. Next project... please...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dacrazy1

by dacrazy1

Calnago wrote:
dacrazy1 wrote:New Vittoria Tan TiresImage
This thread was such a gem up until now. What happened?
That saddle setup just looks all wrong but if that works for you then so be it.
Except your other bikes you present don’t seem to need the saddle jammed all the way forward and tilted downward with what sure looks to be an excessive amount. So why is it needed here?
The wheels... ok, they’re Enve’s. I get it. But those logos against that frame are quite distracting. That frame has more going on graphically than most, so bold graphics on peripherals tend to just muddy things up if not really tied into the whole effect, and in this case I don’t think they are.
Same goes for the “tan” Vittorias, clash. I put “tan” in quotes because I think Vittorias whitewalls are anything but a nice tan color. See Specialized Turbo Cotton for “tan”.
Then the levers on those bars. Prime example of lever/position/bars that just don’t work together. How long do your hands have to be to reach out from the drops to grab some brake. Those levers are out there.
And finally, that horrible oval ring. The aesthetic eyesore is reason enough to get rid of it but aesthetics aside, isn’t SRAM front shifting bad enough without throwing a front ring like that into the mix.

Other than those minor nits, it’s perfect. Now, I’m just going to pretend this last pic just got thrown into this otherwise wonderful thread by accident, and that you’ve sobered up by now. Ha... I know I was hard on ya, but judging by everything before this, I’d expect better. Next project... please...

Haha ... i‘m not surprised about your statements; but think about it a little bit longer:

1: Saddle position is 50 mm behind crankaxle (uci-roule)
2: Chain-Ring (it‘s not about the design, but about cadence and p)
3: This is my - very fast Aero-Killer bike Image

But to keep things correct ... this is another Colnago ... better that way?

dacrazy1

by dacrazy1

With Contis

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks for not taking too much offence at my comments :) but I did think about it...
50mm setback is the bare minimum allowed by UCI, and really, unless you're racing UCI events it doesn't matter. But given that, if you're right at the limit, why? It's not a rule that should be considered a "good thing". And on the Mapei bike, the saddle is so far foward that the rear of the clamp's cradle is actually extending a bit rearward of where the upward rearward curve of the rails start. Maybe lower it and simulataneoulsy move the saddle rearward, I dont' know. The red bike looks to be a better setup for sure, but if you want to designate your Mapei steed as the "aero" bike then sure, seat yourself as far forward as you like I suppose, but not beyond the saddle clamp cradle. Maybe a zero offset post is in order.

And the tilt... with a tilt like that you must be having to push back with your arms against the bars to stay centered and keep from sliding forward. I realize that some saddles may look "tilted" but in fact you're seated you are in fact level, but here's the test... can you ride no hands and feel totally balanced without feeling like you're still having to do things with your body/legs to keep from sliding forward? Or is that the sacrifice you're making to be able to keep that aero position?
The chainring: Well, if you really like the oval rings from a biomechancial standpoint, then fine, and whether it looks good or not is both subjective and secondary. I happen to think they're hideous, and they do compromise front shifting... how could they not. It's kind of hit and miss where your ring is at the moment you are shifting... will there be a big gap between the derailleur and the teeth, or a little one... it's never consistent. But still... SRAM is an odd choice to use in conjunction with those rings.

The levers on the bars look much more reachable on the red bike too. Still not sure about the dragster style mix of a 50mm rear Bora paired with a 35mm front, but that's just because I like symmetry in the wheels. Gentlemen... start your engines, and burn those tires.

You have a lot 'o bikes... I like your thread. Keep 'em coming. OH, and just saw your last post... much much better with the all black tires, at least imo. Saddle looks a bit more leveled out as well... maybe it was just the angle of the photo before or the lean of the bike against the wall. But the last one is just a much nicer, brighter photo as well. Looks good.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dacrazy1

by dacrazy1

Calnago wrote:Thanks for not taking too much offence at my comments :) but I did think about it...
50mm setback is the bare minimum allowed by UCI, and really, unless you're racing UCI events it doesn't matter. But given that, if you're right at the limit, why? It's not a rule that should be considered a "good thing". And on the Mapei bike, the saddle is so far foward that the rear of the clamp's cradle is actually extending a bit rearward of where the upward rearward curve of the rails start. Maybe lower it and simulataneoulsy move the saddle rearward, I dont' know. The red bike looks to be a better setup for sure, but if you want to designate your Mapei steed as the "aero" bike then sure, seat yourself as far forward as you like I suppose, but not beyond the saddle clamp cradle. Maybe a zero offset post is in order.

And the tilt... with a tilt like that you must be having to push back with your arms against the bars to stay centered and keep from sliding forward. I realize that some saddles may look "tilted" but in fact you're seated you are in fact level, but here's the test... can you ride no hands and feel totally balanced without feeling like you're still having to do things with your body/legs to keep from sliding forward? Or is that the sacrifice you're making to be able to keep that aero position?
The chainring: Well, if you really like the oval rings from a biomechancial standpoint, then fine, and whether it looks good or not is both subjective and secondary. I happen to think they're hideous, and they do compromise front shifting... how could they not. It's kind of hit and miss where your ring is at the moment you are shifting... will there be a big gap between the derailleur and the teeth, or a little one... it's never consistent. But still... SRAM is an odd choice to use in conjunction with those rings.

The levers on the bars look much more reachable on the red bike too. Still not sure about the dragster style mix of a 50mm rear Bora paired with a 35mm front, but that's just because I like symmetry in the wheels. Gentlemen... start your engines, and burn those tires.

You have a lot 'o bikes... I like your thread. Keep 'em coming. OH, and just saw your last post... much much better with the all black tires, at least imo. Saddle looks a bit more leveled out as well... maybe it was just the angle of the photo before or the lean of the bike against the wall. But the last one is just a much nicer, brighter photo as well. Looks good.
The setup on the Mapei is a try to look about difference between a real aero frame and a normal one. I used the same setup and the difference was small: Image

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Are all these bikes in your possession currently?

dacrazy1

by dacrazy1

The Cervelo not any more since last October.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@calnago, re the long reach to the levers on the Mapei. Unlike some brands (coughpagnolocough), the Sram levers come with conveniently located screws that allow the rider to dial the positions of both the brake and shift levers to the perfect distance from the bars. :D And yeah - that whole thing is a nightmare - sorry dacrazy1.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha... I’ve seen so many SRAM setups with reaches like that. It’s the shape (or nonshape) of the levers which, adjustment of no adjustment, tend to just stick out in a lot of cases, like flat sticks. The newest levers seem to have a bit more ergonomic shape to them.

dacrazy1

by dacrazy1

The riding quality with this setup is fantastic
I have som e boras lying around and Saddleposition is changend in a few minutes; but i ride it that way ... the tan vittorias gona be changed in 1500km ...

dacrazy1

by dacrazy1

A Leo Estermann from Zürich; A work of art; about 1700 frames made; a lot of them for Pros; 1938 till 1985. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dacrazy1

by dacrazy1

ImageImageImageImageImage

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

What an amazing collection!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

dacrazy1

by dacrazy1

The next Colnago is back to life! Saved a 74 Super: Special 24 hole hubs with Crowfoot Spoke Pattern. New color.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dacrazy1

by dacrazy1

My last Project: A Colnago C40 HP from 2001 (new paint) with Campa SR from 2015. Love it. Handelbar is a Deda Pista; not happy with it (optical). Will change it asap. Better pictures asap.
Weight: 7,1kg!