Cannondale SuperSix Evo (58cm) - Midweight Weenie

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RJL

by RJL

G'day team,

Another lurker turned contributor here. My name is Ryan and I'm from Melbourne, Australia.

Weight Weenies has been a handy source of inspiration, so here's my long-serving 58cm 2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 5 105. It was originally a Shimano 5700 bike, then 5800 and then SRAM Force 22. It has been through a few iterations under my ownership, but this is its current form: 6.75kg as pictured.

As you can see, it's a fairly moderate build (with a bit of an American theme) designed to be able to survive everyday use and be affordable to maintain. I wanted a light bike for climbing, but I liked the idea of everything being at about the same level with nothing that stood out as either too budget or too fancy. It seemed weird to overcapitalise on a SuperSix Evo that isn't a Hi-mod, so rather than go for flagship componentry across the board I've tried to get it as light as possible without spending too much on any one particular area.

Specs are below. There are a few choice bits, but it's all pretty mainstream and easily repeatable/repairable. This bike gets ridden a lot, including some racing. While I'm sure in time it will evolve further - maybe a Hi-mod frame, SRAM Red, SiSL... - this is where we're at for now. I believe it's an awesome bang-for-buck rig. Some more info about where it came from before this is further below.

Frameset: 2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 5 105 58cm
Headset: FSA w/ carbon cap and KP017 expander (16g)
Seatpost: Zipp Service Course SL 27.2 x 330mm (225g), standard clamp
Saddle: Fabric Line Pro Shallow (176g) w/ Moon light saddle mount
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL 110mm (134g)
Cockpit: Edge Mount stem attachment for Garmin (16g) w/ Pro-Bolt black Ti fasteners (6g pair)
Bars: Zipp SL-70 Ergo 42cm (216g)
Tape: FSA Powertouch w/ Cane Creek ee plugs (12g pair)
Cages: Jenson USA (30g each w/ bolts)
Cables: Jagwire
Brakes: SRAM Force 22 w/ Reynolds Cryo-Blue pads
Mechs: SRAM Force 22
BB: FSA PF30 nylon cups (76g)
Crankset: Cannondale Si175mm 52/36 OPI 8-arm spidering (611g)
Chain: SRAM PC-1170
Cassette: SRAM PG-1170 11-28 (259g)
Shifters: SRAM Force 22 (321g pair w/ hoods)
Wheels: Reynolds Attack 29x25/17mm (1379g w/ tape)
Skewers: LifeLine Carbon/Ti (44g)
Tubes: Continental Light Road tubes (78g each)
Tyres: Pirelli P Zero Velo 23c (193g each)
Pedals: LOOK Keo Blade Carbon/Ti (194g pair)

Total: 6.75kg as pictured above

Individual weights in that list are as measured. They're rounded to the nearest gram, which was my way of being conservative with my overall estimate during the build. I'm sure that will bother the true Weenies, so I apologise in advance!

This round of upgrades started after I swapped from Shimano 5800 105 to SRAM Force 22 and weighed the bike at 7.53kg, as pictured below.

It had entry-level finishing kit and I began to realise how little I would need to change to get it into the 6.xxkg range, so I set about bringing it up to the state it's in now. Suffice to say, dropping almost 800g from the bike while adding stiffness through the wheelset in particular has made it feel like a totally new bike. I absolutely love it!

My favourite upgrades would have to be the carbon Zipp SL-70 bars ...

... the Si crankset, which I painstakingly installed with no less than four consumables in different spots to make sure it wouldn't creak ...

... and the ee bar plugs, which are light, but really just a bit of bling that I like because they were the finishing touch.

The Reynolds Attack wheelset is also a favourite, and certainly the one upgrade that took the longest to decide upon. The SuperSix's notorious lack of NDS chainstay clearance rules out almost all current, American, carbon wheelsets as pretty much every brand is going too wide these days to work with these frames. These fit just right, and are beautifully made. An awesome climbing wheelset.

So that's me. Looking forward to catching up on a few builds in here.

Attachments
2014 SuperSix Evo 58cm
2014 SuperSix Evo 58cm
58cm SuperSix Evo
58cm SuperSix Evo
IMG_3204.jpg
_MG_6778.jpg
IMG_3207.jpg
11.jpg
IMG_3209.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orbital

by Orbital

Love it! I have the same colourway, shimano 105 equipped, but a 56. It’s currently undergoing complete change over to Campagnolo Chorus.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Fantastic build thread Ryan, well done. Great first post. Great pics and an interesting read along with the pics. Pleasure to read. And most of all, great build! Everything is proportionate and just looks right to my eye. Sometimes I wonder how some builds can go so wrong. So it’s nice when I see one that’s so right.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RJL

by RJL

Orbital wrote: Love it! I have the same colourway, shimano 105 equipped, but a 56. It’s currently undergoing complete change over to Campagnolo Chorus.
Lovely! It's a classic, tasteful looking frameset in my opinion. Keen to see your build and compare the finished weight as I did briefly consider going Campy with this bike, but was eventually lured by the idea of keeping things American (even if it does all come from Taiwan...). Have you got a projected total for your rebuild?
Calnago wrote: Fantastic build thread Ryan, well done. Great first post. Great pics and an interesting read along with the pics. Pleasure to read. And most of all, great build! Everything is proportionate and just looks right to my eye. Sometimes I wonder how some builds can go so wrong. So it’s nice when I see one that’s so right.
Thanks for the kind words, Calnago. I'm glad it's not just me who finds it good looking! I did try to keep things in balance aesthetically this time around. With the last build, the Force 22 crankset was a bit heavy/bulky to my eyes and distracting, so the way the Spidering now shows the frame behind it is something I love. The lack of deep aero rims also helps that visual lightness, I think.

Orbital

by Orbital

RJL wrote:
Orbital wrote: Love it! I have the same colourway, shimano 105 equipped, but a 56. It’s currently undergoing complete change over to Campagnolo Chorus.
Lovely! It's a classic, tasteful looking frameset in my opinion. Keen to see your build and compare the finished weight as I did briefly consider going Campy with this bike, but was eventually lured by the idea of keeping things American (even if it does all come from Taiwan...). Have you got a projected total for your build
Not yet. It’s such a mismatch of parts I’ve kind of thrown at it over the past few years. SRAM Force crank, Deda Superlegerro seatpost, Superzero bars, Zonda wheelset. I’ve never had much direction besides riding it. But like most people who spend any amount of time lurking here, you soon have visions of your own great build.

RJL

by RJL

Orbital wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:51 am
Not yet. It’s such a mismatch of parts I’ve kind of thrown at it over the past few years. SRAM Force crank, Deda Superlegerro seatpost, Superzero bars, Zonda wheelset. I’ve never had much direction besides riding it. But like most people who spend any amount of time lurking here, you soon have visions of your own great build.
I totally get that. Riding comes first! But then there's something about working on a bike and changing things that refreshes my motivation to get out and pedal. Really helps during the colder months! :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com