'19 54cm CAAD12 Disc Dreambike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

Longtime lurker, but I thought I would share.

Living in Colorado, all my favorite rides are climbing and descending nearlly all of the time. I'm big on stiffness and light weight, not too concerned about aero. Ultra low gears are also nice for a 190lb guy going up grades that are normally 6-8% but can reach 20% on some rides. I don't race, and I love long days in the saddle. I always loved the feel of aluminum, tempered with other carbon bits like forks, bar, seatpost etc. Carbon wheels will be a first for me. I'd rather pay $$$ for high end wheels, brakes and drivetrain than a high end carbon frame.

I just ordered a 2019 CAAD12. Waited for the 2019 to get the TA/flatmount fork with internal routing, and because the purple or silver/orange paint jobs on the '18 bikes didn't quite work for me. Surprised that the 105 bike is the only CAAD12 Disc offered for '19. The plain silver works for me, but is not very exciting. Maybe I'll think about a custom paint job some years down the road.

Anyways, I'm having it built with SRAM Red, Etap Disc, WiFli 11-32 SAVE seatpost, HG-SiSL2 cranks 50-34. Did I mention I need low gears for climbing?

I'll be using an I9.35 tubeless carbon disc wheelset (1355g claimed!) and my Zoncolan carbon saddle and my Ritchey micro v4 clipless pedals. I'll keep the stock C3 bar/stem until I evaluate the fit, and then replace with something carbon sized for me. I'll also look to replace any steel bolts with aluminum or titanium as safe and appropriate. Haven't decided on the tubeless rubber yet, probably go with Hutchinson or Scwalbe 25mm

I'm hoping the initial build with the stock C3 bar/stem, stock bolts will come out under 16 lbs, and I can bring it down to 15.5 with new bar/stem and some bolts. It's also possible I could be in for a pleasant surprise as I haven't really calculated and totalled every part's weight.

I'd love to hear everyone's thougths and feedback.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Welcome to the forum :welcome: That's a great first post, please add photos when the bike arrives. I like how over the years the amount of people with disk rides steadily increases.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seahuston

by seahuston

I just got an '18 supersix with the C3 bar/stem. The stem is actually pretty nice and has an integrated garmin mount. Both components are quite light (130 stem, 250 bar IIRC) so I think you'd see max 80g savings swapping them out FYI.

Sounds like an awesome build! Can't wait to see it

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

Thanks for the info re: bar/stem weights. Kinda surprised.

I'll definitely share pics.

I'm getting the I9.35 wheels tomorrow and I decided on the Hutchinons Performance Elevenstorm 25c tubeless tires.

Anyone have experience with these wheels? I chose them because of weight and width, but also because I like the double spokes on the drive side. I'm always breaking drive side spokes on my Bontrager TLR wheels.

sjwelsh19

by sjwelsh19

Love seeing this thread. Working for a cannondale dealer I myself am disapointed they only have the disc caad12 in the boring 105 silver version.

I will be ordering mine next week. Torn between Etap or Ultegra di2. Honestly, my personal opinion is Etap feels kinda cheap but ive been a Di2 die hard for years so im biased.

Looking forward to watching your build come together. Will post pics of mine when the time comes!

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

I worked for a 'dale dealer a long, long time ago in a state far, far away (got the original Super V when it came out in '93!) I used to LOVE assembling new 'dales from the box.

I've always been a bit partial to them, but have been riding a Motobecane alum/carbon stay bike that I upgraded to to Sram Red/force and got down to just around 16lbs.. Budget weight weenie stuff.

On the other hand, I've fallen out of love with Shimano a long time ago. My Motobecane came with Ultegra, and after a year it never shifted like new. I've had way too many failed, irreplacable parts, too many incompatible standards, and too many special Shimano tools. I don't mean to debate or knock anyone else's choices, but that's been my experience over the decades.

Never riden Di2 or Etap, but I just like the philosphy of Etap. Why have wires in 2018? Why replicated the controls of mechanical shifters? Why have to hide the battery somewhere in the frame or seatpost? (do they still do that?). Love that the batteries are interchangable. Hopefully the reality approaches the design goals.

Thanks for the feedback/encouragement/validation. I need that when dropping big $ on a bicycle.

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

Got it and put it together finally!

My first upgrade will be to a 135mm Swiss RWS Ti rear skewer, as its not a thru-axle.
Also swapping out steel water bottle bolts for aluminum is a no-brainer.
Then, once I form an opinion on the width of the stock handlebar compared to what I had been riding, I'll order a nice carbon bar, and eventually a carbon stem when I settle on the right length and rise.
That and swapping out all the steel bolts I can find for titanium.

But I'm still on the fence on the SAVE seatpost. Yes, I need to weigh it to see what we're taling about, but I think I can drop a chunk of weight by shortening it and getting rid of the Di2 aluminum hardware inside, while swapping the bolts for Ti. On the other hand, I can get the Hylix online for $50 or so and sell the SAVE for $150-200. SAVE is supposed to be shock absorbing, so I might just call it a performance upgrade over the Hylix and deal with an extra few grams.

But right now, I'm afraid to ride it because it's so immaculate and it will never be again after the first ride.

Anyone know the feeling?

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Awesome build! I haven’t had any issues with my Hylix post and I usually put in some long hours on the CAAD 12.

:)
:beerchug:

velov

by velov

Denverweenie wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Never riden Di2 or Etap, but I just like the philosphy of Etap. Why have wires in 2018? Why replicated the controls of mechanical shifters? Why have to hide the battery somewhere in the frame or seatpost? (do they still do that?). Love that the batteries are interchangable. Hopefully the reality approaches the design goals.

Thanks for the feedback/encouragement/validation. I need that when dropping big $ on a bicycle.
The philosophy makes sense but there's just no arguing that Di2 has less issues than Etap (just look at the Etap thread). Also, you don't need to show the battery if it only gets charged after months. Wireless is a great idea but I'm going to wait till Shimano implements it, they usually nail it perfectly by v2.0.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Denverweenie wrote:Got it and put it together finally!

My first upgrade will be to a 135mm Swiss RWS Ti rear skewer, as its not a thru-axle.
Also swapping out steel water bottle bolts for aluminum is a no-brainer.
Then, once I form an opinion on the width of the stock handlebar compared to what I had been riding, I'll order a nice carbon bar, and eventually a carbon stem when I settle on the right length and rise.
That and swapping out all the steel bolts I can find for titanium.

But I'm still on the fence on the SAVE seatpost. Yes, I need to weigh it to see what we're taling about, but I think I can drop a chunk of weight by shortening it and getting rid of the Di2 aluminum hardware inside, while swapping the bolts for Ti. On the other hand, I can get the Hylix online for $50 or so and sell the SAVE for $150-200. SAVE is supposed to be shock absorbing, so I might just call it a performance upgrade over the Hylix and deal with an extra few grams.

But right now, I'm afraid to ride it because it's so immaculate and it will never be again after the first ride.

Anyone know the feeling?
Bike looks nice and clean!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

@velov Yes, I'm familiar with the Etap issues, but I'm just a SRAM guy and I'm hoping the kinks have been worked out. I just love the clean look too.

@FLtrooper Which Hylix do you have, the one with the round clamp or the super-light one with the Thompson-like clamp? I think I need the round clamp because of the offset mount, but not sure yet.

Here's a pic from the side of the road during from my first ride. Bonus points for anyone who recognizes this rather popular ride (more bikes than cars usually)

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Denverweenie wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:00 pm
Here's a pic from the side of the road during from my first ride. Bonus points for anyone who recognizes this rather popular ride (more bikes than cars usually)
I'd go with Lookout Mtn. Looks like South Table Mtn on the right and North Table Mtn on the left, but hard to tell for me from the picture size. Almost looks like you hopped the guardrail on the last bit before it flattens out - where the sign says No Trespassing.

I'd say keep your SAVE seatpost - heard mixed reviews of the cheaper Chinese carbon ones (Q.C. seems terrible on them). Some people have great luck with them and others not so much.

Interesting choice to go with discs. I've thought about it, but even here in CO I don't think they're necessary. Plus I hate how Cannondale doesn't use TAs front and rear on the disc brake road bikes (yet). Maybe when the new SuperSix comes out...

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

@MountainAddict Wow, exactly right! Were you there yesterday?

I have TA front, but not rear.

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Denverweenie wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:31 pm
@MountainAddict Wow, exactly right! Were you there yesterday?
Lol, I spend a lot of time riding Lookout - I work in Golden. Rode it today at lunch to confirm that was the spot after I posted that comment.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

I have the Thompson style mount hylix. You could use it with perhaps a lowered and longer stem? Btw..
What’s your impression of Etap? Does it work as seamless as it looks?

:)
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com